The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Prospect Swap - Centre for Defence

Jon Merrill/Eric Gelinas for Jensen and Vey

If Jensen can get traded.. Well then only to the Devils :P Gelinas isn't as good as Severson in my opinion, but he still put up pretty impressive points on a bad team as a youngish player. Same goes for Merrill

Couldn't agree more. Vancouver fans (I'm one myself) on CDC could really do with leaving Vancouver for a few years and get outside the bubble. Cassels is a good prospect, compared to other Canuck prospects. But compared to other teams' prospects, he's far from equal to a 7th overall pick from 2014.

Long story short, if the Canucks want to get good defensemen, perhaps they should look at drafting one before the 3rd round for a change. Sauve was the last defenseman drafted prior to the 3rd round.

Cassels, now, may not have that value, but give it another two years, and then let's reevaluate. I see him as becoming our future number two centre, behind Horvat. I would not trade him now, unless it was for one of the top D prospects - as suggested - which he's not worth now.

Cassels, now, may not have that value, but give it another two years, and then let's reevaluate. I see him as becoming our future number two centre, behind Horvat. I would not trade him now, unless it was for one of the top D prospects - as suggested - which he's not worth now.

From the sounds of it Horvat is our #2 centre of the future...

I think the kid is great but I doubt he has a consistent 70+ points in him to take the first line role.

McCann may be our #1 of the future but I dunno it's all a bunch of maybes and could be's... Just wait for Johansen to be UFA :P

I think the kid is great but I doubt he has a consistent 70+ points in him to take the first line role.

McCann may be our #1 of the future but I dunno it's all a bunch of maybes and could be's... Just wait for Johansen to be UFA :P

Well Johansen would be unbelievably ideal for our club, very unlikley though. Especially since they are building a strong unit around him now. And look at this at his home:

Johansen_Court.jpg

The earliest we could get him via UFA is if he signs a one yr on his RFA year and is a UFA at the end of 18/19 season.

So he would be 27, thats 5 years from now and all the stars would have to allign for us and he would have to want to move. I feel like him and Saad are going to be BFFS over the coming years tho.

Say we get him though since the sedins have just retired we have the cap room to throw the bank at him and he wants to come home + baertschi is excelling and the idea of anchoring a top line with him and Virtanen all sell him.

Baertschi-Johansen-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Boeser

Gaunce-McCann-Cassels

4/9 from WHL

4/9 from OHL

1/9 from NCAA

Pretty great looking top 9 if the stars aligned.

I don't see it in McMann (I hope I'm horribly wrong). His motor does not seem to go to me. I think the days of number one centres getting 70+ points might be passing. 60 + points, and a really solid two way game might be where the game is headed. Sure there will be the Crosbys and a couple other guys, who score more than that, but I'm thinking they will be the exception. The centre position is being looked at by the totality of the top three guys combined, spreading out their minutes more evenly.

you know why cassels has great value he shut down connor and had four assists in game that knocked otters out hes gonna be a grest 3rd line center

He's going to be a great centre period. The way ice times are flattening out in the fast paced modern game, the top three centres might become really similar type players. Cassels and Horvat are perfect for the future.

I would perfer to see Benning acquire good D prospects through the first round of the draft (potentially trading for higher positioning if we make the playoffs) and make a trade at the deadline or offseason for Jake Gardiner, we need scoring from our defensemen and he would provide that, with the added bonus of being quite young. With Reilly emerging, Gardiners job is now somewhat redundant in Toronto and his trade value would be a low as possible for a high scoring young Defensman. I dont know what the leafs would want in return, perhaps one of our centre prospects + a mid round pick?

Canucks should move up in the 2016 draft and finally get a stud D-man prospect:

1. They are likely to dump a lot of senior players at trade deadline for draft picks

2. They could package a 1st, 2nd (or 2 2nds) and a prospect centre/winger to move up into the top 3.

I am sick and tired of waiting for one of our own picks to magically develop into a star D - it'll never happen. At least, it hasn't in the 50 yrs I've been a nucks fan-atic.

Archived