The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Buffalo Sabres Fire Team President Ted Black

No sense of humour whatsoever when it comes to the city itself (not even a little), but when picking on our sports teams, I go to town on them. If I didn't, I'd be huddled in a corner crying. :lol:

How about I call you, "sexy hunk of man meat" instead?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then you'll be the 97687th person to do so, welcome to the club! Always happy to have more members.

Since this is the " Around the NHL" forum. I am glad for SabreFan1 input on the goings on with other teams. Why have this section, if the only talk is about the canucks.

CDC has some people with very tender feelings. I've brought up teams other than the Canucks and/or Sabres before in this section and have gotten pretty much the same responses since 2012.

It was/is a good news story. It just happens to be about my favourite team.

oh... oh because he's Black! that's why right?!

No, he's purple with red polka dots!

Now that you mentioned it (sorta) though, I can't think of even one front office upper brass black guy with any of the 30 teams.

Yes and a fan base that isn't full of fair weather fans when the team does terrible....

Know any organization in Western Canada that once almost lost it's team in part because of attendance? I do.

If these fans you speak of exist, then why aren't you speaking with them about this Ted Black fellow?

Dark days of Sabres attendance and ownership turmoil weren't too long ago and you should probably recall if you're a fan of that team. The Sabres halved their attendance and almost lost their team in 2002-03. The NHL had to take them over like they did the Coyotes and the Buffalo Sabres troubles were a big part of the reason why Bettman was able to sell the salary cap.

Their fans managed to show up this past season for games, but with full intention of applauding losses. This isn't really something to be proud of, but I don't think you're going to agree.

CSE provides their fans with a premium sports entertainment experience, but this comes at a premium price.

Canucks tickets cost between $85 to $200 per seat. A beer costs $8-$10. Parking costs $30-$40. And your total family night out can cost upwards of $460 US, or almost $600 CDN. This is well above league average fan costs.

In Buffalo, prices are much kinder for the paying fans. So it's quite a bit easier for them to cheer on losses. $50 to $90 per seat. $3 beer. $13 parking. Total family night out can cost up to $290.

This according to fan cost index research done in 2014.

https://teammarketing.com/public/uploadedPDFs/nhl+fci+15.pdf

Until Buffalo fans can say that they pay top-5 NHL fan ticket prices to see a product that cannot deliver a winner, then they have no leg to stand on in terms of measuring fan loyalty compared to Vancouver Canucks fans, who are the best fans in the NHL.

CSE thanks them for their loyalty and will continue to find ways to provide them with top notch sports entertainment experiences for the upcoming years. This will likely not include providing an environment in which cheering on losses is both welcomed and acceptable.

Yes and a fan base that isn't full of fair weather fans when the team does terrible....

Know any organization in Western Canada that once almost lost it's team in part because of attendance? I do.

Every fan base is full of fairweather fans when the team does bad.

And I can't think of any team in Western Canada that was in serious jeopardy of moving. The Canucks had problems in the late 90s but that was more due to the Canadian dollar than "bad fans". Same goes for Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Quebec, the latter two succumbing to relocation due to their small populations.

That guys comment was about how terrible the Sabres were last season. Which they were. They openly tanked. It was a lighthearted joke. We say the same about Edmonton.

Don't throw shade on the fan base of the team whose forum you're posting in. People here rag on their fan base enough already.

Every fan base is full of fairweather fans when the team does bad.

Wrong. So very wrong. Over 90% season ticket renewal rate for the worst team in hockey for both of the previous 2 years.

Then there are the Leaf fans in Toronto. Those poor b*stards pay through the nose every year to see that team. There are probably one or two other teams I'm forgetting.

And I can't think of any team in Western Canada that was in serious jeopardy of moving. The Canucks had problems in the late 90s but that was more due to the Canadian dollar than "bad fans".

I just go by what is said on CDC on a semi-regular basis by more than a few posters. A particular Western Canada team was in serious danger at one point.

That guys comment was about how terrible the Sabres were last season. Which they were. They openly tanked. It was a lighthearted joke. We say the same about Edmonton.

I agreed with the tank but I've been making fun of the Sabres for the last 3 years. He was trying to be clever and I returned the favour with no particular malice.

Don't throw shade on the fan base of the team whose forum you're posting in. People here rag on their fan base enough already.

Not throwing a whole fan base under the bus, just one particular person who asked for it.

If these fans you speak of exist, then why aren't you speaking with them about this Ted Black fellow?

Dark days of Sabres attendance and ownership turmoil weren't too long ago and you should probably recall if you're a fan of that team. The Sabres halved their attendance and almost lost their team in 2002-03. The NHL had to take them over like they did the Coyotes and the Buffalo Sabres troubles were a big part of the reason why Bettman was able to sell the salary cap.

Their fans managed to show up this past season for games, but with full intention of applauding losses. This isn't really something to be proud of, but I don't think you're going to agree.

CSE provides their fans with a premium sports entertainment experience, but this comes at a premium price.

Canucks tickets cost between $85 to $200 per seat. A beer costs $8-$10. Parking costs $30-$40. And your total family night out can cost upwards of $460 US, or almost $600 CDN. This is well above league average fan costs.

In Buffalo, prices are much kinder for the paying fans. So it's quite a bit easier for them to cheer on losses. $50 to $90 per seat. $3 beer. $13 parking. Total family night out can cost up to $290.

This according to fan cost index research done in 2014.

https://teammarketing.com/public/uploadedPDFs/nhl+fci+15.pdf

Until Buffalo fans can say that they pay top-5 NHL fan ticket prices to see a product that cannot deliver a winner, then they have no leg to stand on in terms of measuring fan loyalty compared to Vancouver Canucks fans, who are the best fans in the NHL.

