The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Harper Government Approves Abortion Pill

nucklehead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/ru-486-abortion-pill-approved-by-health-canada-1.3173515

A quarter century after women in France were first given access to it, the abortion drug known as RU-486 is finally going to be available in Canada.

Health Canada confirmed late Wednesday that it had approved the drug for use here, 2½ years after the manufacturer's application was submitted. Women will need to obtain a prescription from a doctor to purchase the drug.

The application has been before Health Canada since December 2012, so it is long overdue that they approve this very safe and effective method of early abortion care that millions of women around the world have been able to access since 1988," said Vicki Saporta, president and CEO of the National Abortion Federation and its Canadian offshoot, NAF Canada.

"No one can claim that they fast-tracked the approval process and didn't very thoroughly and completely review the application."

NAF Canada represents the health-care professionals who provide most of the abortion care in this country. The group spearheaded efforts to bring the drug to Canada...Federal Health Minister Rona Ambrose had little to say Wednesday night about her department's decision.

Good that the option is there.

Now if only some karma would happen where women taking it would, henceforth, be rendered sterile.

I'll be honest. Not a supporter of abortion as birth control but I can understand a persons decision in certain situations.

You would be surprised how many women have had abortions, and not just one.. but numerous. Not counting miscarriages.

In the Bay Area, it wasn't uncommon to hear from women who would shamelessly divulge that they had 5-20 abortions.

I guess I was lucky that the Christian ex of mine had 2 or 3 abortions which I didn't know about until she aborted our potential child because we were engaged and not married. Lucky because if the ???? had went through with having the child, it would have hindered me moving back to Canada.

Hence why it's a good thing, especially if you don't like abortions, to understand the position of the person you're with. If you don't like abortions and the person you're with is okay with having one, drop her like a bad habit.

Basically. I'm as pro-choice as pro-choice gets, but I find abortion reprehensible. I'm glad to have my kids and glad to have a wife with the moral fortitude not to kill the human life inside her.

I remember going through all the ultrasounds with our daughter. We had the typical diagnostic done, another one done because she had an irregular heartbeat (so needed a more intensive one aimed at her midsection just to rule out any actual problems -- she turned out fine with no issues), and had a 3D ultrasound done. I could have watched that little bugger moving around all day. Watching that little person sprout is an amazing experience.

Repeat after me

Not your body not your choice. No uterus no say.

If you're partnered with someone who wants to make that choice so be it, but at days end you don't have a say, like at all.

That being said. It will be funny knowing Harper has pissed off Albertastan so badly, pissed off Newfoundland screwed up by redrawing electoral borders in Saskatchewan and now their furthest right christian god fearing do as I say not as I do antu everything types will be overjoyed at this news (sarcasm)

Election cannot come soon enough

Basically, I'm as equal-rights as equal-rights get but I find homosexuality reprehensible.

That is offensive

I hope you take offense that I am offended by the offensive nature of your offense.

(Am I righting properly?)

So much offense. :lol:

Just trying to make sure I am PC'ing correctly. Apparently I am supposed to be outraged and offended at basically everything for no reason while checking my partially white privilege somewhere.

At least that's how I understand it

In my opinion there are very few if any good reasons to have an abortion, now there's a pill to fast-track that reprehensible process. Great. Here's an idea, dont want a baby, give it up for adoption, there are plenty of people who can only dream of being parents but for whatever reason are unable.

sorry but even being a domestic subject I might say something about it.

my mom always say "the best option to avoid kids you don´t want is use a damm condom! if you f#$%& without a condom you know the possible result"

So my opinion is pretty much the same. for me abortion just because the woman doesn´t want the kid is murder. plain simple. it´s the woman body but it´s a separate life and that life didn´t ask to be generated...

so it will become a sport? why use a condom if you can just abort the fetus?

even in rape cases that´s tought but that´s another case. cut the asshole d$&$, torture and them kill the bastard

don´t want kids? use a condom.

my mom always say "the best option to avoid kids you don´t want is use a damm condom! if you f#$%& without a condom you know the possible result"

So my opinion is pretty much the same. for me abortion just because the woman doesn´t want the kid is murder. plain simple. it´s the woman body but it´s a separate life and that life didn´t ask to be generated...

even in rape cases that´s tought but that´s another case. cut the asshole d$&$, torture and them kill the bastard

lol

Classic right wing crazy here.

