The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics, video

nofreetime

Beijing itself doesn't rlly have much to offer, but IMO some of the cities up north in China do and that's likely where a lot of the events will be hosted even though its technically just Beijing

MEH.

Kinda knew it was gonna go to Beijing, not really surprised.

But if you're going to have winter olympics in China, at least choose a city like Harbin, which has the coldest and longest winters out of all Chinese cities.

What is the point when you need fake snow? What's next? 2026 Winter Olympics in Cuba?

Well much of it is to spread popularity of winter sports in China + to showcase China to the world and Harbin wouldn't be able to do that, although it is by far the most logical choice to actually host it for the sake of the events.

But unfortunately events aren't really important apparently

What was wrong with the 2014 Olympics? Seems like it went off without a hitch to me.

Nothing wrong in terms of the operation of it, just the budget is way out of whack when compared to other games. I understand that with the real possible threat of terrorism in Russia (Chechens), that a huge security budget was required, but the total bill of $50 billion is way too much.

Vancouver's $10-15 billion (depending on the accounting) may seem a bit high, but it can be somewhat argued that the investments will be paying dividends into the future. The same can't be said about Sochi.

Nothing wrong in terms of the operation of it, just the budget is way out of whack when compared to other games. I understand that with the real possible threat of terrorism in Russia (Chechens), that a huge security budget was required, but the total bill of $50 billion is way too much.

Vancouver's $10-15 billion (depending on the accounting) may seem a bit high, but it can be somewhat argued that the investments will be paying dividends into the future. The same can't be said about Sochi.

Oh ok I follow you now. Well said.

hills that need 2 hours drive to get to and cannot function without round the clock snow creation are not ski hills.

while Vancouver had to store snow, it was by and large real.

There is a reason people are not happy about this

2hr drive was Vancouver to whistler.

China will build high speed rail, will get to one venue in 20 mins, the second 50 mins.

https://youtu.be/eBwxeqaFZMY

As for lack of snow, Cypress had that problem.

So did Austria, Japan

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/22/sports/olympics/22snow.html?_r=0

All I care about is NHL players going to Korea in 2018, and 2022?

Archived