The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ebola vaccine trial proves 100% successful in Guinea - May Bring Current Epidemic to an End

Aladeen

And you missed the point of posting that article. It was to show how things once thought beaten can come right back if people stop vaccinating. Good math comparing a highly localized outbreak to national autism numbers. Can you tell me how many apples fit inside a lobster after?

And, part of my point was that even though it can come back, how bad is it?

In developed countries, the risk of death even to those not vaccinated is still minimal, given the improved health care, nutrition, sanitation, etc. in those countries.

Don't like my comparison between the BC outbreak and the US/Canada, fine. If you compare the national stats, your argument gets worse since the Fraser Valley situation was a localized outbreak. 512 Canadian cases in 2014 (a bad year, comparatively, out of 35 million people, with no confirmed deaths. About 1/6th the impact rather than looking at BC alone.

http://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/burden/vpd/surveillance_type/active/measlesreportedcasesbycountry.pdf

How big is the lobster, and is it being killed and stuffed with apples, or alive and being fed the apples? Let me know and I'll get back to you when I have the time. :picard:

I'm not saying everyone should stop taking them. Mr A mentions the herd immunity effect. If there was some moderation in applying vaccines, I could me more open to sharing my exposure to them. Let's say, for the sake of example, there are 10 vaccines that are generally being taken in a given community where the risk of the disease is low, give each person 2-3, or 4-5 of them, and let the herd effect benefit the community as a whole. But when nearly every child is given a wide variety of vaccines, that compounds the risk of adverse effects while the risk of the diseases being targeted by vaccines remains incredibly low.

Measles comes here from places where vaccination is rare, and health, nutrition, and sanitation are worse than they are here. Government efforts towards doing something to prevent the disease from coming into our respective countries, and on-going efforts (since there are numerous charities that work to improve 3rd world countries) including vaccination in these at-risk countries to me is a much better use of resources.

You keep talking about low disease rates, those low disease rates are actually evidence for the effectiveness of vaccines. If it weren't for vaccines, these diseases would be much more prevalent.

I agree that vaccination played a big part in lowering the disease rate. But the continued, widespread use of vaccination in countries such as ours, where the disease needs to be imported to spread, should be weighed against t, e risk of side-effects of the vaccination.

Are we (or should I say many of you arguing against me here) being selfish keeping the vaccinations here? Similar to my suggestion above, how about on alternate years use the vaccinations planned for our countries and have them sent to more at-risk places instead?

- Edited to add WHO link.

But, but, but... do they know how these vaccines will test out? Notice that children, adolescents and pregnant women weren't given the vaccine, since they didn't know the effects yet.

Vaccines are fine when there is an issue. If I was living in West Africa and there was an outbreak, I'd sign up for the stuff. But giving vaccines to everybody for diseases that are now rare (fortunately) here is wasteful, and potentially harmful. I would rather take my chances getting polio than the potential for autism, liver damage, etc. that vaccines can cause.

Good job on those that made this vaccine happen... Ebola is scary stuff. But don't sign me up for my shot just yet. If you want to, that's up to you.

This

Jesus, don't be so sensitive. If I wanted to insult your intelligence, I would do that instead of poking some lighthearted fun. You seem to share Jenny's concerns, so why do you view it as a pejorative anyway?

I'm not nearly versed well enough to write a convincing argument and will leave that to someone more qualified. That said, I think you're completely wrong, and overall I view your position as ignorant and dangerous. You're entirely relying on heart immunity for your protection, and while you alone don't matter in the grand scheme, the more people think that way, the less vaccinated the populace become and the more outbreaks will occur. Look at measles in BC last year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/b-c-measles-outbreak-reveals-vulnerability-of-unvaccinated-children-1.2585457

Anyway, I'm just going to go ahead and listen to medical consensus. You're free to endanger yourself and your children, we don't live in Soviet Russia after all. I do hope unvaccinated kids are not allowed to attend public schools though.

