The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These changes were long overdue!

RaymondT

There's been no shortage of criticism over the recent changes but in defense of management, they were necessary..

A half dozen years or so of watching the Canucks get slapped around like little kids when the zebras pocket the whistles in the playoffs have a left a bad taste in everybody's mouths. It's no surprise that Benning and Trevor are finally addressing this festering wound we've had for years.

Watching one wrecking ball by the name of Ferland dismantle the entire team was too painful too watch and really underscored how bad it had gotten. It was like nobody knew how to respond in kind so they wound up in the box with a penalty. It seems the zebra's will let some serious fouls go (charging!) but the slightest retaliation gets a hand in the air.

Thank god were finally addressing this!

why is higgins,hansen and Burrows still here? If you are talking about change than make the complete change and how does Prust give us a edge over Ferlund? lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferlund was a non-factor against the Ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defence who get the puck out.

?

I agree with what you are saying. Sutter is like a Malhotra - good defensive player with size, but not really physical.

We swapped in Prust for Kassian. While Prust fights a lot more, and is more intense, Kassian is huge and plays quite nasty himself. Problem is Kassian played only 8 playoff games, hard to say if he would be a factor or not. In terms of physicality we upgraded, but we aren't more intimidating.

The problem is our defense. Bartkowski should give us more mobility over Bieksa at least.

Well, Canucks have had a bit of a wussified culture for the last several years. Guys like Kassian were supposed to change that by mixing skill with toughness. Now we're ditching the skill and going for plain toughness. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't.

It was always within our abilities to sign or trade for a tougher breed of 4th liners.

It seemed like we ended up with a lot of Taylor Pyatts and Brad Isbisters, big guys who just never played that big.

But I don't know that guys like Prust and Dorsett are light years ahead of legitimate hard workers and fairly tough guys we had in the past like Jeff Cowan or Mike Weaver. They are getting paid a lot to muck and grind.

why is higgins,hansen and Burrows still here? If you are talking about change than make the complete change and how does Prust give us a edge over Ferlund? lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferlund was a non-factor against the Ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defence who get the puck out.

?

Yooo tell me who would take on Burrows and Higgins' contracts. Trading players is easier said than done. Didn't you hear what Benning said when they traded Lack? Pretty much every team thought he was a back up goalie hence his value on the market. With Higgins and Burrows' contract they wouldn't fetch for much. Maybe that's why they haven't got traded yet.

?

Talk about taking things out of context... Where did he mention Sutter being the change that makes us a harder team to play against. The OP was suggesting the need of being a tougher grittier team OVERALL and that's exactly what Benning is doing.

For starters, the players you mentioned have NTC's which hurts trade value. Also, only Burrows at this point in time is "overpaid" I guess. However the ability to slide into any wing on any line and continue to be effective isn't something a lot of players are able to do, hence his worth.

If you really question the abilities and intangibles Higgins and Hansen bring to the team, I don't know how to help you. I personally would like to see Higgins moved mostly because I believe we have younger and cheaper players that can learn to bring the same style of game. Hansen has wheels and tenacity, which is something that fits this teams persona moving forward.

Come on man. I know you're all over these boards reading a lot of posts. Are you intentionally obtuse to what's going on with this team, or just don't agree with it? If it's the latter that's your right but if it's the former... Man. I don't even know what to say.

Now we're ditching the skill and going for plain toughness.

Pretty sure Baertschi and Vey represent skill, not to mention we added Vrbata.

We definitely haven't ditched the skill. We're just trying to find the right balance of skill and toughness.

Hansen... I don't know how anyone can even speak badly about him. The guy has been an undisputed work horse for us over the seasons.

Burr had a pretty decent come back year from injury/tort era

sh**-kickings.... Guy couldn't quite get back into his stride because of it though.

Anyways, yeah let's throw them under the bus too.

Sad.

Hero's in my books.