CSE thanks them for their loyalty and will continue to find ways to provide them with top notch sports entertainment experiences for the upcoming years. This will likely not include providing an environment in which cheering on losses is both welcomed and acceptable.

You need to do a little bit more reading. The attendance and near bankruptcy of the team was caused by the owners, the Rigas family. They were embezzling money from their publicly traded cable company. Everybody in Buffalo thought that the Sabres were going to be relocated so they stopped going to the games. Same thing that has happened in other cities in the NFL. That's why NFL teams pack up and move in the middle of the night during the off-season. If I hadn't moved out west several years before that, I never would have bought a ticket that season.

I've said a bazillion times that it saddens me about how unfair it is that the Canadian fans are forced to pay a premium to keep their teams while subsidizing poorly attended teams like in Phoenix. By the way, beers are more than $3. Buffalo and most US based teams ticket prices are certainly family friendly.

I have never thought that Vancouver fans were terrible. You don't pay prices like that if you aren't a fan. On the other hand, I don't think they are the best. It bugs me to ay it, but that distinction probably goes to both Toronto and Montreal fans.

*edit* Here are the attendance figures for the last 13-14 years. http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Not a good decision to have the same president for 2 separate sports teams. The Sabers just don't have the management or strategy to ever be an elite team. Even tanking for draft picks does not work for them because of their lack of hockey knowledge and proper scouting.

Not a good decision to have the same president for 2 separate sports teams. The Sabers just don't have the management or strategy to ever be an elite team. Even tanking for draft picks does not work for them because of their lack of hockey knowledge and proper scouting.

1. As was said earlier in the thread, the new president will be business side only. He'll have nothing to do with the hockey side.

2. Murray helped put the roster of the Anaheim Ducks team together that won the Stanley Cup so there goes your grand proclamation of not having the management that's needed.

3. Since you didn't even know the above fact, you have no idea about the Sabres' management to make your "elite team" statement.

4. Murray has only been the GM for a season and a half and he's still purging Regier's mistakes from the organization. Fortunately he's nearly done with that.

5. Nearly the whole scouting department was turned over in the last 12 months since the previous scouts obviously weren't getting the job done.

6. The tank just ended so you have no idea whether it will work.

7. You have no idea who in the organization has what kind of hockey knowledge and since you had no idea that the scouting department was expanded and turned over, you have no idea whether the Sabres have proper scouts or not. Without using Google, you couldn't even name one scout. Same thing with me and the Canucks, and the Canucks are my second favourite team.

8. You can't even spell the team's name correctly. It wasn't a typo; plenty of people who pretend that they know about the team spell it that way. Including occasional pretenders right here in Buffalo.

9. It's ignorant posters like you that sometimes makes CDC look no better than the self proclaimed experts on HFboards.

A lot of big talk there. I have saved your last post. I will repost it after your team tanks AGAIN. Sorry but your Sabers may have jerseys that have the NHL logo on them but every time that team hits the ice this season, it will be men against boys. Having a president just for the business side does not work. Furthermore calling people ignorant that post opinions on a forum is childish. Enjoy another tanking season.

A lot of big talk there. I have saved your last post. I will repost it after your team tanks AGAIN. Sorry but your Sabers may have jerseys that have the NHL logo on them but every time that team hits the ice this season, it will be men against boys. Having a president just for the business side does not work. Furthermore calling people ignorant that post opinions on a forum is childish. Enjoy another tanking season.

1. Tanking means losing on purpose, not just sucking.

2. I have already said several times that they will be a bottom 5 team this year. They won't be the worst team with the fewest points, but bottom 5 none the less.

3. You still need to learn how to spell the team's name if you want to look credible talking about them.

Wrong. So very wrong. Over 90% season ticket renewal rate for the worst team in hockey for both of the previous 2 years.

Then there are the Leaf fans in Toronto. Those poor b*stards pay through the nose every year to see that team. There are probably one or two other teams I'm forgetting.

I just go by what is said on CDC on a semi-regular basis by more than a few posters. A particular Western Canada team was in serious danger at one point.

I agreed with the tank but I've been making fun of the Sabres for the last 3 years. He was trying to be clever and I returned the favour with no particular malice.

Not throwing a whole fan base under the bus, just one particular person who asked for it.

Every fanbase is full of fairweather fans when the team does bad. Some fanbases have more cemented markets and a stronger pull for sure, but to say thats not the case you'd have to be blind and deaf.

A particular Western team was never in "serious danger" at any point. You're taking the posts from a message board filled with people who like to point out that everyone else but them is an awful fan when they're disagreed with as gospel.

1. Tanking means losing on purpose, not just sucking.

2. I have already said several times that they will be a bottom 5 team this year. They won't be the worst team with the fewest points, but bottom 5 none the less.

3. You still need to learn how to spell the team's name if you want to look credible talking about them.

We can't help auto correct but being a bully on this board will not get you any feedback in the future.

We can't help auto correct but being a bully on this board will not get you any feedback in the future.

I'm a bully? That's a new one. I can honestly say that I've never been called that on any message board before.

Here's my quote for your sig, or to copy down on your computer..........

In 2015-16 the Sabres will be bottom 5. In 2016-17 the Sabres ill be middle of the pack. In 2017-18 the Sabres will be in the playoffs.

There ya go. I made it all for you. No bullying or anything.

*edit* Misspelling the name once is auto-correct. Missing it after being told, is just not knowing much about the organization. Don't worry, plenty of hockey "experts" here and elsewhere on the internet don't know the Sabres well enough to spell their name correctly either.

Archived