The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's Sutter worth?

Stelar

I once did an analysis on the impact of faceoff percentage. A centre who is 65% in the faceoffs will make a difference over someone who is 38%. However, the difference between 52% and 48% is so minor, I think it was only a difference of 2 or 3 goals.

Faceoffs are an odd stat.

Most years, win the faceoff, start with the puck, control the game - that's how the Red Wings, Bruins and Kings all played when they won.

Last year...Rangers were No. 28 on faceoffs, The Canes were No. 3 - go figure.

I think it all depends on the type of team you have. If you have the speed to chase the puck, faceoffs aren't as important. If you're a big team, who want to get the puck, control it and not skate as much...you better win faceoffs.

Faceoffs are an odd stat.

Most years, win the faceoff, start with the puck, control the game - that's how the Red Wings, Bruins and Kings all played when they won.

Last year...Rangers were No. 28 on faceoffs, The Canes were No. 3 - go figure.

I think it all depends on the type of team you have. If you have the speed to chase the puck, faceoffs aren't as important. If you're a big team, who want to get the puck, control it and not skate as much...you better win faceoffs.

Nice analysis... I think you're right... sometimes it's very important with faceoffs, and other times it's just doesn't matter at all.

Since we're not the fastest team in the league, we got hurt pretty badly last season with faceoffs.

Oh, I see, so the idea is he got his numbers on the third line, which is why they're so impressive?

points aren't everything. Overall defencesively sutter has the edge, hes quicker and better on the draw to top it off.

He can potentially make 4,5-5 over 3-5 years. Prepare yourself.

My guess -- 5 years at $5.0M AAV. Not that he deserves it, but I think that's what he's going to get from Benning.

Benning will justify the signing with his..."ummm, you know, he's a foundational player and he's young. We just bought ourselves a second line centerman for the next six years while we wait for McCann and Horvat to take over when Sutter is 32. Ummmm, you know, we're going to have Bo moving up soon and Henrik Sedin can't play forever. That's the succession plan that I have. Sutter's a guy we've been targeting for over a year, so he's worth the money we will pay him."

Either sign him to a shorter contract paid as a good 3C with a chance to prove himself or sign him longer term as a lower end 2C and hope he delivers right off the bat. 3 or 5 years

Ideally something in the neighbourhood of 4 years @$3.75 million would be nice but that ain't happening. Like McGuire said, you probably shouldn't use words like 'foundational player' in public because the agent will beat you over the head with it in contract negotiations. It does show confidence in and commitment to the player though, which counts.

He should get close to what Couturier got

It's funny reading how clueless people are about Sutter.

We always whine and complain that the eastern media has no idea about our players but it has become apparent we don't know much about Eastern players.

Sutter will be our 2C and will take on the other teams best forwards and will allow Bo to transition from 4C into 3C/2C role.

Sutter is also a better fit w. The Canucks as we sorely lack a right side face off centre.

Who would you rather going against , Getzlaf, Kopitar and Mcdavid in our division ...Sutter or Bonino. ?

I expect 15-25 goals from him each year while being an elite PK player.

Value of this player is 4.75 mil per year.

We definitely improved w. This trade.

Archived