The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to Vancity Brandon Sutter

SergioMomesso

Dat regular season success tho... It'll go along nicely with Sbisa's meat n taters, Prust's bodyguard abilities, and Sutter's foundational skills.

Rather have regular season success than no success at all.

We've all seen what failing to compete year after year gets you.

Rather have young players with a hunger to win personally.

Rather have regular season success than no success at all.

We've all seen what failing to compete year after year gets you.

Rather have young players with a hunger to win personally.

Which is what in essence this whole debate is all about. The culture is changing here, and it doesn't really matter to me this next season where we end up. What matters is the change, which was well overdue.

Trading Clendenning wasn't necessary.. practically another throw in.

I don't really get the trade. Bonino left you wanting to pull your hair out some nights, but Sutter is going to be that much of an improvement given the cap hit and other assets we gave up? Another trade that has me scratching my head..

But did we really gave up a lot?? Brandon Sutter was traded for Jordan Staal straight-up no more than 2 years ago. We gave up an iffy-2nd C who can't play no.3. A defenseman we traded for with bits and pieces, and someone who most likely won't see a lot of ice-time playing behind Corrado as No.8 D. Swapping of the picks, a late 2nd for a high 3rd most likely won't make any difference, since by that time teams draft based on their in-house scouting, and a guy they target at late 2nd will very likely be available around early 3rd round.

We know Sutter is a very good 3rd C, who has the upside to play 2nd C. A year younger than Bonino, with much more experience, and somewhat of an iron-man. He's big and faster than Bonino. Not to mention he was an 11th overall pick.

I don't think we gave up too much "asset" for him. As for Cap space, it's not a problem until his next contract (most likely won't be a crazy raise) kicks in, by which time we will have Vrbata, Hamhuis, Prust, Weber and Bartkowski UFA.

Benning initiated this deal, to get his guy. Rutherford doesn't need Bonino, Clendening or even the slight draft improvement. That's why we have to overpay to get the deal done.

But I think a lot of people are always focused on "winning" a deal, hence calculating which side got more in terms of quantity. This player equals that, and this pick minus that. Sometimes you have to "lose" a deal to get the player you want. GMs do this for a living, I'd think they know more about deals than us. If every GM has to win every deal, none would happen.

Interesting read on Sutter by Penguins fan.

Brandon Sutter To Breakout Next Season

by Johnny Feulner 53w ago

Jordan Staal was essential to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Proving to be immensely valuable on penalty kills and matching up sizably with his 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame, Staal instilled that balance on the Pens’ third-line, which has been lacking ever since he was dealt.

Rejecting the team’s 10-year offer, Staal is now in Carolina, and Brandon Sutter replaced him in Pittsburgh. And since, Sutter hasn’t been nearly as productive as Staal was, but that could soon alter.

Recording just 19 points in 2013 and 26 points this past season, they each were Sutter’s lowest totals in his short NHL career – excluding his 50-game, five-point rookie campaign. However, because Sutter displayed exceptional hockey during these past playoffs, the 2014-15 season may be his for the taking.

Registering seven points (5G, 2A) in 13 postseason tilts, Sutter ranked third on the team in goals and finished just two points shy of Sidney Crosby‘s scoring total. With that quality effort, Sutter seemed as though he’d finally gotten comfortable, and found a way to manufacture much needed scoring chances.

Back in March, Sutter was a pawn in ex-general manager Ray Shero’s palm, as he was dangled in a trade that would’ve landed Ryan Kesler, but because the deal never came to fruition, Sutter probably came to the realization his job wasn’t safe. Since those rumors circulated, it was almost as if some switch just flipped inside Sutter, and from that point on he simply became effective.

Of course, Sutter could’ve easily just corrected a few issues and bettered his game in general, but the quick transition in play from his potential trade bait status is hard to ignore as just a coincidence. Now that Sutter is a little older, more knowledgable of the system, and honing his confidence, I can guarantee you that we’ll see his game come full circle next season, just like Matt Niskanen‘s did.

That, and because Sutter’s a restricted free agent this summer, he’s going to want a long-term extension, and you can bet he’ll follow in Niskanen’s footsteps. Maybe Sutter won’t generate as much as Niskanen did, but he’ll post some solid numbers – better than last season’s total. And for Pittsburgh, Sutter’s prompt transformation into a formidable scorer on the third-line is imperative for their chances.

It became apparent last season that the lack of secondary scoring affected the team because they were too top-heavy. That goes back to their balance issues. Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were relied on too much, and it showed, when they each looked visibly exhausted at the end of the season. Of course, the Olympics had a big part in that, but the deficiency within the bottom-six forwards was utterly burdensome.

Selected in the first-round (11th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Sutter’s always had the potential to be a highly effective player; problem is, being dealt early in his career may have delayed his blossoming.

