The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two-Part Off-season Discussion Poll

Off-Season Poll  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought I'd stir up some discussion during this off-season.

Personally, I see three teams (Pittsburgh/ Dallas/ Calgary) as having made the most substantial jumps towards becoming a contender. However, has any of them (or Anaheim/ Tampa) become good enough to dethrone reigning Chicago, captained by Captain Serious/ Clutch, Jonathan Toews, and led by Patty "Show Time" Kane and Duncan "Norris" Keith? Or will someone else emerge to challenge these upper-tier players?

Discuss away! I'd love to see everyone's thoughts.

Calgary improved buttloads. Hamilton will be huge for them.

It's a crap-shoot as to who will win the cup these days, but I'll go with Anaheim. EDIT: Actually, I forgot how good Tampa is becoming, so I changed my vote.

Also, your first question isn't inclusive of all possibilities, as someone who thinks a different team than those three was the most improved will be at a loss as to how to vote.

Pittsburgh.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel

Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist

Plotnikov-Fehr-Dupuis

Bonino-Sundqvist-Bennett

Is an unreal forwards lineup.

Anaheim is the best team tho.

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry

Hagelin-Kesler-Stewart

Ritchie-Cogliano-Sekac

Rakell-Thompson-Horcoff

Jackman

Fowler-Vatanen

Stoner-Lindholm

Theodore-Bieksa

O'Brien, Holzer

Andersen

Gibson

Khudobin

Pittsburgh and Tampa.

Pittsburgh actually can afford to shuffle Crosby's linemates without ending up with AHL'rs in their top six but lack the defensive core to go all the way IMO.

Tampa now has a cup run under their belt and they'll be much more hungry this time around.

A lot of teams improved, but in the end I'm saying we'll see an Anaheim-Washington Final with the Ducks taking it in 7.

Pittsburgh.

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel

Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist

Plotnikov-Fehr-Dupuis

Bonino-Sundqvist-Bennett

Is an unreal forwards lineup.

Anaheim is the best team tho.

Maroon-Getzlaf-Perry

Hagelin-Kesler-Stewart

Ritchie-Cogliano-Sekac

Rakell-Thompson-Horcoff

Jackman

Fowler-Vatanen

Stoner-Lindholm

Theodore-Bieksa

O'Brien, Holzer

Andersen

Gibson

Khudobin

Your Anaheim roster is off by quite a bit.

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry

Hagelin - Kesler - Silfverberg

Cogliano - Rakell - Stewart

Ritchie - Thompson - Horcoff/Sekac

Fowler - Vatanen

Lindholm - Bieksa

Despres - Stoner

Andersen

Gibson

A lot of teams improved, but in the end I'm saying we'll see an Anaheim-Washington Final with the Ducks taking it in 7.

Your Anaheim roster is off by quite a bit.

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry

Hagelin - Kesler - Silfverberg

Cogliano - Rakell - Stewart

Ritchie - Thompson - Horcoff/Sekac

Fowler - Vatanen

Lindholm - Bieksa

Despres - Stoner

Andersen

Gibson

Whoops thanks, forgot about Silfverberg.

And Despres, apparently.

Still an OP roster.

Thought I'd stir up some discussion during this off-season.

Personally, I see three teams (Pittsburgh/ Dallas/ Calgary) as having made the most substantial jumps towards becoming a contender. However, has any of them (or Anaheim/ Tampa) become good enough to dethrone reigning Chicago, captained by Captain Serious/ Clutch, Jonathan Toews, and led by Patty "Show Time" Kane and Duncan "Norris" Keith? Or will someone else emerge to challenge these upper-tier players?

Discuss away! I'd love to see everyone's thoughts.

Good mid summer topic. When it comes to Calgary I think the DH move over shadows their goaltending. It's just not good enough. I think Calgarys moves are a little overrated . I see Calgary making the playoffs but not as strong as people think they are

• 3 weeks later...

Detroit. Stayed contending for years, young players with huge potential that keep getting better and are learning from Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg. When healthy, their veterans are still a huge part. Still have more potential big talent coming in Larkin, A. Mantha, Pulkkinen, Athanasiou, Ouellet, Sproul, and now Svechnikov. They add Brad Richards and Mike Green, great pickups who can help a lot. Get Franzen healthy and allow Mantha one more year he likely needs in the AHL, maybe Pulkkinen too.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Nyquist Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Franzen-B. Richards-Tatar Franzen-B. Richards-Tatar

Jurco-Sheahan-Abdelkader OR Helm-Sheahan-Pulkkinen

D. Miller-Helm-Glendening/Ferraro Jurco-Glendening-Abdelkader

J. Andersson

Kronwall-B. Smith

DeKeyser-M. Green

Quincey-Ericsson

Kindl-Marchenko/Ouellet

Mrazek

Howard

Calgary is definitely way better off than they were last season, their young guys are established/establishing into everyday NHLers, Hamilton and Giordano together as the top defensive pair is an impressive pair and I'm sure Giordano can play a bit of a mentor role for Hamilton too. Plus if Calgary does some how land Franson that'll just give them a deep D-core. Frolik I think too can be a decent 2nd line scorer for them. (Edmonton, LA, and Pittsburgh I thought had good summers too)

My other vote was for Tampa Bay..They certainly have the chance to be the top team in the east consistently. If they don't win the cup next season they certainly will in the near future.

I find it mindblowing how short term memory the OP is. LA has won 2 of last 4 cups and yet completely ignored by OP.

Haha thanks. They slipped my mind, they should still be considered a tough out in the playoffs with stars like Kopitar, Doughty, Quick, Gaborik, Carter, Toffoli and now Lucic along with the depth guys. With their summer of rest they should be ready to make noise again. It's just that they didn't make nearly as much noise (Mike Richards and Slava Voynov notwithstanding) as other teams I had noticed and essentially replaced Williams by adding Lucic. They did add lots of cap space, but I guess we'll have to see whether the Hoff could replace Slava's production when Christian's production has taken a downward turn, or if they could find other solutions as needed.

Everyone should be entitled their own choices and I made mine, I guess LA is your pick for the Cup?

Archived