Talk about taking things out of context... Where did he mention Sutter being the change that makes us a harder team to play against. The OP was suggesting the need of being a tougher grittier team OVERALL and that's exactly what Benning is doing.

For starters, the players you mentioned have NTC's which hurts trade value. Also, only Burrows at this point in time is "overpaid" I guess. However the ability to slide into any wing on any line and continue to be effective isn't something a lot of players are able to do, hence his worth.

If you really question the abilities and intangibles Higgins and Hansen bring to the team, I don't know how to help you. I personally would like to see Higgins moved mostly because I believe we have younger and cheaper players that can learn to bring the same style of game. Hansen has wheels and tenacity, which is something that fits this teams persona moving forward.

Come on man. I know you're all over these boards reading a lot of posts. Are you intentionally obtuse to what's going on with this team, or just don't agree with it? If it's the latter that's your right but if it's the former... Man. I don't even know what to say.

I agree with comments about Higgins and Hansen. I am not sure why so many CDC posters are negative about them. I agree that neither one is a legitimate top 6 forward. But they are both excellent bottom 6 forwards. They are both excellent defensively, can play shutdown, are very good on the PK, are very consistent in terms of effort. They can be streaky with scoring, as is true of pretty much everyone except very high end offensive players. ANd they provide significant secondary scoring. They are not big but they are not small either and they contribute to the physical game. Hansen is the best skater on the team and Higgins is a decent skater.

They were both very important in the Cup run of 2011 and their play is very similar now to what is was then, although Higgins is at the age where we might expect age-related decline to begin.

Their cap hits of $2.5 million are very reasonable. By any actual measure of performance they are considerably better than Prust and Dorsett who are getting the same salaries. And they are bargains compared to what Sbisa is being paid or what Sutter is about to get.

If they Canucks traded them now for 2nd or 3rd round picks and used young players instead, the team would not do as well this year. That might be the best long run strategy for rebuilding the team, but it is unreasonable to keep dumping on Higgins and Hansen. And I think Hansen was important is helping Horvat develop last year.

To put things in perspective here are the NHL career scoring rates for these players in points per game (PPG) followed by their cap hits:

Higgins: 0.49 (2.5)

Sutter: 0,41 (3.5 about to go to 4.4 according to Elliotte Friedman)

Hansen: 0.39 (2.5)

Prust: 0.24 (2.5)

Dorsett: 0.24 (2.65)

And Hansen and Higgins are both excellent defensive forwards and hard workers as well, and are good team-mates.

I am not saying I would happy with playing them in the top 6. I am saying that they deserve a lot more respect than they have been getting from a lot of fans and media. Put them with Horvat or Sutter and that would be an excellent shut-down third line -- like when they played with Malhotra in the 2011 Cup run.

I think we have to look at this summers moves on a case by case basis. Then we can decide if the team has improved or not.

Richardson out - Richardson was a good 4C who can play up to 3C, good leadership and good PK. Vey is getting his chance and the leadership, PK is being made up for by Sutter

Bonino out, Sutter in - Sutter is faster, as good defensively, better on the PK, better at face offs (right handed), a leader (had and A in Pitt)

Kassian out, Prust in - shipping out a problem

Matthias out - was due a big raise (ended up being much less than anybody expected), streaky, inconsistent, let go to make room for Baertschi

Bieksa out, Bartkowski in - Bieksa had lots of character but had lost a step and was exposed by Ferkland in playoffs

Lack out - difficult call, allows for Markstrom promotion

Young players promoted - Baertschi, Corrado, Vey, Markstrom maybe 1 other

Benning wants a team that is fast and is hard to play against. I think that this team is faster. He has also made room for some young players. The move that everybody wanted was Higgins to move along but it seems that his NTC and term remaining (2 years) stopped that from happening. Deployed in his natural 3LW position, he brings some value defensively but he can't stay on the 2nd line. I don't see goal production getting worse overall, it's probably no better this year. Defensive mobility is better since Bieksa and Stanton are gone and Bartkowski and Corrado are in. This was a goal of Bennings for the summer.