Expect Sutter to blossom next season.

Interesting read on Sutter by Penguins fan.

Brandon Sutter To Breakout Next Season

by Johnny Feulner 53w ago

Jordan Staal was essential to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Proving to be immensely valuable on penalty kills and matching up sizably with his 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame, Staal instilled that balance on the Pens third-line, which has been lacking ever since he was dealt.

Rejecting the teams 10-year offer, Staal is now in Carolina, and Brandon Sutter replaced him in Pittsburgh. And since, Sutter hasnt been nearly as productive as Staal was, but that could soon alter.

Recording just 19 points in 2013 and 26 points this past season, they each were Sutters lowest totals in his short NHL career excluding his 50-game, five-point rookie campaign. However, because Sutter displayed exceptional hockey during these past playoffs, the 2014-15 season may be his for the taking.

Registering seven points (5G, 2A) in 13 postseason tilts, Sutter ranked third on the team in goals and finished just two points shy of Sidney Crosbys scoring total. With that quality effort, Sutter seemed as though hed finally gotten comfortable, and found a way to manufacture much needed scoring chances.

Back in March, Sutter was a pawn in ex-general manager Ray Sheros palm, as he was dangled in a trade that wouldve landed Ryan Kesler, but because the deal never came to fruition, Sutter probably came to the realization his job wasnt safe. Since those rumors circulated, it was almost as if some switch just flipped inside Sutter, and from that point on he simply became effective.

Of course, Sutter couldve easily just corrected a few issues and bettered his game in general, but the quick transition in play from his potential trade bait status is hard to ignore as just a coincidence. Now that Sutter is a little older, more knowledgable of the system, and honing his confidence, I can guarantee you that well see his game come full circle next season, just like Matt Niskanens did.

That, and because Sutters a restricted free agent this summer, hes going to want a long-term extension, and you can bet hell follow in Niskanens footsteps. Maybe Sutter wont generate as much as Niskanen did, but hell post some solid numbers better than last seasons total. And for Pittsburgh, Sutters prompt transformation into a formidable scorer on the third-line is imperative for their chances.

It became apparent last season that the lack of secondary scoring affected the team because they were too top-heavy. That goes back to their balance issues. Crosby and Evgeni Malkin were relied on too much, and it showed, when they each looked visibly exhausted at the end of the season. Of course, the Olympics had a big part in that, but the deficiency within the bottom-six forwards was utterly burdensome.

Selected in the first-round (11th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Sutters always had the potential to be a highly effective player; problem is, being dealt early in his career may have delayed his blossoming.

Expect Sutter to blossom next season.

Posted a year ago.

so right before the season where he scored more goals than Kesler, Bonino and Daniel Sedin?

I wouldn't say 33 points is "breaking out", but now that he's a Canuck, nothing would make me happier than seeing a 30 G 25 A season from him. I'm not sure it's gonna happen though.

I wouldn't say 33 points is "breaking out", but now that he's a Canuck, nothing would make me happier than seeing a 30 G 25 A season from him. I'm not sure it's gonna happen though.

30 goals this year would have put him ahead of Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Malkin, Carter, Kane, Iginla, Gaborik, Johansen, Kessel, Datsyuk, Giroux, Landeskog and all the Staals

Penguins refused to pull the trigger on this trade if Clendening wasn't involved. Corrado will slot in just fine.

If they were so eager to dump Sutter and his cap hit, they would have taken Bonino straight up.

Contrary to what some Pens fans are saying, the Pens did value Sutter and didn't want to trade him so hastily.

Sometimes it takes an overpayment to get a player that you want. If a team was willing to trade a player for nothing, I would question why.

Players in the West with 30+ goals:

Benn

Seguin

Hudler

Vrbata

Monahan

Perry

Yeaaaaaah...time to get a clue

30 goals this year would have put him ahead of Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Malkin, Carter, Kane, Iginla, Gaborik, Johansen, Kessel, Datsyuk, Giroux, Landeskog and all the Staals

you know what i mean. :emot-parrot: simply put, he did not break out last year, and chances are he isn't going to break out this year. which I'm fine with. I'm just saying that posting that article today is fairly using.

Which is what in essence this whole debate is all about. The culture is changing here, and it doesn't really matter to me this next season where we end up. What matters is the change, which was well overdue.

I think the changing culture is about how the game is played. JB is weeding out the underachieving, slow, lazy and weak players for guys that go out and play their best every game. They will play hard and win games they have no business winning. These are the type of players you want the youngin's rubbing shoulders with. It's all about attitude and character. The talented kids will develop these traits and combined with their better skills, will reach their projected levels (and some even higher).

They're a long way from being a contending team, but they will be fun to watch and never leave us feeling the way we did after Calgary rolled over them.

Archived