The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gay pride march through Muslim areas of Stockholm draws ire of left-wing Swedes

Mr. Ambien

Swedish nationalists plan gay 'pride' march through Muslim areas of Stockholm

The event, organized by former editor of far-right Sweden Democrats' newspaper, draws left-wing ire on social media, spurs planned counter-demonstration.

Swedish nationalists are planning a gay 'pride' march through Muslim-majority districts in the country's capital, according to media reports and a dedicated Facebook page.

The march, called 'Pride Järva,' is scheduled to take place on July 29, and will pass through Tensta and Husby, majority-Muslim districts in Stockholm's north. (Järva is the name of an adjacent area.) Husby was the center of the 2013 Stockholm riots, which began in response to allegations of police brutality.

According to the event's Facebook page, the march will include public “kissing."

The organizer of the march, Jan Sjunnesson, is the former editor of the far-right Sweden Democrats' newspaper, the Samtiden. The Sweden Democrats are known for their anti-immigration policies, and came out strongly in support of the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten when it published cartoons derogatively depicting the Prophet Mohammed in 2005.

'Expression of pure racism'

The scheduled march has been criticized as provocative and racist by those on the left, with angry comments appearing on the event's Facebook page. Two residents of the Jarva area, Noah Nord and Emelie Mårtensson, claim that 'Jarva Pride' “pits two oppressed groups against each other,” and have organized a counter-demonstration.

One person to defend the march is evolutionary biologist and outspoken atheist Richard Dawkins, who slammed criticism of the event as emblematic of "the pathetic Left."

“To place an LGBT parade” [in a Muslim area of Sweden] “is an expression of pure racism.” Sums up the pathetic Left. http://t.co/kfFQXjzVtR — Richard Dawkins (@RichardDawkins) July 23, 2015

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.667637

You know you've gone beyond crazy when even Dawkins thinks you're off your rocker.

I kind of see both sides of the issue...while I in no way whatsoever think the march could be labeled "racist", even in the broadest definition of the word, & believe that people (generally) should be able to do what they like as long as they aren't hurting others, part of me can't help but think that maybe it's not necessary to rub it in the muslim community's eye.

Wait... so this is Sweden's far right planning a gay pride parade through Muslims neighbourhood for no reason than to piss off Muslims? Ok that's pathetic beyond believe. Good job on better people for speaking up against this stupidity.

And thank you OP for bring this up to point out the stupidity of the right in Sweden.

So is the Off-Topic forum now just a place where we passively post topics about how ridiculous the other side of our argument can be? It would be great if topics could be posted for the purpose of generating discussion rather than just trying to illustrate a long-standing point the OP is trying to make

"The left is crazy"

"The right is crazy"

"Religion is persecutory"

"Atheists are hypocrites"

There are going to be idiots EVERYWHERE.

So is the Off-Topic forum now just a place where we passively post topics about how ridiculous the other side of our argument can be? It would be great if topics could be posted for the purpose of generating discussion rather than just trying to illustrate a long-standing point the OP is trying to make

"The left is crazy"

"The right is crazy"

"Religion is persecutory"

"Atheists are hypocrites"

There are going to be idiots EVERYWHERE.

Did you miss the years of religious bashing threads?

Harper bashing threads?

Conservative bashing threads?

American bashing threads?

Redneck bashing threads?

People bash everything.

I kind of see both sides of the issue...while I in no way whatsoever think the march could be labeled "racist", even in the broadest definition of the word, & believe that people (generally) should be able to do what they like as long as they aren't hurting others, part of me can't help but think that maybe it's not necessary to rub it in the muslim community's eye.

Actually rubbing it in their faces is kind of the point, isn't it? Any movement's rights isn't about shying away from people who don't like them. So really if Muslims don't like it, they should move to a place where gays get beheaded. There are plenty of those countries in the Middle East and Africa. So I would advise gay pride be exclusively held in Muslim areas until they figure it out.

Did you miss the years of religious bashing threads?

Harper bashing threads?

Conservative bashing threads?

American bashing threads?

Redneck bashing threads?

People bash everything.

Actually rubbing it in their faces is kind of the point, isn't it? Any movement's rights isn't about shying away from people who don't like them. So really if Muslims don't like it, they should move to a place where gays get beheaded. There are plenty of those countries in the Middle East and Africa. So I would advise gay pride be exclusively held in Muslim areas until they figure it out.

Pretending to be confused between constructive criticism vs bashing: Fox News disciple.

Wait.... so promoting LGBT ideas onto a Christian bakery..... it's ok? But forcing doing the same for Muslims.... not ok?

I personally don't think this should even be any issue. That area isn't a Muslim country, with Sharia law in place. It's Sweden, people are free to do whatever they want.

Wait.... so promoting LGBT ideas onto a Christian bakery..... it's ok? But forcing doing the same for Muslims.... not ok?

I personally don't think this should even be any issue. That area isn't a Muslim country, with Sharia law in place. It's Sweden, people are free to do whatever they want.

What happened to the Christian bakery, happened in the US. A completely different country than the one in question here. I'm not sure where you're confused.

Now someone gets the entertaining double standard of the left.

Took a while, but finally happened. :)

Archived