Overall, I think that team speed is better. Character, I'm not sure is better with the loss of Bieksa and Ritchardson. The loss of Kassan helps character and the addition of Sutter and Prust helps. In other areas I think they are about the same.

There's been no shortage of criticism over the recent changes but in defense of management, they were necessary..

A half dozen years or so of watching the Canucks get slapped around like little kids when the zebras pocket the whistles in the playoffs have a left a bad taste in everybody's mouths. It's no surprise that Benning and Trevor are finally addressing this festering wound we've had for years.

Watching one wrecking ball by the name of Ferland dismantle the entire team was too painful too watch and really underscored how bad it had gotten. It was like nobody knew how to respond in kind so they wound up in the box with a penalty. It seems the zebra's will let some serious fouls go (charging!) but the slightest retaliation gets a hand in the air.

Thank god were finally addressing this!

We (sort of) added toughness. Though I'm not sure if anyone is afraid of old man Prust or middleweight Dorsett. The problem is, this toughness is added at a point when the team isn't good enough anymore to do anything in the playoffs.

I agree with comments about Higgins and Hansen. I am not sure why so many CDC posters are negative about them. I agree that neither one is a legitimate top 6 forward. But they are both excellent bottom 6 forwards. They are both excellent defensively, can play shutdown, are very good on the PK, are very consistent in terms of effort. They can be streaky with scoring, as is true of pretty much everyone except very high end offensive players. ANd they provide significant secondary scoring. They are not big but they are not small either and they contribute to the physical game. Hansen is the best skater on the team and Higgins is a decent skater.

They were both very important in the Cup run of 2011 and their play is very similar now to what is was then, although Higgins is at the age where we might expect age-related decline to begin.

Their cap hits of $2.5 million are very reasonable. By any actual measure of performance they are considerably better than Prust and Dorsett who are getting the same salaries. And they are bargains compared to what Sbisa is being paid or what Sutter is about to get.

If they Canucks traded them now for 2nd or 3rd round picks and used young players instead, the team would not do as well this year. That might be the best long run strategy for rebuilding the team, but it is unreasonable to keep dumping on Higgins and Hansen. And I think Hansen was important is helping Horvat develop last year.

To put things in perspective here are the NHL career scoring rates for these players in points per game (PPG) followed by their cap hits:

Higgins: 0.49 (2.5)

Sutter: 0,41 (3.5 about to go to 4.4 according to Elliotte Friedman)

Hansen: 0.39 (2.5)

Prust: 0.24 (2.5)

Dorsett: 0.24 (2.65)

And Hansen and Higgins are both excellent defensive forwards and hard workers as well, and are good team-mates.

I am not saying I would happy with playing them in the top 6. I am saying that they deserve a lot more respect than they have been getting from a lot of fans and media. Put them with Horvat or Sutter and that would be an excellent shut-down third line -- like when they played with Malhotra in the 2011 Cup run.

Good post James. I agree with a lot of what you said. Ultimately I think Benning will decide what to do with Higgins and/or Hansen dependent on training camp and pre season. A wily vet like Higgins would provide a team looking to make a run come trade deadline and personally I think that's when he'll be moved.

On paper, I really like the mix of our team. People saying we don't have enough secondary scoring need to simply look at the numbers that these players consistently put up. Higgins is a 40 point player, Hansen 30-35, Sutter 30-35. Horvat SHOULD continue his upward trend, assuming he doesn't have a case of the sophomore blues. Baertschi is the biggest question mark to me.

If our grinders can chip in on a consistent basis there's no reason we can't compete for a playoff spot. To the people making this continuous complaint, I'm not sure what you want.

