The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These changes were long overdue!

RaymondT

I don't understand why people want Burrows traded... Higgins I can understand, but he's a good player on a good contract. Like De Niro said - Vey, Baertschi, and especially Vrbata represent skill. We are adding more sandpaper so those guys can have more freedom to move around and punish defenses. I'm not absolutely sure if Higgins, Vrbata, or Hamhuis are traded.

I'm personally sick of people wanting to trade the likes of Higgins. Players like Higgins and Hansen will show our younger players how to play the right way and act like professionals which will hopefully led them to having long successful careers. I don't want a bunch of young oilers on my team in the near future

I'm personally sick of people wanting to trade the likes of Higgins. Players like Higgins and Hansen will show our younger players how to play the right way and act like professionals which will hopefully led them to having long successful careers. I don't want a bunch of young oilers on my team in the near future

We also need spots opened up for said younger players to play on the team. I for one didn't say trade both, I said one or the other.

I am so f...king sick of hearing Ferland dismantled our entire team. That POS was allowed to run around with a machete practically. Every commentator was commenting on how nearly every one of his hits were beyond borderline.

Frack ferland

You're sick of hearing about it because there's more than a little truth to it. The Canucks simply had no idea of how to deal with him. But it's not like he's unique, everybody has players that step up the physical part of the game come playoff time. Everyone except the Canucks, that is. Benning has seen that and is trying to change that and level the tables in that area. It's an area that can be addressed without having to draft for it.

why is higgins,hansen and Burrows still here? If you are talking about change than make the complete change and how does Prust give us a edge over Ferlund? lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferlund was a non-factor against the Ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defence who get the puck out.

?

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #1: (Capital W)hy ARE Higgins, Hansen, and Burrows still here?

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #2: If you are talking about change thEN make the complete change.

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #3: ...the solution to a guy who charges is A quick defense who CAN get the puck out.

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #4: 'lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferland was a non-factor against the ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defense who get the puck out.' Two things: 1) Just like with the beginning of your post, to begin a sentence, capital letters are required, so it's actually 'Lol'. #2) Mix in a period here and there.

Desiboy Daily Misquote #1: 'How does Prust give us an edge over Ferand?' OP didn't say that.

Desiboy Daily Misquote #2: 'Sutter is not a hitter dude,' OP didn't say that either.

Desiboy posts,...the gifts that keep on giving!

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #1: (Capital W)hy ARE Higgins, Hansen, and Burrows still here?

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #2: If you are talking about change thEN make the complete change.

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #3: ...the solution to a guy who charges is A quick defense who CAN get the puck out.

Desiboy Daily Grammar Check #4: 'lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferland was a non-factor against the ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defense who get the puck out.' Two things: 1) Just like with the beginning of your post, to begin a sentence, capital letters are required, so it's actually 'Lol'. #2) Mix in a period here and there.

Desiboy Daily Misquote #1: 'How does Prust give us an edge over Ferand?' OP didn't say that.

Desiboy Daily Misquote #2: 'Sutter is not a hitter dude,' OP didn't say that either.

Desiboy posts,...the gifts that keep on giving!

Sorry. I'm just really bored.

#dogdays

why is higgins,hansen and Burrows still here? If you are talking about change than make the complete change and how does Prust give us a edge over Ferlund? lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferlund was a non-factor against the Ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defence who get the puck out.

?

Ferlund was a non factor against the Ducks because they didn't allow him to pull that crap on them. The Ducks were also a bigger team.

Hansen... I don't know how anyone can even speak badly about him. The guy has been an undisputed work horse for us over the seasons.

Burr had a pretty decent come back year from injury/tort era

sh**-kickings.... Guy couldn't quite get back into his stride because of it though.

Anyways, yeah let's throw them under the bus too.

Sad.

Hero's in my books.

Well said. Both of these guys are the type of player that we need, they play hard and stick up for themselves as well as their teammates. If Kassian played with heart like these guys, he would still be here and be an asset to the team.

I think we have to look at this summers moves on a case by case basis. Then we can decide if the team has improved or not.

