The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gay pride march through Muslim areas of Stockholm draws ire of left-wing Swedes

Mr. Ambien

I have always hated the predefined categories of what people should be. Or where they supposedly fit.

Why can't we just start with right and wrong.

I think some people don't feel comfortable unless they can categorize themselves. It gives them a sense of belonging or of the mentality that other people agree with them. Its a much safer spot.

The argument about whether one's ideology should be left, right, or center leaning is stupid because all are right about some points and wrong about others.

How about instead of being guided by an inherently flawed ideology, instead just approach each problem with an open mind and use reason to come to the most appropriate solution?

Part of being centre is having a open mind to problems and using either ideological approach when a inherit problem arises..

Sure the system is flawed, but without it there would anarchy..

I have always hated the predefined categories of what people should be. Or where they supposedly fit.

Why can't we just start with right and wrong.

what seems right or wrong to may not be the as someone else..

Its really not that practical.. Because everyone has their own viewpoint or beliefs.

Part of being centre is having a open mind to problems and using either ideological approach when a inherit problem arises..

Sure the system is flawed, but without it there would anarchy..

My concern is that someone with a centrist perspective would be hesistant to agree with a far left/right wing perspective, even if this perspective were valid, simply because it would move them too far from their ideological position.

Essentially though, it seems we have the same philosophy, we just have applied different meanings to the term (which is fine).

If you are suggesting that there would be anarchy without the left/centre/right system, I would disagree. I think the system creates and 'us' versus 'them' menality that builds in a distrust of others and an immediate tendency to discount other people's opinion

http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.667637

You know you've gone beyond crazy when even Dawkins thinks you're off your rocker.

This is absolute garbage.

I like how the left thinks they have a monopoly on tolerance, and that they cry racism any time anyone from the right deviates from their pigeonholed opinions about them.

It's a crock of BS, the Swedish left is far more dangerous to this society, far more than they are aware of. They ignorantly do the bidding of the rich and they don't even realize it. How, I won't get into here since it's convoluted.

LOL Swedes, the left wing swedes are some of the dumbest people I know, pulling the race card any chance they get, at things that usually aren't in the least bit racist or negative towards any group.

If you want a look at what 1984 society is like, come to Sweden, lots of group-think.

Canadians, when Sweden and Europe eventually crumble under it's own stupidity again, don't bother coming over here and trying to save it. No more Canadians should die because this idiot continent can never learn from it's past.

While I don't like Nazism, this kind of leftwing BS that's all over Europe is even more dangerous. Watch to the end to see what I mean.

I like how the left thinks they have a monopoly on tolerance, and that they cry racism any time anyone from the right deviates from their pigeonholed opinions about them.

It's a crock of BS, the Swedish left is far more dangerous to this society, far more than they are aware of. They ignorantly do the bidding of the rich and they don't even realize it. How, I won't get into here since it's convoluted.

LOL Swedes, the left wing swedes are some of the dumbest people I know, pulling the race card any chance they get, at things that usually aren't in the least bit racist or negative towards any group.

If you want a look at what 1984 society is like, come to Sweden, lots of group-think.

Canadians, when Sweden and Europe eventually crumble under it's own stupidity again, don't bother coming over here and trying to save it. No more Canadians should die because this idiot continent can never learn from it's past.

Sounds like heaven for some of our "my/Muslim feelings trump your rights" CDC members.

Wait... so this is Sweden's far right planning a gay pride parade through Muslims neighbourhood for no reason than to piss off Muslims? Ok that's pathetic beyond believe. Good job on better people for speaking up against this stupidity.

And thank you OP for bring this up to point out the stupidity of the right in Sweden.

Good opportunity for the Muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they demand from everyone else.

While I don't like Nazism, this kind of leftwing BS that's all over Europe is even more dangerous. Watch to the end to see what I mean.

Of Sweden's population, what percentage do you feel fit this 'far left' group?

Wait.... so promoting LGBT ideas onto a Christian bakery..... it's ok? But forcing doing the same for Muslims.... not ok?

I personally don't think this should even be any issue. That area isn't a Muslim country, with Sharia law in place. It's Sweden, people are free to do whatever they want.

My interpretation of it is thats its not actually the lgbt community doing this, but the far right staging it to look that way in order to provoke a muslim response.

My interpretation of it is thats its not actually the lgbt community doing this, but the far right staging it to look that way in order to provoke a muslim response.

And even if so.....it's a good chance for Muslims to demonstrate tolerance and acceptance as they would expect of others. It's how it works.

Perhaps paving the way for LGBT's to feel free/safe to also do so? Have to set the stage somehow and they deserve that.

And even if so.....it's a good chance for Muslims to demonstrate tolerance and acceptance as they would expect of others. It's how it works.

Perhaps paving the way for LGBT's to feel free/safe to also do so? Have to set the stage somehow and they deserve that.

Agreed on the muslim aspect, but not paving the way. To blatantly use one group to bait another group to violence hardly seems like a constructive way to enlighten anyone. Quite the opposite, imo.

Agreed on the muslim aspect, but not paving the way. To blatantly use one group to bait another group to violence hardly seems like a constructive way to enlighten anyone. Quite the opposite, imo.

We all have choices in this world and anyone who is being "baited" has a role in that and can make decisions on if they take the bait...anger management is based on that premise. You don't tiptoe around someone who "may" get violent or feel provoked by others living their lives differently....you focus on getting them reeled in because we all have to coexist.

So no, enlightening people and having acceptance for gay people shouldn't be restricted or have boundaries because it could evoke a violent reaction from some. THOSE individuals have to somehow look beyond their own beliefs to respect that others don't necessarily share them. An agree to disagree type thing.

