The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Diner owner yells at child for wailing for an hour, creates uproar on the internet

Mr. Ambien

a poll  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I hope everyone giving 'parenting 101' has a kid... I suspect you don't.

I've got three and unlike some people, I understand that a child is not always going to act the way you might hope.

Honestly, given the remarks that this owner made on FB (she actually seems proud of her foul mouth) I'm surprised that so many are taking her side in this.

The parents bear some of the blame, but the child bears none and the actions of the owner are inexcusable.

I've got three and unlike some people, I understand that a child is not always going to act the way you might hope.

Honestly, given the remarks that this owner made on FB (she actually seems proud of her foul mouth) I'm surprised that so many are taking her side in this.

The parents bear some of the blame, but the child bears none and the actions of the owner are inexcusable.

I am actually surprised so many people sided with her too. She went from 0 to 100 instantly. Plus it wasn't like the kid was 5 and could mentally understand society but was just being a spoiled c***. It was a 1 year old (almost 2) who couldn't even speak. Children of that age often communicate through crying. Going up to a 1 year old and yelling shut the hell up is pretty ignorant.

Most owners or workers in this scenario would likely go try to cheer up the kid with a treat or something and ask the parents politely if they knew why the kid wasn't letting up. A simple humane showing like that may not only calm the kid down but can gain you positive reviews and regular customers. Plus this is a diner not selling a car, 1 meal really doesn't have a huge effect on your budget. If it is a rare case where nothing can be done then ask one to step out with the kid apologetically.

It isn't like kids are a new thing in the world. Plenty of businesses know how to handle them.

TBH though the owner just seemed really trashy to me though.

"Oh i'm sorry, is my toddler's noise bothering you?"

-squeezes neck of toddler-

-chokes toddler to death-

-holds up corpse of toddler-

"Here."

(it is easier said than done to keep these little ones quiet)

I find that waving the gun around pretty much gets the same job done.

IN defense of the patrons and as a parent.

You don't EVER yell at another persons child, good way to get something broken due to an protective parent. And righhtfully so, don't screw with my blood.

That being said

In defense of the owner and the diner. 40 frigging minutes? Your child was full on melting down for 40 minutes and then once your food arrived you just, by all accounts; casually sat there ate your meal the entire time your child devolved into a screaming ball of anger that no amount of soothing could contain.

Your lucky it was the diner owner yelling at you and not some pissed off hungover drunk. Seriously, as a parent it is up to YOU to deal with that and if you cannot or refuse to than by all means give your kid up because you have no idea what parenting means. It's sacrifice and mroe. My kids have pulled that crap numerous times and I have marched a55 out of that restaurant It means going hungry and respecting everyone else in the process because that is what it takes to ensure someone doesn't scream in your toddlers face.

I pulled my oldest out of a dennys during a road trip last year let my wife and my brother and my youngest eat in peace while I sat outside in the car with her screaming her head off. She had been melting down yelling for about 10 minutes before I left. Wife came out with a Gift Card for the price of our meal for being so courteous from the shift manager because we dealt with it promptly instead of letting ehr screw over a full restaraunts worth of people.

Seriously...40 frigging minutes these people let their kid squeal without giving up up to AND including eating their meal while everyone else suffered...

screw that. Good on the diner owner

IN defense of the patrons and as a parent.

You don't EVER yell at another persons child, good way to get something broken due to an protective parent. And righhtfully so, don't screw with my blood.

That being said

In defense of the owner and the diner. 40 frigging minutes? Your child was full on melting down for 40 minutes and then once your food arrived you just, by all accounts; casually sat there ate your meal the entire time your child devolved into a screaming ball of anger that no amount of soothing could contain.

Your lucky it was the diner owner yelling at you and not some pissed off hungover drunk. Seriously, as a parent it is up to YOU to deal with that and if you cannot or refuse to than by all means give your kid up because you have no idea what parenting means. It's sacrifice and mroe. My kids have pulled that crap numerous times and I have marched a55 out of that restaurant It means going hungry and respecting everyone else in the process because that is what it takes to ensure someone doesn't scream in your toddlers face.

I pulled my oldest out of a dennys during a road trip last year let my wife and my brother and my youngest eat in peace while I sat outside in the car with her screaming her head off. She had been melting down yelling for about 10 minutes before I left. Wife came out with a Gift Card for the price of our meal for being so courteous from the shift manager because we dealt with it promptly instead of letting ehr screw over a full restaraunts worth of people.

Seriously...40 frigging minutes these people let their kid squeal without giving up up to AND including eating their meal while everyone else suffered...

screw that. Good on the diner owner

Exactly. Parents tend to forget their role as a parent, and either want to be their child's friend, or they pass along the job of dealing with their kids to everyone else. Someone mentioned bringing food and snacks. I can't believe I overlooked that (can only do so much with severe ADHD -- and hell, even when tired like now) but thankfully I have a wife who would have already prepped those things into her purse or a travel bag. Can't expect a 1 year old to just wait out 40 minutes to an hour sitting there and not get bored, hungry, or pass-out tired. Very ill preparedness and due diligence on the parents part.

Exactly. Parents tend to forget their role as a parent, and either want to be their child's friend, or they pass along the job of dealing with their kids to everyone else. Someone mentioned bringing food and snacks. I can't believe I overlooked that (can only do so much with severe ADHD -- and hell, even when tired like now) but thankfully I have a wife who would have already prepped those things into her purse or a travel bag. Can't expect a 1 year old to just wait out 40 minutes to an hour sitting there and not get bored, hungry, or pass-out tired. Very ill preparedness and due diligence on the parents part.

mother of God

Did we just agree on something

While the parents may not have done the best job here, at no time is this ok (to direct your wrath at someone's kid). Probably scared the hell out of her...not cool. Set an example and use a tone befitting of an adult in public, not a maniac. So she's yelling at the kid for throwing a tantrum...sounds like she threw one of her own? Practice what you preach and set an example.

Anger. Management.

I get the fact that a screaming child can be annoying, and that some parents can be inconsiderate when it comes to the people around them.

With that said, yelling at a child is about as low as you can get. If you have a problem with a kid's behavior, talk to the parent(s), and ask them to quiet down their child. What is the point of yelling at a child anyway? In a lot of cases it'll just make the kid scream more.

Finally, I have to question the owner's, well, judgement after watching her interview and reading her FB post. I can understand if she said she was under stress, and that she regretted her actions. Instead she appears unapologetic, and proud for yelling at the kid, and this was after the fact too. IMO the owner is a clown,and I hope she loses business over this.

I'm on my cell phone so didn't watch the clips, but I'm starting to be against all these public shamings for something someone says in the heat of the moment. This is a situation that can only be solved between the patron and the owner. Taking sides really adds nothing to this.

That being said, not a single person enjoys a screaming baby, they've even done tests on a babies scream, it uses the same agitation tones as a car alarm. I used to be one of those babies and I've even had my parents kicked out of restaurants so I've been told. They should have left before I got out of hand.

This is why us Brits only go to NYC and Florida Disney. Everywhere else is full of pokes and weirdos. If anyone shouted at my kid like that there would be utter carnage. 40mins for pancakes is pathetic and anyone siding with the owner here should be forced to wait 40mins next time they're in McDonalds or Burger King.

If my child was misbehaving like that, I'll bring the kid home and make sure he/she really have something to cry about!

But in all seriousness..... some parents just shouldn't be parents....

You realize that this child is under 2 years old, right?

Are you really advocating beating a toddler? You might expect some visits from Family Services, if so.

Archived