The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Lou Lamoriello named Leafs GM

b3.

Brendan Shanahan, President and Alternate Governor of the Toronto Maple Leafs, announced today that Lou Lamoriello has been named the 16th General Manager in the Club’s history. Lamoriello joins the Leafs after previously spending the last 28 years in the New Jersey Devils organization.

Lamoriello first joined the Devils as President and General Manager in 1987. Under his leadership, New Jersey went to the Stanley Cup Playoffs 21 times, won nine division titles, went to the Stanley Cup Final five times and won the Cup on three occasions (1995, 2000 and 2003). The Devils also made 13 consecutive post-season berths from 1997-2010 and finished with a winning record every season from 1992-93 through 2009-10.

Lamoriello also served as Interim Head Coach during three different seasons – most recently the 2014-15 season as he served as co-coach alongside Scott Stevens and Adam Oates for the final 46 games of the regular season (20-19-7). On May 4, 2015, Ray Shero was introduced as the Devils’ new General Manager while Lamoriello remained in his role as President of Hockey Operations. He finished as the longest serving General Manager of any one team in the history of the NHL at 28 years (1987-2015).

In 1996, Lamoriello served as General Manager for Team USA as they won the World Cup of Hockey. He was also General Manager of Team USA at the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics. His many accomplishments have earned him a number of prestigious awards, including induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame in the Builder Category in 2009 and into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in 2012.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=775458

I thought Twitter was trolling me, but Lou has stepped down as president of the Devils to go to the Leafs. :wacko:

Bad signing imo. Lou Lamoriello was great in his tenure with the Devils overall, but he no longer knows how to build a hockey team in the new era, look no further to what he's done this year. I've always disliked the Devils for using the trap system like crazy, because it kind of killed the game to be honest.

I like Dubas though, that guy is a boss and should be the boss.

Bad signing imo. Lou Lamoriello was great in his tenure with the Devils overall, but he no longer knows how to build a hockey team in the new era, look no further to what he's done this year. I've always disliked the Devils for using the trap system like crazy, because it kind of killed the game to be honest.

Same could be said about Glen Sather in NY. Everyone said he was too oldschool, the Rangers stood by him and he built a contender.

Same could be said about Glen Sather in NY. Everyone said he was too oldschool, the Rangers stood by him and he built a contender.

But Lou Lamoriello would've stayed as the GM of New Jersey if he was competent. Personally I don't see how a new team would change much for him, to be very honest, I believe that the Leafs hired Lou for his contacts and nothing else. I can't see him making decisions with the new analytical/science side that the Leafs are heading with Dubas and their analytics department.

Lou's accomplishments look very good on paper..

What are these sarcastic little dots ..?

The Devils were absolutely nothing, they were a joke. LA saved that franchise.

I would put him up with Holland and Bowman in the best GM's EVER club.

i alwaus found their style to reflect their salary cap/money invested. They leaned on marty and steven/neitermire(sp) and never really had anyone else. Just those are the goats.

Linden

Benning

Desjardins

(1 Assistant GM Cup)

or

Shanahan

Lamoriello

Babcock

(3 players Cups)

(3 GM Cups)

(Tripple Gold coach (1 coach Cup))

Let me guess the answer:

We don't need Cup winning individuals in Vancouver. We're retooling, wish we were rebuilding, we don't need a T1D, we don't need #1 Miller. Let's tank for the next McDavid who should come next decade.

Stop gap. He will be the GM for a year or two until Dubas is ready to take over.

I honestly don't understand why they even hired anyone. They've made trades, signed players, and drafted without a gm. What is Lou going to do there. Just seems like a fall guy to me.

Archived