The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shocking case of racist cabbie abuse in Calgary caught on video

TheFirstLine

Beside the point. What was being discussed is whether the guy is actually a racist or not.

A lot of racists will keep it under their hat when sober, because they know they could become pariahs if it were common knowledge. Add excessive amounts of alcohol and a lot of these closet racists show their true colors.

As I said in my previous post, this is something I witnessed first hand, when I was bartending.

Honestly, that may be racism, but that doesn't make the guy a racist. I guess we can assume he is an alcoholic too.

People throw that word around like crazy.

Honestly, that may be racism, but that doesn't make the guy a racist. I guess we can assume he is an alcoholic too.

I'd really like to hear your definition of a racist, because from what I see and hear, this guy definitely fits the bill.

Do you wait for the white hoods and burning crosses to come out before calling someone a racist?

What are you talking about? By definition, if someone you are doing can be defined as "racism," you are a racist.

On a similar note, your argument is idiotic so you are an....

One of my friends was hammered and being an ass too the cab driver. I had the cab driver stop, kick my buddy out the cab and took it home myself. Got the cab drivers personal line for whenever I need a ride home now when drunk.

Swag.

I have heard of cab drivers giving their personal line to regular passengers or people they know well...

My definition of a racist is someone who is devoted to the elimination of all minority's. I know I'm going to sound like a pompous a$$ here but if you guys think this drunk idiot is a real racist then you really have no idea what is going on outside of the lower mainland.

Go to Mississippi, South Carolina, or Alabama and see the people that are in an outright state of war against blacks, Jews, gays, ect. I have spent many years working with these beauties in the Oil and Gas industry and it's deep genuine hate. I know guys that would get drunk and drive around their town looking for black people to throw beer bottles at. It also goes the other way too. How many neighbourhoods have you been to that would get you 100% shot if you entered it as a white person?

Those are Racists.

This guy isn't part of any organization or overwhelming cultural belief shared by his fellow racist friends and family. He is drunk and trying to piss this guy off. He is whiskey raging and probably coked out. You don't need a reason to rage when you get all messed up.

I know from personal experience that alcohol effects people differently.

When I drank hard booze I would black out and take my gonch off and try to fight my mom or my brother or my cat for god sake. Then I'd go outside and throw rocks at my house and take a crap on my front step. It had nothing to do with how I felt or acted when I was sober.

I also remember a time where I peed on the front council of a cab from the back seat. The guy literally looked like big show and he grabbed his fresh, scalding, extra large, double double and threw it on me. Burning me in all areas. I apologized and he became my go too cab driver, I'd call his personal cell. Does that make me a racist?

My definition of a racist is someone who is devoted to the elimination of all minority's. I know I'm going to sound like a pompous a$$ here but if you guys think this drunk idiot is a real racist then you really have no idea what is going on outside of the lower mainland.

Go to Mississippi, South Carolina, or Alabama and see the people that are in an outright state of war against blacks, Jews, gays, ect. I have spent many years working with these beauties in the Oil and Gas industry and it's deep genuine hate. I know guys that would get drunk and drive around their town looking for black people to throw beer bottles at. It also goes the other way too. How many neighbourhoods have you been to that would get you 100% shot if you entered it as a white person?

Those are Racists.

This guy isn't part of any organization or overwhelming cultural belief shared by his fellow racist friends and family. He is drunk and trying to piss this guy off. He is whiskey raging and probably coked out. You don't need a reason to rage when you get all messed up.

When I drank hard booze I would black out and take my gonch off and try to fight my mom or my brother or my cat for god sake. Then I'd go outside and throw rocks at my house and take a crap on my front step. It had nothing to do with how I felt or acted when I was sober.

I also remember a time where I peed on the front council of a cab from the back seat. The guy literally looked like big show and he grabbed his fresh, scalding, extra large, double double and threw it on me. Burning me in all areas. I apologized and he became my go too cab driver, I'd call his personal cell. Does that make me a racist?

Yes, you are.

You don't get to decide what the definition of racist is. As has been said before many times, there are many types of racism and it often comes in subtler form.

What you're describing is extreme racism, but in no way is it the only description.

Those are Racists.

There's degrees of racism and there's degrees of "loss of inhibition" when people are drunk.

What happens to you is not the norm because people generally don't black out.

Is labamba a crazy drunk?

I have always hated being with those people that can't handle their liquor.. Like they do stupid stuff like climbing trees or trying to fight random people..

What happened to just walking around drunk...

I remember when I first started drinking (been sober for two years now) I used to get weird psychological affects like seeing giant spider webs on trees lol or not being able recognize someone's face who I liked.

I have always hated being with those people that can't handle their liquor.. Like they do stupid stuff like climbing trees or trying to fight random people..

I remember when I first started drinking (been sober for two years now) I used to get weird psychological affects like seeing giant spider webs on trees lol or not being able recognize someone's face who I liked.

We used to categorize some of our patrons as "happy drunks" and "ugly drunks".

For obvious reason, the "happy" drunks got more leeway. OTOH, there were a few extreme cases, where we consistently refused service to one or two "ugly drunks", because we knew that he or she was always going to cause trouble after a drink or two.

Most of that crazy stuff happened like 16 years ago when I was a young fella. I don't even drink anymore because I became a raging alcoholic.

Yes, you are.

You don't get to decide what the definition of racist is. As has been said before many times, there are many types of racism and it often comes in subtler form.

What you're describing is extreme racism, but in no way is it the only description.

Yes there is many types and degrees of racism but in order to be labelled a Racist, I would say you would need to exhibit this behaviour consistently and not just when your drunk in a cab.

And one more thing, don't be calling me a racist. That term has a far more extreme meaning to me. Very few people deserve to be called that. Who are you to decide.

It's like calling yourself a Christian. Yes, you go to church once in a blue moon and you thank god in front of people, but do you really live and act like a Christian? Do your actions define you as one?

Yes there is many types and degrees of racism but in order to be labelled a Racist, I would say you would need to exhibit this behaviour consistently and not just when your drunk in a cab.

And one more thing, don't be calling me a racist.

I would disagree with the bolded sentence, but that's alright. We can agree to disagree.

However, I have never called you a racist.

Most of that crazy stuff happened like 16 years ago when I was a young fella. I don't even drink anymore because I became a raging alcoholic.

And one more thing, don't be calling me a racist. That term has a far more extreme meaning to me. Very few people deserve to be called that. Who are you to decide.

It's like calling yourself a Christian. Yes, you go to church once in a blue moon and you thank god in front of people, but do you really live and act like a Christian? Do your actions define you as one?

Personally, I wouldn't rely on what the public says to determine anything. General rule is, public goes left, logic goes right.

Archived