Don't trade top prospects - check

Get grittier and harder to play against - check

Fix 3 goaltender situation - check

Out with aging assets - check

Provide depth - check

The ONLY thing Benning hasn't gone after need-wise yet is defence. We now have a plethora of solid veterans and pretty good forward prospects. Look to him to make some changes this season in that area again, as he continues to assess the team throughout the season.

I've said multiple times so far, this trade deadline and 2016 draft will be where Benning really puts his mark on this team for better or worse. Until then, I'll analyze and critique his moves like everyone else but my judgement is reserved until next summer.

?

He had 2-3X the number of hits as Bonino.

Now we're ditching the skill and going for plain toughness

As DeNiro said, hardly. This team is arguably more skillful now than when Benning took over.

I think we have to look at this summers moves on a case by case basis. Then we can decide if the team has improved or not.

Actually not really. Maybe in baseball, but putting one player on the ice can change the way the others play -- the Sedins with Kassian, for example.

We should see a noticeably grittier team this year, with Sutter, Prust, and Virtanen replacing Bonino, Matthias, and Richardson on the bottom three lines, along with Dorsett and Hansen from last year. Team speed will also be improved.

Burrows is worth +++ more to the Canucks than another team. He's worth every penny. +20g, gritty, hard working, great defensive skills, can play any line and both wings (even C if need be), loyal, shootouts, short handed, character, never gives up.

Hansen has one of the best contracts in the league. +15g, gritty, hard working, great defensive skills, can play on any line, very fast skater, great pk.

Higgins has a good contract. +17g, hard working, great along the boards, great defensive skills, solid team player.

All of these players are good character guys that can pick up the defensive slack when prospects are added to the team.

At the moment, the team does not have any prospects to replace these guys. This is mostly due to the fact that young players usually struggle with playing a 2-way game.

The only one I see leaving is Higgins, but not until later in the season when a prospect has proven they are NHL ready.

Canuck fans need to stop undervaluing these guys.

Higgens would be easy if we wanted to trade a cheap reliable 3rd line vet. We dont for a reason

Yooo tell me who would take on Burrows and Higgins' contracts. Trading players is easier said than done. Didn't you hear what Benning said when they traded Lack? Pretty much every team thought he was a back up goalie hence his value on the market. With Higgins and Burrows' contract they wouldn't fetch for much. Maybe that's why they haven't got traded yet.

We (sort of) added toughness. Though I'm not sure if anyone is afraid of old man Prust or middleweight Dorsett. The problem is, this toughness is added at a point when the team isn't good enough anymore to do anything in the playoffs.

GOOD GOD! Why can't people see what's actually going on here??!!!

It's NOT about 'toughness' that's gonna make opponents 'afraid', and it's NOT about 'toughness' being brought in to make the Canucks a Cup favourite or even a legit contender!! Dorsett and Prust's 'toughness' was brought in to create a new culture of hard work and determination for guys like Horvat and Virtanen to watch and emulate. D & P's similar work ethic will help the entire team play with more confidence, and will rub off on young prospects, whether it be in off season training (Cole Cassels has been working out with Dorsett for 3yrs now), training camp, pre-season, regular season, and playoffs if you can get a ticket to the Dance!

I actually think that Prust is gonna be one and done with the Canucks whether it be him getting dealt at the deadline if the Canucks are out of the playoff picture or as a UFA...I have a feeling he'll pull a 'Vermette' and re-sign with the Habs cause of his fiance, but his hard work and leadership will no doubt help whomever he's able to mentor.

That playoff last yr was frustrating for everyone involved with the Canucks, and they are far from a lock to grab a playoff spot this coming season, but the chemistry Horvat had with Dorsett helped Bo immensely in having the year he did, and just that small taste of the playoffs for a guy like Horvat, who has 'leader' and 'future Captain' written all over him, is gonna do wonders for Bo's determination to get better going forward.

?

You probably don't know what a strong work ethic is but all 3 of them have it. When young players become Canucks they'll look up to them because of how hard they prepare and play.

Archived