The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gay pride march through Muslim areas of Stockholm draws ire of left-wing Swedes

Mr. Ambien

Weird how it's been no concern for gay pride to be waved in the faces of Christians but when it comes to Muslims it draws comparisons of racism. It's quite an entertaining mishmash of standards. There's no reason Muslims Jews or Buddhists shouldn't endure the same thing. After all.. the message of freedom and equality is supposed to mean more than the prejudices of religious people. However.. the left's ass kissing of Muslims is quite evident as you can see even to people like Dawkins.

Weird how it's been no concern for Christian homophobia to be waved in the faces of gays by right wingers, but when it comes to Muslims it draws a right wing pro-gay march. It's quite an entertaining mishmash of standards.

:picard:

Being centrist is the best approach IMO..

There some elements I like/hate from the left as I do with the right..

It's a false dichotomy that needs to be rejected.

Weird how it's been no concern for gay pride to be waved in the faces of Christians but when it comes to Muslims it draws comparisons of racism. It's quite an entertaining mishmash of standards. There's no reason Muslims Jews or Buddhists shouldn't endure the same thing. After all.. the message of freedom and equality is supposed to mean more than the prejudices of religious people. However.. the left's ass kissing of Muslims is quite evident as you can see even to people like Dawkins.

"Islamaphobia", "racist". Terms inappropriately used by cowards as Hitchens pointed out more than one occasion. This avoidance of honest criticism is dangerous itself. Not speaking of this instance but in general. I like Ben Affleck but he was wrong when arguing Sam Harris; "it's gross!", "it's racist!". There's too many Affleck's in the world and that's not good either.

2cwx10j.jpg

What are "Muslim areas" anyway? Like Sikh/Hindu areas in Abbotsford?

"Islamaphobia", "racist". Terms inappropriately used by cowards as Hitchens pointed out more than one occasion. This avoidance of honest criticism is dangerous itself. Not speaking of this instance but in general. I like Ben Affleck but he was wrong when arguing Sam Harris; "it's gross!", "it's racist!". There's too many Affleck's in the world and that's not good either.

2cwx10j.jpg

Areas they decide to congregate. Like South Asians in Brampton (or NE Calgary), South Asians/Chinese in Markham and Scarborough, Italians and Jews in Vaughan and Thornhill, and so on.

Or, in leftist speak.. "where white people segregate them to".

"Islamaphobia", "racist". Terms inappropriately used by cowards as Hitchens pointed out more than one occasion. This avoidance of honest criticism is dangerous itself. Not speaking of this instance but in general. I like Ben Affleck but he was wrong when arguing Sam Harris; "it's gross!", "it's racist!". There's too many Affleck's in the world and that's not good either.2cwx10j.jpg

I must admit it I was guilty of this earlier on, but now it makes all sense.

The only thing I disagree is that Islamophobia is real like anti-semitism, and there's nothing coward about it using that term if it fits the crime and context.

Yes similar to what's going in Surrey and other places.. Muslim areas would be like any other ethnic enclave that have existed throughout history.. Most of the time it involves some sort of ghetto or separation from the rest of the population for whatever reasons.

It would be similar to like little Italy in NYC or the French quarter in New Orleans just maybe more backwards and dare I say extreme?

I must admit it I was guilty of this earlier on, but now it makes all sense.

The only thing I disagree is that Islamophobia is real like anti-semitism, and there's nothing coward about it using that term if it fits the crime and context.

Yes similar to what's going in Surrey and other places.. Muslim areas would be like any other ethnic enclave that have existed throughout history.. Most of the time it involves some sort of ghetto or separation from the rest of the population for whatever reasons.

It would be similar to like little Italy in NYC or the French quarter in New Orleans just maybe more backwards and dare I say extreme?

It gets into racism when people start criticizing anything "brown". In the states in particular, Sikh's, for example, are often confused for Muslims or Arabs. I've heard of brown skinned people in general referred to by military people as "haji's" (if I spelled that right). That.. would be racism.

OTOH, kind of like the "global warming" crap has been rebranded into "climate change", it looks like "racism" is now being absorbed into the next buzzword, "bigotry", to encompass racism, sexism, and of course something to call those criticizing belief systems one wishes to illogically defend via outrage/feelings.