Hey for someone not versed you should use your own advice and stfu.

The heart mentality or 'herd' how its spelled is grossely understood and miss interpreted.

Btw why are you worried? If you are vacinnated you shouldnt fear us "anti-vaxxers' because your immune right? Or is that not the purpose of immunization?

Dont worry the vacinnes are safe

Dont worry the water is safe (floride proven to only work applied directly to issue, drinking flourise is same as drinking poison)

Dont worry the plastic is safe (bpa )

Dont worry coke is safe (indians in india (aka indians lol) use for pesticides because other abimals wont eat

Don't worry its just pepsi (same as coke, can disolve a metal nail overnight)

Dont worry its just ......

When are you going to stop being slaves and neive. Dont put anything in your body that is not naturally made for your body. I hope all you for vacinners who trash the intellegent people do not continue to procreate so your dna can gracefully stop existing and humans can put progress infront of money.

Hey for someone not versed you should use your own advice and stfu.

The heart mentality or 'herd' how its spelled is grossely understood and miss interpreted.

Btw why are you worried? If you are vacinnated you shouldnt fear us "anti-vaxxers' because your immune right? Or is that not the purpose of immunization?

Dont worry the vacinnes are safe

Dont worry the water is safe (floride proven to only work applied directly to issue, drinking flourise is same as drinking poison)

Dont worry the plastic is safe (bpa )

Dont worry coke is safe (indians in india (aka indians lol) use for pesticides because other abimals wont eat

Don't worry its just pepsi (same as coke, can disolve a metal nail overnight)

Dont worry its just ......

When are you going to stop being slaves and neive. Dont put anything in your body that is not naturally made for your body. I hope all you for vacinners who trash the intellegent people do not continue to procreate so your dna can gracefully stop existing and humans can put progress infront of money.

I'm sorry, I don't speak stupid. You'll have to get a translator.

Herd immunity only works if a high percentage of people are vaccinated. We've seen resurgence of once eradicated or severely controlled pathogens because so many decided not to vaccinate -- herd immunity easily breaks down in those communities. At that point, all of those who chose not to vaccinate are a danger to the rest of people who did, or those who have specific health reasons why they cannot (elderly, extremely young, immunocompromised, etc.). Exposing people to such diseases because of one's own conscious choice not to vaccinate, to me, is pretty much criminal. Of course, I talk specifically about deadly pathogens that vaccines like MMR covers, and not necessarily the yearly influenza vaccine.

Agree 100%. (I guess stranger things have happened :P )

Also, there's no scientific evidence linking vaccines to autism. That little myth has been perpetuated by McCarthy and her ilk. (and apparently, a few CDCers, who took grade 9 chemistry)

Fun site: http://www.antivaccinebodycount.com/Anti-Vaccine_Body_Count/Home.html

From the same guys who used to do the jenny McCarthy death count. For the record Jenny McCarthy was a drug addict (still may be). She used illegal drugs during her pregnancy. Her child was born with autism. Something linked to using certain illegal drugs during pregnancy. She couldnt handle being the cause of her childs autism and so when a doctor came along and told her "no no no its not your fault its the vaccines" she jumped on board. That doctor, Andrew Wakefield was discredited, his published work retracted after he was found to have falsified his major work on the connection of autism to the MMR vaccine. His co authors all retracted their portions of his work. His conclusions were found to be utterly baseless. He was financially involved with a company who had developed a different vaccine for the same problem and decided a scare to the public would see his vaccine widely adopted. His licences to practice medicine in Britain and the US have been revoked. Jenny continues to say he was right because she has no choice. Otherwise its her fault.

In Japan they stopped using the MMR vaccine and individual vaccines are being used for each of the diseases separately. Rates of autism in Japan have continued to increase showing no correlation with the change.

Donald Trump is an advocate for not vaccinating your child. That right there should be a red flag for the anti-vaccine community.

Archived