The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brandon Sutter deal almost done

Good thing he's going to be our 2nd line center then.

Says who?

Because he is being paid like one doesn't mean he will be one.

Guy has never put up big points in his career EVEN in junior.

He is an excellent shut down guy and probably the perfect 3rd line center on a contender.

But 2C? Sure, I guess, on a team that is declining/rebuilding.

Says who?

He is an excellent shut down guy and probably the perfect 3rd line center on a contender.

Jim Benning and Sutter seem to think he'll be on the second line. I'll take their word.

Guy scored 21 last season. Pretty sure he can put up second line numbers considering he put up 33 as a third liner.

He didn't look like he needed replacing last year.

I'll worry about that when its a thing. It's not a thing yet.

Not even close to a thing!

i really love people saying were in trouble for the future of our number 1 centre!

lets say in 3 years we have H.Sedin, Horvat, Sutter as our top 3 centers

Horvat 70ish points

Sedin 60ish points

Sutter 40-50 points

its within the potential in my mind for this to be a reality and before you all stat 70 points isn't a first line centre

Toews has only passed 70 points once in his career (76)

That is great scoring depth down the middle!

Will be interesting to see thee term, AAV, and the structure of it.

With no NTC (or a very limited one), and a front loaded deal in terms of dollars there is almost no issue or risk. If he doesn't work out there are always cap floor teams willing to take on deals where they don't have to pay as much out in real dollars, regardless of the cap hit.

$4.4 million should not include any NTC though since that is pretty much fair market value and no discount for the stability.

He is currently a tweener who is either a solid 3C or a lower end 2C... at this age, you pay for what he is now and not what there is a small chance he could become. $4.4 million is a big chunk to pay for a 3C, especially with no sign of the dollar recovering in the near future and probably resulting in another offseason next year with big cap constraints.

He is currently a tweener who is either a solid 3C or a lower end 2C... at this age, you pay for what he is now and not what there is a small chance he could become. $4.4 million is a big chunk to pay for a 3C, especially with no sign of the dollar recovering in the near future and probably resulting in another offseason next year with big cap constraints.

I hate the word "tweener". It carries such a negative connotation.

The only reason he wasn't a second line center in Pittsburgh is because he was never going to pass Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart. Not many players would. That's like calling Jordan Staal a tweener in his time there.

Opportunity has an amazing effect on players stats. Who would have thought Burrows or Samuelsson would ever become 30 goal scorers.

Having Sutter signed for the next 6 years at 3.3 and 4.3ish will be excellent security down the middle considering the other young centers.

I love Couturier - he's a tough comparable to live up to (considering what he's done up to age 22) - but I think comparable money is certainly warranted all things considered - Brandon is 26 yrs old, and has earned these terms imo.

Bones won't be re-signing anywhere near his current cap hit in two years when his term expires.

Given how reliable his defensive game is, and his higher upside than the typical 3C, I think there is very reasonable risk in giving him that kind of money and more than likely Sutter will be worth more than his cap hit as opposed to the Canucks 'overpaying'.

That is at or below his market value imo.

4.4 is way too high for a guy that hasn't played a game with us yet. If he doesn't gel like he didn't in Pittsburgh it'll be very tough to move.

We will have some cash available because Vrbata and Prust contracts will be done and I doubt we will re-sign either. Miller will be gone the year after (along with Higgins).

But 4+ for a 3rd line C? Too much. Especially since Horvat, Vey, Baertschi, Hamhuis and Burrows will be needing new contracts

How much more offensive upside do ya'll think Bo has than Sutter? Sutter maxing out at 55 points best case scenario and Bo at 65-70 in his prime?

Because if those are our pillars at centre going forward... we're gonna need more offence.

Keep in mind, only 24 centres last year scored over 60 points -- that's less than one per team. To have two of them at or close to that would be great.

Says who?

There's a lot more to his game than just points. There is no points vs salary chart by which GMs determine players' sole worth.

4.4 is way too high for a guy that hasn't played a game with us yet. If he doesn't gel like he didn't in Pittsburgh it'll be very tough to move.

He didn't gel in Pittsburgh?

He scored more goals than Kunitz and was 4th in goals behind Crosby (28), Malkin (28), and Horqvist (25). I'd say he fit in pretty well.

The only reason they dumped him is because they don't have enough forward depth and needed to add cheap centers.

I thought Pedan looked very nice last year despite his first few games in Utica. He's someone I hope that can take the next jump next year into his development and hopefully steps in for us. He's got that nice size, tough, decent first pass, and has an amazing shot if he utilizes it.

Someone I'm definitely going to look forward to is Pedan. Should be interesting how he develops in these upcoming years.

Also skates very well for a big man. As mentioned, he and Biega are likely the first two callups on D.

It's hilarious how delusional everyone here is. Just hop on over to any of the Penguins' boards, and you will see that absolutely every single Pens fan LOVES this trade and thinks they fleeced us (which is fair, as they actually did fleece us). And, that was with Sutter making $1+ million less a year.

Says who?

Too much being made of this. Was a near ppg as a 17 yr old in the Dub - and NHL scouts saw fit to make him an 11th overall pick, looking beyond simple production alone - as the Canucks did when they took Horvat at 9th overall.

Again as an 18 yr old, 49 points in 59 games on a team that did not have another 30pt player, and had an 18-47 record.

I hate the word "tweener". It carries such a negative connotation.

The only reason he wasn't a second line center in Pittsburgh is because he was never going to pass Crosby and Malkin on the depth chart. Not many players would. That's like calling Jordan Staal a tweener in his time there.

Opportunity has an amazing effect on players stats. Who would have thought Burrows or Samuelsson would ever become 30 goal scorers.

Only because you put that connotation on it. Nothing negative about being "kind of" good enough to play higher in the roster than your current stats and ability have shown.

I have hopes he increases his production, but you don't pay a 5-6 year contract at a value that is assuming that will be the case because there is significant risk that it won't pay off. You take his what he has shown to date.

He is not a 22 year old who has been vastly improving every year and has a ton of untapped upside. He could be incrementally better with increased responsibility or because he gels with linemates.

It's hilarious how delusional everyone here is. Just hop on over to any of the Penguins' boards, and you will see that absolutely every single Pens fan LOVES this trade and thinks they fleeced us (which is fair, as they actually did fleece us). And, that was with Sutter making $1+ million less a year.

Let's go visit them in November and see how they feel then.

So Pens fans opinions are the be all and end all?

Pretty sure you'll see both extremes on either side. In the end the trade likely won't be as good as Pens fans currently think, and won't be as bad as Canucks fans currently think.

Remember when Sabres fans were laughing at us because they "stole" Hodgson from us? How did that work out for them again? At least we still have a player to show for it.

There's a lot more to his game than just points. There is no points vs salary chart by which GMs determine players' sole worth.

I never said there wasn't.

He is an amazing shut down guy, and an elite 3C.

But for the people who want him at 2C, points are a huge factor...

Only because you put that connotation on it. Nothing negative about being "kind of" good enough to play higher in the roster than your current stats and ability have shown.

I have hopes he increases his production, but you don't pay a 5-6 year contract at a value that is assuming that will be the case because there is significant risk that it won't pay off. You take his what he has shown to date.

That's the way it should be, but unfortunately players often get more for their prime age based on potential. You see it all the time.

He just scored 21 goals as a third line center. In the open market teams will pay him at least 4.5 for that.

Archived