I kind of see both sides of the issue...while I in no way whatsoever think the march could be labeled "racist", even in the broadest definition of the word, & believe that people (generally) should be able to do what they like as long as they aren't hurting others, part of me can't help but think that maybe it's not necessary to rub it in the muslim community's eye.

As long as we tiptoe around and appease certain groups it's catering to discrimination and allowing ridiculous oppression to prevail. Gays and lesbians should not have to be careful of where they parade...just as that applies to any other group.

Muslims, while free to practice their religions and beliefs, don't automatically and by default get to impose that on others around them and their issue with gays is just that - theirs to deal with. It doesn't overrule or get to impose rules by way of it.

There are things that different groups will find offensive or unfavourable by way of their ideas and beliefs but that doesn't mean you don't do them. If they are lawful and not harmful, there should be nothing standing in the way of the freedom to carry on. And to suggest the routing is wrong means that one group is prevailing over another group and stripping them of their basic freedom and rights...how is that fair? All people are included in that, not just religious people. And I believe gay people should be moreso honoured in that, as they are born gay and it's not something they adopt into their lives or have a choice about...religion is.

I don't believe in praying on my knees in public several times a day but if someone is, all the power to them. I admire them for their practices and am respectful of their right to do so - I don't demand they stay out of my neighbourhood. And I don't think it would be well received to do so.

A parade is not "provoking" anyone and that's the wrong mindset. It's a celebration and a happy event, one which no one should be denied of.

As long as we tiptoe around and appease certain groups it's catering to discrimination and allowing ridiculous oppression to prevail. Gays and lesbians should not have to be careful of where they parade...just as that applies to any other group.

Muslims, while free to practice their religions and beliefs, don't automatically and by default get to impose that on others around them and their issue with gays is just that - theirs to deal with. It doesn't overrule or get to impose rules by way of it.

There are things that different groups will find offensive or unfavourable by way of their ideas and beliefs but that doesn't mean you don't do them. If they are lawful and not harmful, there should be nothing standing in the way of the freedom to carry on. And to suggest the routing is wrong means that one group is prevailing over another group and stripping them of their basic freedom and rights...how is that fair? All people are included in that, not just religious people. And I believe gay people should be moreso honoured in that, as they are born gay and it's not something they adopt into their lives or have a choice about...religion is.

I don't believe in praying on my knees in public several times a day but if someone is, all the power to them. I admire them for their practices and am respectful of their right to do so - I don't demand they stay out of my neighbourhood. And I don't think it would be well received to do so.

A parade is not "provoking" anyone and that's the wrong mindset. It's a celebration and a happy event, one which no one should be denied of.

That is all the more reason to hold the parade in a less hostile environment, to celebrate amongst those who also wish to celebrate...it's kinda like holding a Death Metal concert next to a church on Sunday at 9 am, sure you have the right, but is it really the best place? Is it maybe a little bit inflammatory & unnecessary? What if Boston had their Cup parade in downtown Vancouver?

If this was a planned protest it would make a lot more sense to me, but as you said it's a celebration...maybe it's a better idea to celebrate among friends & like-minded folks?

That is all the more reason to hold the parade in a less hostile environment, to celebrate amongst those who also wish to celebrate...it's kinda like holding a Death Metal concert next to a church on Sunday at 9 am, sure you have the right, but is it really the best place? Is it maybe a little bit inflammatory & unnecessary? What if Boston had their Cup parade in downtown Vancouver?

If this was a planned protest it would make a lot more sense to me, but as you said it's a celebration...maybe it's a better idea to celebrate among friends & like-minded folks?

I don't agree with you at all.

Being gay isn't anything more than being who one is and there are no limitations or boundaries on neighbourhoods that restrict gay people from entering. For whatever reson. If you are somehow expected to hide away for the sake of not upsetting others, it's their deal not yours. Get over it.

Maybe I feel strongly in that my gay cousin just married last week and it was a beautiful celebration of love and unity. So to deny anyone that because they view it as offensive or it going against beliefs? Tough luck. Oh well. And, while that may not be the most supportive of views, it's a parade...let's keep it in perspective...how about if people just go about their business and not worry what others are doing outside of that?

