The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

questions about having a dog

aeromotacanucks

so my sister and my "brother-in-law" are planning to give a dog to my nephew (he has 4 years).

they/we (family) are still on "research" stage but I have many questions about this. we naver had a Dog before but the family think is a good idea to teach him some responsability and to have a friend always with him...

1) which type of Dog is good for an Apartment? it cannot be a big one but also not a very small one...

-people always tell the Beagle is a nice one. smart, playful, not too loose a lot of animal hair...

-some people tell the Lhasa is algo good, but loose a lot of animal hair...

the apartment is kinda big with a large with doors all the way so they can "isolate" some areas and there´s a long corridor so the dog will be able to run a lot even when it´s raining/cold and there´s an spare room they don´t use that will be it´s "bedroom" and that "room" has a lot of space...

2) age to get one?

-some people tell "the earlier the better" so my sister is planning to get one with 3 months in order to allow us teach the dog the "rules" as the dog grows...

3) getting out for a ride?

-do we have to do this everyday or "day yes, day no" because even inside the house the dog will have a lot of exercise to do. (my nephew is very active)

4) food? overfooding?

-that´s our problem. do we leave the entire plate there and the dog eat as much he/she wants of we just put the amount of food for the day?

-the dog will be growing fast so the amount of one day will not be the same for the next day. she doesn´t want an "overfooded/fat dog"

5) over parenting? what´s the limit?

-they want a Dog and the pet will the created with all love and dedication a Dog deserve but with clear limitations. "they/we´re the human, you´re the Dog" and "I am the leader of the pack and not you"

-we see a lot of people that treat dogs as if they (dogs) were people and then the dogs become very spoiled

6) territories?

-some people tell than even inside the ouse the Dog must know that some places he/she will not be allowed to go without a person going together. this include the couch, the bed and the kitchen of course.

how we do this?

7) only dog food or we can give to him/her some meat sometimes?

-we think that the Dog might be too "bored" of only having the same food over and over so is there any problem if we give some meat or vegetables to the dog sometimes?

8) male of female?

-hard one. since it´s a man we think that giving another male will fit better since "boys understand better boys" will fit nice and these 2 will be best friends. also his father and me, well. we want male dogs...

-also people tell that female dogs have the problem of reaching the "reproductive period" (don´t know the word in english for that) and it create a lot of problems when getting out...

9) castration?

-they (parents) definitely don´t like this idea for the simple fact of this:

"how would you feel if somebody comes to you and cut your balls? you wouldn´t like that right? so why do the same with the dog?"

-a non castrated Dog will become "more rebel" than the castrated one or the behaviour change isn´t that big?

10) education?

-again a big question. people always tell that "the Dog needs a master to follow" but we want to know if there´s a problem if the Dog can be educated to follow more than one people. like my nephew, his mom and dad, and eventually me.

-people say a lot of things. we´re thinking that even teaching the Dog in english might be fine since the Dog will only listen the instruction in english and will ignore the other people giving instructions to their dogs in portuguese...

11) names?

-ok. that´s up to us but my sister likes Russian names and looks like it will be up to be :lol: . we like the "Mig" name since it´s easy to say. also "Sukhoi" and "Beaver" (TU-95 beaver)

-any cool sugestions? :P

we have a long research to do before bring a new friend to the house B)

I'll just touch on a few of the things you mentioned.

- Breed: Beagle is not a breed for an apartment. I love Beagles (it's my fav breed), but they are extremely energetic and are very prone in a small space in an apartment to tear stuff up. My suggestion is research breeds that are good with spaces and not too needy or clingy. There are plenty of non-shedding breeds so that one won't be too hard to find.

- Gender: Doesn't matter, but there's nothing wrong with female. Get her fixed, problem solved.

- Training: Indeed you need to show you're the alpha, which isn't too hard. Don't baby your dog too much, give them space to be alone and to self-cope so it lessens the chances of them exhibiting excessive traits like separation anxiety (very prone in certain breeds like Chihuahua's for example). Might be good to get a second dog to keep them entertained so in situations where you can't walk them, they don't destroy stuff or bark/howl out of boredom too. Emphasize to them (correctional) the importance of not barking to piss off people in the apartment, unless where you live they simply don't care about that.

- As for the diet, that's all depending on what dog you get, so ask lots of questions about diet from whoever you buy it from. As long as it's not people food. As for overeating, that's a possibility too in nervous or bored dogs, so keep an eye on that and portion their food accordingly. Generally dogs will just eat when they're hungry so it's not a problem for most.

- Earlier is better, train your dog the way you want, housebreak them, etc.

Just my two bones.

Get a pug for the apartment.

Name -> Odie, Edgar, Wilbert.

Age -> Puppy, if you do not want to train it get one that's 2 or 3.

Ride/Walk -> No it's a pug, get it out for a walk a couple times a week.

Food -> Feed it once in the morning and once at night.

Parenting -> Treat it like it's family but put rules down. (No dog on the nice furniture, don't feed it scraps ect.)

