The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Movie Theater Shooting, 8 people shot in Lafayette, Louisiana

Apparent that one would have to spend some years living in the U.S. To understand the environment and psyche.

I'll have to research into the avg Americans violent experience history.

Violence has forever been a part of US History. There were violent struggles against the US Constitutional Convention between federalists and anti-federalists because of the varying degrees of disagreement. The people writing the federalist and anti-federalist papers wanted to publish using a pseudonym both to appear objective, and to avoid possibly being killed. It has been repeatedly stated numerous times in history books about violent rebellion against the US, the last serious one to my knowledge being the Civil War, although there have been spats of violence with gangs and cults.

Another thing is the US being a melting pot. It allows people from more barbaric cultures where violence is a means of getting what you want to move there, with decreasing amounts of assimilation required, to a point today where overwhelming people of Hispanic background from countries like Mexico are allowed in illegally, and a lot of these people, while being offered free ESL services at the behest of taxpayers, still refuse to learn the local language -- they actually get mad at people for not speaking Spanish. This likewise helps create conflict, which is not too unlike what you've been seeing for a long while in the US, and now in European countries like Sweden and France. These are just a few examples, but yeah.

Americans in their homes see violence on TV, and many that would seem smarter keep their children at home too. That means more idiots and troublemakers are out and about. It appears like in many instances, the moral fabric of the US has long been tearing apart, and decent people are giving up and secluding themselves.

Violence has forever been a part of US History. There were violent struggles against the US Constitutional Convention between federalists and anti-federalists because of the varying degrees of disagreement. The people writing the federalist and anti-federalist papers wanted to publish using a pseudonym both to appear objective, and to avoid possibly being killed. It has been repeatedly stated numerous times in history books about violent rebellion against the US, the last serious one to my knowledge being the Civil War, although there have been spats of violence with gangs and cults.

Another thing is the US being a melting pot. It allows people from more barbaric cultures where violence is a means of getting what you want to move there, with decreasing amounts of assimilation required, to a point today where overwhelming people of Hispanic background from countries like Mexico are allowed in illegally, and a lot of these people, while being offered free ESL services at the behest of taxpayers, still refuse to learn the local language -- they actually get mad at people for not speaking Spanish. This likewise helps create conflict, which is not too unlike what you've been seeing for a long while in the US, and now in European countries like Sweden and France. These are just a few examples, but yeah.

Americans in their homes see violence on TV, and many that would seem smarter keep their children at home too. That means more idiots and troublemakers are out and about. It appears like in many instances, the moral fabric of the US has long been tearing apart, and decent people are giving up and secluding themselves.

To be honest what you describe in your last two paragraphs sounds no different than Canada. Difference being population numbers.

So the common denominator is violent tendency as a culture. Sadly, imo, this will only become worse.

What I'm interested in, as I stated in my previous post, would be some survey type research stats involving average American families/citizens and their personal experience with gun related violence. By average I mean middle income suburbia. I realize inner city, poorer areas would have more gun violence.

Sure is tough to see a solution to this issue. I think we could all agree on steps to a solution that make sense but probably are impossible to implement. Unfortunately one has to accept that this is the world we live in.

Wow. I just got all Phil Collins there at the end.

To be honest what you describe in your last two paragraphs sounds no different than Canada. Difference being population numbers.

So the common denominator is violent tendency as a culture. Sadly, imo, this will only become worse.

What I'm interested in, as I stated in my previous post, would be some survey type research stats involving average American families/citizens and their personal experience with gun related violence. By average I mean middle income suburbia. I realize inner city, poorer areas would have more gun violence.

Sure is tough to see a solution to this issue. I think we could all agree on steps to a solution that make sense but probably are impossible to implement. Unfortunately one has to accept that this is the world we live in.

Wow. I just got all Phil Collins there at the end.

No doubt we're affected by what happens in the US. I mean, ever since I've been a member here we've debated more American politics than Canadian. :lol:

As for accepting things, that's why I elected to move to Canada, to get away from that type of violence. I don't want to have to be put in a position to have to defend my childrens' lives. There's a much lower necessity of that in Canada. There's a much higher chance of my children, especially when they're out on their own after school, making it healthwise too, rather than worrying about "does my insurance cover xxx?", "can I afford it?".

Canada very much lacks the culture of violence and overall cultural mistrust that's so overwhelmingly present in the US.

My advice is, go visit somewhere in the South. Go into one of those areas with populations of different races (Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta). You can sometimes literally feel the tension between races that's just non-existent here. I'm filling up a rental car tank of gas, go into the convenience store, you can feel it that the black guy you walk by is eyeballing you and doesn't feel comfortable around you. I dunno if most people pick up on this, it could just be my severe ADHD as to why I pick up on it so easily, but it does make for an uncomfortable environment. Part of me wanted to be like "sup dude", just to break the tension, because I don't feel comfortable in that kind of environment, but I'm afraid he'd go Ferguson on me. In an environment like that, I'd find myself looking around and keeping an eye on everyone, because it's clear as day there's no trust between people. All you can trust is that if one loon pulls out a gun, there might be some CC people there to plug him before he does any significant damage. A far cry from what happens in Canada. Go to the store, I look around, people treat you nice, I have amazingly good relationships with people who don't look like me, I shake people's hand at random, totally engaged. I just hope we don't become like the US.

No doubt we're affected by what happens in the US. I mean, ever since I've been a member here we've debated more American politics than Canadian. :lol:

As for accepting things, that's why I elected to move to Canada, to get away from that type of violence. I don't want to have to be put in a position to have to defend my childrens' lives. There's a much lower necessity of that in Canada. There's a much higher chance of my children, especially when they're out on their own after school, making it healthwise too, rather than worrying about "does my insurance cover xxx?", "can I afford it?".

Canada very much lacks the culture of violence and overall cultural mistrust that's so overwhelmingly present in the US.

My advice is, go visit somewhere in the South. Go into one of those areas with populations of different races (Memphis, Jackson, Birmingham, Atlanta). You can sometimes literally feel the tension between races that's just non-existent here. I'm filling up a rental car tank of gas, go into the convenience store, you can feel it that the black guy you walk by is eyeballing you and doesn't feel comfortable around you. I dunno if most people pick up on this, it could just be my severe ADHD as to why I pick up on it so easily, but it does make for an uncomfortable environment. Part of me wanted to be like "sup dude", just to break the tension, because I don't feel comfortable in that kind of environment, but I'm afraid he'd go Ferguson on me. In an environment like that, I'd find myself looking around and keeping an eye on everyone, because it's clear as day there's no trust between people. All you can trust is that if one loon pulls out a gun, there might be some CC people there to plug him before he does any significant damage. A far cry from what happens in Canada. Go to the store, I look around, people treat you nice, I have amazingly good relationships with people who don't look like me, I shake people's hand at random, totally engaged. I just hope we don't become like the US.

Ambien? Is this really you??

Archived