Why would there be violence? Isn't Islam the religion of peace?

We all have choices in this world and anyone who is being "baited" has a role in that and can make decisions on if they take the bait...anger management is based on that premise. So no, enlightening people and having acceptance for gay people shouldn't be restricted or have boundaries because it could evoke a violent reaction from some.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think this should go ahead and whatever reaction Muslims have is on the Muslims alone.

However, one shouldn't overlook the overt fact that this is a right wing group using gays as a prop to highlight to the average Swede how intolerant Muslims are. Are they highlighting a real issue? Yes. Are they doing it in a bilateral move with the gay community? No. Will this change any attitudes or build any unity? Not by a long shot. This is a divisive move any way you slice it, in my opinion.

Gays aren't the focal point of this event in any way, shape, or form. Had this been a legitimate LGBT organized parade going through Muslim areas, nobody would give a hoot.

As I said earlier in the thread, I think this should go ahead and whatever reaction Muslims have is on the Muslims alone.

However, one shouldn't overlook the overt fact that this is a right wing group using gays as a prop to highlight to the average Swede how intolerant Muslims are. Are they highlighting a real issue? Yes. Are they doing it in a bilateral move with the gay community? No. Will this change any attitudes or build any unity? Not by a long shot. This is a divisive move any way you slice it, in my opinion.

Gays aren't the focal point of this event in any way, shape, or form. Had this been a legitimate LGBT organized parade going through Muslim areas, nobody would give a hoot.

I believe you're missing my point....this is all irrelevant. If there IS a reaction to an event, it really doesn't matter who what why when how....if the point is to highlight intolerance and that is confirmed through the event, then it's served a purpose. Because we all have to be tolerant of others so it's never "wrong" to have a demonstration....or a "test" in that. Raising awareness is often the first step to bringing about change.

Sure, I do get a "don't poke the bear" thing but what gives one group the right to that buffer zone of intolerance? That you have to keep something at bay because of their beliefs (hint, we/you shouldn't). So even if it's all about making a point, it's a valid one?

I believe you're missing my point....this is all irrelevant. If there IS a reaction to an event, it really doesn't matter who what why when how....if the point is to highlight intolerance and that is confirmed through the event, then it's served a purpose. Because we all have to be tolerant of others so it's never "wrong" to have a demonstration....or a "test" in that. Raising awareness is often the first step to bringing about change.

Sure, I do get a "don't poke the bear" thing but what gives one group the right to that buffer zone of intolerance? That you have to keep something at bay because of their beliefs (hint, we/you shouldn't). So even if it's all about making a point, it's a valid one?

If you read in my post "don't poke the bear", you completely missed the point.

It's literally the first thing I said in my post. They don't get a buffer.

I disagree completely that one should only care about one aspect of this. Yes, it proves the point, but to what ends? One can highlight a real issue and use it to means that don't serve a benefit. One can highlight how intolerant Muslims are, or how tolerant second generation Muslims are (at least in Canada that tends to be the case) - you're still dealing with a real issue, but in a constructive way. Here, a nationalist group is increasing xenophobia among the public by pointing out how different and bad this group is. They're literally using one minority group against another.

There's a reason the The Swedish Federation for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Rights have distanced themselves from this. The organizer is tied to the anti-immigrant, nationalist, right wing Sweden Democrats. There is no good intention here. This is a ruse, and gays are a prop, nothing more.

The point of this "parade" is to increase anti-immigrant sentiment within Sweden, the group organizing this is looking for people in this area to get angry. You can bet that if even just one person confronts anyone in this parade it's going to be used to put all Muslims in a negative light. This has nothing to do with tolerance and everything to do with trying to make Muslims look bad.

Edit: If you just google "Sweden immigration problem" I'm sure you will see it has really nothing to do with LGBT and everything to do with an anti-immigrant stance.

The point of this "parade" is to increase anti-immigrant sentiment within Sweden, the group organizing this is looking for people in this area to get angry. You can bet that if even just one person confronts anyone in this parade it's going to be used to put all Muslims in a negative light. This has nothing to do with tolerance and everything to do with trying to make Muslims look bad.

Edit: If you just google "Sweden immigration problem" I'm sure you will see it has really nothing to do with LGBT and everything to do with an anti-immigrant stance.

Who cares? If it's a gay pride parade, who cares about whatever perceived underlying causes are there. Either celebrate gay pride or don't.

And they don't need to "perceive" Muslims in a bad light, Muslim bigotry toward gays has spoken for itself. There should be no problem whatsoever with a gay pride parade in a Muslim area, in fact, it shouldn't be news at all, if it weren't for Muslim stupidity toward homosexuals, which for some reason liberals enjoy catering to and babying.

This is key, right here.

And where the "choice" comes in. So the best thing for the Muslim community to do here is to not buy in....to ignore this event and let it fall away. No one is forcing anyone to do anything....they control that. So no one can really "make Muslims look bad" except the Muslims. Get it?

So if they show some restraint and self control in a move of acceptance and tolderance, the mission will be defeated, as it will prove nothing (but good things). It's an opportunity if viewed as such. If the Muslim community buys in with violence, then it seems there was a point to all of this (as they shouldn't).

Again - doesn't matter who/what/why/when/how. This "parade"will show whether or not there will be tolerance exercised toward gay people....if not, that's a problem that needed addressing.

I get it (why), but now the ball's in the community's court in how they react. Don't and you've beat them at their own game. Do - and that's your issue to answer to.

Archived