Territories -> Train him from the start to not go up there or in there. Catch him and act.

M/F -> I'd go for the cheaper gender.

Castration -> It's better if it's castrated.

Education -> There are tons of places to go get your dog trained.

Hope this helped

Beagles bark a LOT, and generally most small dogs too. But if you're in an apartment then smaller is probably the way to go.

If you get a young dogs you can teach it right from the ground up, an older dog can be taught too but can be more work depending on the previous owner and how good they were with training.

The going outside thing isn't just about physical exercise, it's about mental exercise too. A dog that's inside all day will cause more trouble than a dog that gets taken on walks.

Food portions depend on the dog.

Training is great for dogs, most of them love it too. You can still love your dog, but remember that the dog is still an animal, and you make the rules. So often little dogs end up being horribly trained because their owners let things slide. A little dog growling or biting or whatever is just as much a problem as a large dog doing it, don't let it develop into bigger problems.

Territories... depends on your training style and your boundaries. If you don't want your dog in a specific room, then make sure they know that and be consistent enforcing it.

Dogs can eat raw meat just fine, and some people feed them cooked stuff too. Just be careful with cooked meat and bones, since they can break and damage your dogs insides. Check with your vet once you get the dog just to be sure.

My take on dog genders: Male - Happy go lucky, puppys forever, harder to train (more stubborn), tend to be more dominant (which can lead to aggression). Female - Easier to train, most are more passive than males (but not always). Both are great, but for a first dog you might have an easier time with a female. I have a 3.5 year old male dog and only now is he starting to grow up... a little.

Castration... lol that term. Get it done, but wait until your dog is fully developed. Un-neutered dogs are a LOT more work, male and female, probably not something you want to take on for your first dog. Again, this is a discussion with your vet.

Your dog should listen to anyone who commands it, so having it trained by multiple people is important. Language doesn't really matter since most commands will be one word. As long as the other person knows what command to give the dog, it should listen to anyone.

Make sure you are fully committed to the dog for 10+ years before you go out and get one. It will honestly change your daily routine completely. Though if they already have a child I'm sure they know a little about commitment.

Your dog should listen to anyone who commands it, so having it trained by multiple people is important. Language doesn't really matter since most commands will be one word. As long as the other person knows what command to give the dog, it should listen to anyone.

It should be pointed out that well trained dogs like to please.

We have trained our dog some basics. I showed my niece and nephew last weekend and she performed at their command no problem.

It should be pointed out that well trained dogs like to please.

We have trained our dog some basics. I showed my niece and nephew last weekend and she performed at their command no problem.

Yeah, most dogs are actually surprisingly easy to train. The issue is consistency with most people. If you don't continue the training they will forget/start to ignore you

We have a Bichon-Shih Tzu cross named Maximus. He is a small dog (15 lbs), doesn't shed and doesn't bark.

We take him for three solid walks a day. We find this really helps with keeping him fit and well behaved. If they have excess energy to burn, they will find mischief.

He has been with us since he was 10 weeks old. We had him fixed at 10 months old.

I know there's lots of other great dogs and dog breeds, but for us, Max has been perfect.

1. the size of the dog has no bearing on it's energy level. Some big dogs are lazy and suited for apartment living. Some little dogs have so much energy that containing them in an apartment is a disaster for them. As for the Beagle as your first dog in an apartment, I would say no for the same reasons as outlined above.

2. age doesn't matter. There are lots of dogs that need homes at shelters. You don't really need to shell out hundreds or thousands to get a puppy. But if you want to spend money on a dog, be sure to buy from a reputable breeder and not just some guy off craigslist trying to profit off his dog.

3. you gotta walk your dog daily. It's good for their mental health too.

4. You control the food. Leaving food out all day allows the dog to control meal time. Give in here and your dog will become increasingly difficult to deal with.

5. You are the leader. You must correct bad behaviours before they become a problem. It's better to rule over your dog because they sense weak leaders and act accordingly. They don't like being leaders. It's stressful for them. You ever see someone leave the house and their dog is inside barking at them? Their dog is upset they left because that dog has assumed the leader role of the house and can't protect you when it can't see you.

6. training with vigilance. Everyone in the household must be on board. Letting the dog sleep on the kids bed but not on others tells the dog that they are above the kids in the pecking order.

7. As long as you don't hand feed your dog, especially from the table, then the choice of food isn't that big of a concern. However, their systems sometimes can't handle certain foods and you may have to deal with a messy cleanup out the other end if you catch my drift.

8-9. Gender is irrelevant however, fixing your dog is the right thing to do. Some dogs are more aggressive when they aren't fixed and really, the world does not need more dogs. too many are euthanized because people want to pay $$$$ instead of the low adoption fee for a shelter dog.

10. Dogs will get away with whatever you let them. They need to understand that they are the bottom rung of the family ladder or they will be difficult to deal with for anyone the dog feels they are superior to. Dogs understand hierarchy and perfectly happy being the lowest member of the pack; including below small children.

