The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Capitals Sign Ryan Stanton

Chris

Trabur landuh and jump buning don't want to keep gillis acquired assets.

Hence letting Santo walk, Matthias, not giving Jensen and Hunter even the slightest chances, etc etc

They don't want Mike Gillis pieces remaining. They think they can sort out the meat and potaterz of this club

Markstrom, Horvat, Subban, Corrado, Hutton, Tanev, Edler and more say hai!

Jensen hasn't made it because he hasn't earned it and has regressed significantly... he wasn't even that strong of a pick when he was drafted "meh" comes to mind.

Shinkaruk just hasn't been ready, after a shortened season in the WHL due to an off season surgery, he spent his first pro year in the AHL gaining strength etc.

Santorelli was always just a stop gap piece, as was Matthias.

This is about forming the right team for the right reasons, Stanton ate up not only a contract spot, but a roster spot and for a marginal defenceman it wasn't worth it. Everyone saying he's going to be a T4 is out to lunch; Chicago waived him because he didn't make the cut, and because they deemed him expendable and a non-factor if nothing in return were received for him. I'll trust Bowman and now Benning's judge of talent over CDCers any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Have you heard of waivers?

Heh, didn't realize Clendening and Corrado were both waiver eligible now; Still a mistake to allow Stanton to walk for nothing, I would have preferred to keep him, at 26, Stanton still has his best years still ahead of him - and considering what our Defense could look like without Hamhuis/Edler, and how much grit we've lost in Bieksa and now Stanton..... I'm not looking forward to battling with bigger teams like Anaheim & LA this season.

He's a future top 4 and the posters here know it. No one in the league knows it.

I'd say he'll be a marginal Top-4 dman. Basically, if he's part of your Top 4, you likely are not a serious contender.

The guy is a steady, simple defenceman, and surely will be a regular in someone's NHL lineup, but let's not get carried away here.

Oh yeah, it'll be all eyes on the 7th defenceman, I liked him, but he's not that good. The guys that we made room for are younger and can improve.

Fascinating

Is that maybe because he is still a prospect?

Even more fascinating reading your first comment.

Heh, didn't realize Clendening and Corrado were both waiver eligible now; Still a mistake to allow Stanton to walk for nothing, I would have preferred to keep him, at 26, Stanton still has his best years still ahead of him - and considering what our Defense could look like without Hamhuis/Edler, and how much grit we've lost in Bieksa and now Stanton..... I'm not looking forward to battling with bigger teams like Anaheim & LA this season.

Yeah, I guess we should have re-signed him and suckered an asset out of someone. Now that's some leverage.

I guess it's good that we have Sbisa who is bigger, tougher, and faster than Stanton. Don't get me wrong, I like him. He looks to my amateur eyes to be able to be a 6D in the league.

Jensen hasn't made it because he hasn't earned it and has regressed significantly... he wasn't even that strong of a pick when he was drafted "meh" comes to mind.

Shinkaruk just hasn't been ready, after a shortened season in the WHL due to an off season surgery, he spent his first pro year in the AHL gaining strength etc.

This is about forming the right team for the right reasons, Stanton ate up not only a contract spot, but a roster spot and for a marginal defenceman it wasn't worth it. Everyone saying he's going to be a T4 is out to lunch; Chicago waived him because he didn't make the cut, and because they deemed him expendable and a non-factor if nothing in return were received for him. I'll trust Bowman and now Benning's judge of talent over CDCers any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

But you miss the point that I'm a much better judge of canucks talent than bowman or jum bunneng.

I cover this team and all its players religiously. There's 0 doubt in my mind that JB has way less insight on our roster than I do. I'm sure he has a better idea of the 29 other teams but not the canucks and definitely not yet. Maybe in 2 years If he stays focused full time.

But you miss the point that I'm a much better judge of canucks talent than bowman or jum bunneng.

I cover this team and all its players religiously. There's 0 doubt in my mind that JB has way less insight on our roster than I do. I'm sure he has a better idea of the 29 other teams but not the canucks and definitely not yet. Maybe in 2 years If he stays focused full time.

You are serious? And drunk?

Watch Barry Trotz utilize him properly vs Prairie Willie, Desjardins couldn't hold Trotz's jock.

If we're losing Hamhuis and Edler, Stanton would not be able to come even close to filling their spots. Wouldn't be too hard to find a stop gap in free agency that's better than Stanton.

He is going to become a solid and laughably good top 4 in Washington in the next 2 years or so.

I like Stanton, but I don't see this happening when they have all these guys either playing or waiting in the wings:

Alzner

Carlson

Niskanen

Orlov

Orpik

Bowey

Schmidt

Carrick

Archived