The Bruins are a Boston based team and, therefore, celebrations are with their fans. And death metal concerts next to churches? Sure, why not? Unless they infringe on bylaws and, at 9 am, may very well do so. Gay people are worldwide and so people had better get used to accepting that.

If there is hostility over a parade you don't cancel the parade...you work on getting the hostile individuals to become more accepting because that's the angle that needs work. Or, if they choose not to...they can deal with their hostility in the comfort of their homes. No apologies to be offered here.

I don't agree with you at all.

Being gay isn't anything more than being who one is and there are no limitations or boundaries on neighbourhoods that restrict gay people from entering. For whatever reson. If you are somehow expected to hide away for the sake of not upsetting others, it's their deal not yours. Get over it.

Maybe I feel strongly in that my gay cousin just married last week and it was a beautiful celebration of love and unity. So to deny anyone that because they view it as offensive or it going against beliefs? Tough luck. Oh well. And, while that may not be the most supportive of views, it's a parade...let's keep it in perspective...how about if people just go about their business and not worry what others are doing outside of that?

The Bruins are a Boston based team and, therefore, celebrations are with their fans. And death metal concerts next to churches? Sure, why not? Unless they infringe on bylaws and, at 9 am, may very well do so. Gay people are worldwide and so people had better get used to accepting that.

If there is hostility over a parade you don't cancel the parade...you work on getting the hostile individuals to become more accepting because that's the angle that needs work. Or, if they choose not to...they can deal with their hostility in the comfort of their homes. No apologies to be offered here.

In this case the left-wing Swedes are counter-protesting the gay pride march. Cuz, you know, gotta respect the bigoted feelings toward gays by Muslims.

Fortunately in Canada it is more about acculturation rather than assimilation. Of course, if you don't like it you can always move.

So can we not expect that to be applied here, in this situation then?

Why should gay people have to treat this neighbourhood in a certain way or any differently than others? Assimilate?

There's that old double standard that we see so much of...how about you practice what you're preaching then?

Because a large group of people happened to have settled there others have to somehow adjust to that? Should it not be about all groups coming together in a meeting in the middle in understanding and acceptance vs one group calling the shots or getting their way based solely on their beliefs and ideas? That some should refrain from their way of life in order to please another group? Or is this different because? Goose gander says all should be able to enjoy living side by side in harmony, without giving up any of their rights and freedoms. I feel so strongly about this, as the world strives to break through in shedding discrimination...that should include all people (gay people as part of that). I love how you've twisted it only to work in your defense...but apply the same thinking here (out of fairness and consistency).

Thanks for helping to make my argument.

So can we not expect that to be applied here, in this situation then?

Why should gay people have to treat this neighbourhood in a certain way or any differently than others? Assimilate?

There's that old double standard that we see so much of...how about you practice what you're preaching then?

Because a large group of people happened to have settled there others have to somehow adjust to that? Should it not be about all groups coming together in a meeting in the middle in understanding and acceptance vs one group calling the shots or getting their way based solely on their beliefs and ideas? That some should refrain from their way of life in order to please another group? Or is this different because? Goose gander says all should be able to enjoy living side by side in harmony, without giving up any of their rights and freedoms. I feel so strongly about this, as the world strives to break through in shedding discrimination...that should include all people (gay people as part of that). I love how you've twisted it only to work in your defense...but apply the same thinking here (out of fairness and consistency).

Thanks for helping to make my argument.

Or acculturatiion in this context refers to Muslims maintaining their religion while becoming more tolerant and accepting of others...

I was rejecting the notion of assimilation...

The argument about whether one's ideology should be left, right, or center leaning is stupid because all are right about some points and wrong about others.

How about instead of being guided by an inherently flawed ideology, instead just approach each problem with an open mind and use reason to come to the most appropriate solution?

The argument about whether one's ideology should be left, right, or center leaning is stupid because all are right about some points and wrong about others.

How about instead of being guided by an inherently flawed ideology, instead just approach each problem with an open mind and use reason to come to the most appropriate solution?

I need to be able to give unlimited plusses :)

:)

Whenever someone states "I'm left/right/center" with an ample amount of pride, my first interpretation is that this is a person who is content with being wrong in the face of overwhelming evidence.

I have always hated the predefined categories of what people should be. Or where they supposedly fit.

Why can't we just start with right and wrong.

Archived