The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Ehrhoff would take 1-year deal, CBJ kicking tires.

Reports indicate that the Blue Jackets have a low offer in for Ehrhoff. I’ve heard the offer is a one-year deal worth somewhere around $2 million. Ehrhoff needs to take this deal, knowing that he is playing for the contract after this one.

As his agent Rick Curran told me in a phone conversation last week, this free agency period has been the most stagnant he has ever seen. Teams simply don’t have the money to freely spend on players.

THW

1 year x 2.5M. Easy cap to move at deadline.

Imagine the outrage in CT if we did that. "WTF BENNING YOU SAY YOUTH MOVEMENT AND THEN SIGN VETS!!!!" :lol:

Frankly, the Canucks could use another year of maturing for the upcoming young D, without having to depend on any of them yet.

Could be done if Benning wants it to be done.

So while Franson is the best player still out there, the one with the highest potential impact is Mr. Christian Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff has a bit of a stink on him these days as a result of failing to meet what we now know were unrealistic expectations. He parlayed back-to-back 14-goal seasons and a Stanley Cup final run with the Vancouver Canucks into the infamous 10-year, $40-million deal with the Buffalo Sabres, who bought him out after three mostly miserable years. The offensive explosion never happened last season in Pittsburgh after two concussions limited Ehrhoff to 49 games. But if you strip the expectations away and believe the claim from his camp he’s now healthy, you get a top-four defenseman who can move the puck and play at least 20 minutes a night. Better yet, he’s likely available on another one-year pact and should cost about 40 percent less than Franson.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have reportedly made a low-ball offer to Ehrhoff “way below the $4 million he made with the Penguins,” according to uber-reliable beat writer and THN correspondent Aaron Portzline.

The Boston Bruins, whom GM Don Sweeney insists are not rebuilding, have $4.76 million in cap space and could fit Ehrhoff much more comfortably under the cap than they could Franson. The New York Islanders should still have enough room if restricted free agent Brock Nelson signs a bridge deal and not a fat long-term pact. Ehrhoff could slide into the departing Lubomir Visnovksy’s spot if the Isles decide youngsters Ryan Pulock and Scott Mayfield need more seasoning. The Los Angeles Kings don’t count the suspended Slava Voynov on the cap right now, and there’s no guarantee he plays for them again.
Ehrhoff’s cap hit also stands to be inconsequential enough that one of the playoff-bound teams with little to no cap space – say, Washington or St. Louis – could free up room for him with a single trade. As an example, maybe Washington ships Brooks Laich’s $4.5-million price tag to a salary-floor team along with a low draft pick as compensation. Bada bing, bada boom, enough money to ink Ehrhoff as a helluva No. 5 D-man to replace Mike Green.

- Matt Larkin

Ehrhoff needs to give his head a shake if he thinks that significantly less than the 4 million he was overpaid last year is a 'lowball'.

He scored 3 goals and 11 assists in 49 games in free range Pittsburgh last season - and if he's not scoring.....

Have a look at the reality of the free agent market this summer - and then look at what Ehrhoff has brought recently.

I agree with the CBJ if in fact they offered him a 'lowball' - that is his market value.

Ehrhoff needs to give his head a shake if he thinks that significantly less than the 4 million he was overpaid last year is a 'lowball'.

He scored 3 goals and 11 assists in 49 games in free range Pittsburgh last season - and if he's not scoring.....

Have a look at the reality of the free agent market this summer - and then look at what Ehrhoff has brought recently.

I agree with the CBJ if in fact they offered him a 'lowball' - that is his market value.

If he wants one more decent contract, he should sign in Vancouver and inflate his numbers with the Sedins on the PP until deadline.

Win-win for both sides.

The Hoff reminds me of Brett Favre a few yrs ago, smelly old fart who still thinks he is worth top cheese.

Favre actually had brain damage by that time. Ehrhoff's brain is just fine.

I think in the right situation Ehrhoff can squeeze out another 2 pretty good years, not great, but good.

He never should have left Vancouver.

Favre actually had brain damage by that time. Ehrhoff's brain is just fine.

I think in the right situation Ehrhoff can squeeze out another 2 pretty good years, not great, but good.

He never should have left Vancouver.

He wanted to hit a home run with MONEY, glad Mike didn't bite and pay him, what was it? 10M.

If he wants one more decent contract, he should sign in Vancouver and inflate his numbers with the Sedins on the PP until deadline.

Win-win for both sides.

He owes the Sedins a boatload of cash for his last few winfalls, that's for sure.

I'd have thought Crosby, Malkin et al would have inflated his numbers though.

I'd take a pass at this point - if he got realistic about his value and was willing to sign in the depth D price range I might think about it, but I'm not sure the present Ehrhoff's overall game is better than our young D (actually I'd take Corrado over him in a heartbeat) and I'd prefer develop them as opposed to feed the minutes to Baywatch. Corrado in particular - would hate to see him idling around due to Ehrhoff.

Ehrhoff is also another left handed guy who'd presumably be playing on the right side - which makes sense on the powerplay but otherwise he's just not worth bothering with imo.

He may makes sense in Columbus where Mike Reilly walked and they need a bridge to Werenski.

Not needed. Not worth a contract spot, or cap room taken. We have Weber for the exact same role at a cheap contract. Weber fits way better on this team and has better numbers. Hoff is left handed, we have already four left handed d-men who will be on the roster in October I assume (Edler, Hammer, Sbisa and Bart). Weber is right handed, which we want and that right handed d-man on the PP tend to do better. Weber had 11 goals last season with a 9.4 % shooting, which is pretty damn good. Hoff, however, had 6 and 3 goals respectably over the past two seasons (dealing with injuries), and only shot the puck 3.7 and 2.7% respectivaly during his past two seasons. Not worth it. If we want another d-man bring in Franson for a top four role, but even that I don't see happening.

Archived