Murder is bad! Abortion is murder!

Mutilate, torture and murder the rapist!

Condoms break sometimes. Have holes in them. What then? So if a woman accidentally gets pregnant because of a faulty condom or one that breaks, she's a murderer simply because she doesn't want to be a mother yet? Or is it her responsibility to always use back up protection.... you know, just in case? News flash.... why is it her sole responsibility for getting pregnant in that situation and why do you label her a 'murderer' for taking care of the situation? Her body, her choice. NOT her fault that the protection YOU chose to use was faulty.

Now I know English is not your first language and perhaps I've not taken the correct meaning from what you've written. But just in case i have, the above comment by me stands as written.

Condoms break sometimes. Have holes in them. What then? So if a woman accidentally gets pregnant because of a faulty condom or one that breaks, she's a murderer simply because she doesn't want to be a mother yet? Or is it her responsibility to always use back up protection.... you know, just in case? News flash.... why is it her sole responsibility for getting pregnant in that situation and why do you label her a 'murderer' for taking care of the situation? Her body, her choice. NOT her fault that the protection YOU chose to use was faulty.

Now I know English is not your first language and perhaps I've not taken the correct meaning from what you've written. But just in case i have, the above comment by me stands as written.

maybe, just maybe people should care a little bit more before have this wild ride of making sex like people drink water...

Sex just like anything organic isn´t stable so just like anything accidents might happen. but you might be ready for the consequences. the woman got pregnat during sex (with you)? well. time to accept the fact.

just like "Emergency procedures" on airplanes the same must be done while doing sex. the condom broke? the woman got pregnat? was you? well daddy. time to accept the risk...

as the bold part my objective is clear. if you don´t want kids use a condom or do a vasectomy....

Choice is choice, and there is no authority spiritually, legally or morally that has the right to dictate that choice for another person, plain and simple, ESPECIALLY when it comes to body altering and life changing decisions.

Pro lifer's like to pull at the heart strings and say "what if?". What if that little being grows up to cure cancer. What if that little being grows up to be the next Stalin, or Hussein, or Kadafi? (Didn't go where you thought I would did I?).

So those are the two extremes on the spectrum. I'd hang my hat on the bet that that little being grows up to be an average, if not unspectacular person, just as flawed as everyone else, who may or may not do good but has just as equal of a chance to perpetuate the cycle and reinforce the stereotype.

Regardless of what may or may not happen in the future, the fact of the matter is the woman's body is hers and only she, and she alone can make the decision as to what to do. Abortion? Sure if that's what she wants. Maybe she goes through with the pregnancy and plans to adopt; suppose she develops a complication and is severely impacted or should the worse happen, she dies? Is that deserved?

Pregnancy is an incredibly chemically imbalancing and body altering event, and even women who have been pregnant before are never assured that the next pregnancy will go as expected.

We have enough problems in the world right now with neglected children, inability to ensure every child has the same opportunity as the next; we live in quite possibly the most unjust society this world has ever seen, and you want to make it more unjust?

What we need to do is lift the emotional shackles associated with certain topics, remove the stigma attached and just say "Hey, here's a novel concept, if something is happening with you, it's you who has to deal with it. We're not in your shoes, so it would be hypocritical of us to tell you what you should or should not do, but here are what your options are and we can discuss, explain and answer any questions you might have."

There needs to not be a bias one way or the other when the discussion is started, otherwise it just devolves into a perpetual tug of war of ethics and morality, and if humans have proven anything, it's that we are utterly incapable as a species and within a society of morally policing each other, let alone ourselves, so let's just stop deluding ourselves. Maybe then some real &^@#ing progress can be made.

Archived