The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Sutter worth?

Stelar

Couturier is pretty comparable to Sutter, though Sean has slightly better numbers and is younger.

Vermette makes 3.75.

Stajan makes 3.125

Ribeiro makes 3.5

Hanzal makes 3.1

I'd put Sutter around those guys. 3.25-3.5 seems right for Sutter. He's at the tip of his peak, so it's not going to change much going forward. 3 to 4 years until McCann, Cassels etc... are ready.

Anymore would be dumb, like giving Umberger 4.6.

No idea what Benning will pay, but a 3-4 year term for $3.75-4.0 seems pretty reasonable. Kind of hefty price tag for a 3C but he can also move up if needed.

That also kind of leads into when you would think Cassels would be ready to take over that spot. Assuming a couple more years before he hits the NHL regularly, and then a couple years on the 4th line and moving up during injury fill ins.

Unless you can put up over 53% consistently faceoffs really don't matters as much as people think.

You are completely out of it, if you aren't winning at least 50% of your face offs, that means half the time after a whistle, the opponent has possession... Offensively, and defensively... That is huge.

I must be missing something. Does Sutter have something over Bonino? It seems that Bonino gets more points than Sutter. The only thing I can see is his size. Beyond that, I don't see how he's worth more. Can anyone enlighten me?

Well Sutter was playing behind Malkin and Crosby

Bonino defaulted into the second line here. Reverse the two and I am guessing the stats change.

These are reasonable comments. Bonino had more favorable placements (2C in Van, 1st unit PP in Anaheim) so it is arguable that his stats overstate his true value relative to Sutter. All things considered I would concede that Sutter is probably slightly better than Bonino. But Bonino was only getting 1.9 million and the Canucks gave up a lot to get that slight improvement -- and for a guy with only one year left on his contract, after which the Canucks will have to pay the UFA rate (which they are about to do in an extension.).

Based on his production, Sutter's current cap hit of $3.3 million would be decent value for a UFA. I would be happy with $3.5 million a year for 3 years. But I expect Benning to overpay. After all, I have to admit that Sutter is worth more than Sbisa. My prediction is $4 million a year for 3 more years. But I have a sneaking fear the number will be even higher.

What I do not like about this trade is that it probably does make the team better for 2015-16 -- not good enough to make the playoffs but good enough to be close, preventing the team from trading assets for picks at the deadline and giving the Canucks a mid-level pick instead of a high first round pick in the 2016 draft. Also, the Canucks gave up a long second round pick next year for what is probably going to be a high third round pick and they gave up a good prospect (Clendening). And they are going to burn up future cap room on the extension.

So I think the Canucks gave up a lot in the future for a small current improvement.

Baffles me why he makes 3.3 right now.

I'm with you on this. He's a bit overpaid atm(on a RFA contract), so I am definitely not looking forward to seeing this extension. It's going to be absolutely awful :sick:

Archived