People may disagree with some (or all) of this above but one of the few things that really bugs me is pet owners who treat their pets like humans. When you do this, they become a problem pet and worse, they might hurt someone and it's your fault if they do.

1. the size of the dog has no bearing on it's energy level. Some big dogs are lazy and suited for apartment living. Some little dogs have so much energy that containing them in an apartment is a disaster for them. As for the Beagle as your first dog in an apartment, I would say no for the same reasons as outlined above.

2. age doesn't matter. There are lots of dogs that need homes at shelters. You don't really need to shell out hundreds or thousands to get a puppy. But if you want to spend money on a dog, be sure to buy from a reputable breeder and not just some guy off craigslist trying to profit off his dog.

3. you gotta walk your dog daily. It's good for their mental health too.

4. You control the food. Leaving food out all day allows the dog to control meal time. Give in here and your dog will become increasingly difficult to deal with.

5. You are the leader. You must correct bad behaviours before they become a problem. It's better to rule over your dog because they sense weak leaders and act accordingly. They don't like being leaders. It's stressful for them. You ever see someone leave the house and their dog is inside barking at them? Their dog is upset they left because that dog has assumed the leader role of the house and can't protect you when it can't see you.

6. training with vigilance. Everyone in the household must be on board. Letting the dog sleep on the kids bed but not on others tells the dog that they are above the kids in the pecking order.

7. As long as you don't hand feed your dog, especially from the table, then the choice of food isn't that big of a concern. However, their systems sometimes can't handle certain foods and you may have to deal with a messy cleanup out the other end if you catch my drift.

8-9. Gender is irrelevant however, fixing your dog is the right thing to do. Some dogs are more aggressive when they aren't fixed and really, the world does not need more dogs. too many are euthanized because people want to pay $$$$ instead of the low adoption fee for a shelter dog.

10. Dogs will get away with whatever you let them. They need to understand that they are the bottom rung of the family ladder or they will be difficult to deal with for anyone the dog feels they are superior to. Dogs understand hierarchy and perfectly happy being the lowest member of the pack; including below small children.

People may disagree with some (or all) of this above but one of the few things that really bugs me is pet owners who treat their pets like humans. When you do this, they become a problem pet and worse, they might hurt someone and it's your fault if they do.

Even more than that, but dogs think in simple terms, if you treat them like an equal, they won't treat you like an equal. If you're not the alpha, in their mind, they are. And indeed they will act out in unintended ways.

Regarding food, I can't imagine a dog not eating everything that is available. Cats, sure you can often put down a bowl of food and they pace themselves. Dogs will likely eat it all, even if it makes them barf later. Then come back for more. Food variety is good, but check what is safe and what isn't. Our pets (cat, dog) are willing to eat a variety of veggies and fruits given the opportunity, but of course they still need their meat.

Do lots of research into the breed, since activity levels vary, and you don't want your dog tearing up the apartment as soon as your back is turned. The kid might think Jack Russells or dalmatians are cute, but f they get bored, watch out! Find a breed that requires no more attention than you are willing to provide. If you get an active dog, train it so it has work to do (tricks, herding, fetching, hauling, etc), as this will make the dog happier since it has a purpose that pleases those above it in the pack. For some dogs, even something as simple as putting a doggie backpack on it while going for a walk will give it a sense of accomplishment.

The dog needs to learn that it is below the humans in the pack. When they know their place, they are happier critters, and you will have a better relationship.

Unless you can teach your dog (assuming you get a male like it seems will happen) to put the condom on consistently, you better get it fixed :P (condom humor added given OP's comments in abortion pill thread)

And, enjoy. A dog can be a great addition to a family that cares enough.

Gonna echo the portions about size not being the main factors in compatibility with an apartment. Also not ever dog is the same even if they are the same breed or similar mix.

I have 2 dogs, one Jack Russell x $&!#zu and one Jack Russell x Boston Terrier. Both are very different. My Boston Terrier mix is extremely lazy/relaxed 75% of the time. The other 25 he is very high stung, high energy. My $&!#zu mix is very mellow. She almost never gets to a high energy point unless we are out at the lake or something.

If they are going to be in an apartment though make sure to get them to an off leash Park sometimes too. A walk is good but they need to run and get loose a bit too.

Lol the breed is censored haha

I've had many dogs during my younger years. Not for long time now, I got a boxer puppy about 13 years ago. He was pure white with ice blue eyes. Most gorgious thing ever. I kinda knew there was a possiblility he could be deaf but the breeder said I could bring him back if that was the case.

After a week or so It was apparent he couldn't hear, poor guy was deaf. I couldn't get my self to take him back, found my self getting more and more attached by the day and the week. I knew I had to take him back sooner or later because part of the reason for bringing him home was security for the family. It was very difficult process.

So my advice, make sure the dog is medically cleared and checked out. Otherwise it's emotionally quite difficult to take a pet back. I still think about him and its been 13 years.

Archived