Richardson out - Richardson was a good 4C who can play up to 3C, good leadership and good PK. Vey is getting his chance and the leadership, PK is being made up for by Sutter

Bonino out, Sutter in - Sutter is faster, as good defensively, better on the PK, better at face offs (right handed), a leader (had and A in Pitt)

Kassian out, Prust in - shipping out a problem

Matthias out - was due a big raise (ended up being much less than anybody expected), streaky, inconsistent, let go to make room for Baertschi

Bieksa out, Bartkowski in - Bieksa had lots of character but had lost a step and was exposed by Ferkland in playoffs

Lack out - difficult call, allows for Markstrom promotion

Young players promoted - Baertschi, Corrado, Vey, Markstrom maybe 1 other

Benning wants a team that is fast and is hard to play against. I think that this team is faster. He has also made room for some young players. The move that everybody wanted was Higgins to move along but it seems that his NTC and term remaining (2 years) stopped that from happening. Deployed in his natural 3LW position, he brings some value defensively but he can't stay on the 2nd line. I don't see goal production getting worse overall, it's probably no better this year. Defensive mobility is better since Bieksa and Stanton are gone and Bartkowski and Corrado are in. This was a goal of Bennings for the summer.

Overall, I think that team speed is better. Character, I'm not sure is better with the loss of Bieksa and Ritchardson. The loss of Kassan helps character and the addition of Sutter and Prust helps. In other areas I think they are about the same.

If Higgins moves, I hope that he gets a shot at the SC. He has been a good player but some of the prospects are ready to move up.

We (sort of) added toughness. Though I'm not sure if anyone is afraid of old man Prust or middleweight Dorsett. The problem is, this toughness is added at a point when the team isn't good enough anymore to do anything in the playoffs.

It will allow the prospects to make the jump and not get punched in the face and intimidated. Vey and Baer are two players that I think will benefit from having Prust and Dorsett in the lineup. Both are not all that physical and need to know that someone has their back.

?

Obviously you are listening impaired .quick panicky moves are your solution. Zero forethought. I hate watching Huggens and Hansen above anything 3rd line. I expect younger players to push for their jobs .dam I hope so but if they don't pan out Higgens and Hansen will be there to fill the gap if time. Have sine patience. I'm sure you're not a season ticket holder so it costs you nothing but patience

?

Change doesn't occur completely and instantaneously. If everyone became available simultaneously we would get even less in return. Then there would be something else to complain about.

We (sort of) added toughness. Though I'm not sure if anyone is afraid of old man Prust or middleweight Dorsett. The problem is, this toughness is added at a point when the team isn't good enough anymore to do anything in the playoffs.

Prust was okay against Boston in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Lucic was basically reduced to threatening guys in the handshake line up and I don't remember Marchand slapping anyone around. Who else did the Habs have to make that happen?

Nobody has to be afraid of Prust or Dorsett, they just have to be a deterrent and give their more skilled teammates a little bit of extra backbone. Other than 2011, when has this team been "good enough" to do anything in the playoffs?

Why not change things up a bit and add some character and toughness? We still have a fair amount of skill in the lineup, so what's the problem if we win 3-2 instead of losing 7-4?

Toughness isn't just about dropping the gloves. You want a team that plays through the scrappy play and dishes out the hits tit for tat. In the last few games with Calgary, most of our forwards had their head on a swivel and couldn't complete 3 passes in a row without giving up the puck. Totally off their game! And just like Boston in 2011, you could see the train wreck coming long before they were eliminated.

GOOD GOD! Why can't people see what's actually going on here??!!!

It's NOT about 'toughness' that's gonna make opponents 'afraid', and it's NOT about 'toughness' being brought in to make the Canucks a Cup favourite or even a legit contender!! Dorsett and Prust's 'toughness' was brought in to create a new culture of hard work and determination for guys like Horvat and Virtanen to watch and emulate.

So you want Horvat and Virtanen to model themselves to be 4th line plugs? In the case of Prust, plugs that cry about refs in the playoffs? It's such a stupid argument that you need "character guys" to teach your high end prospects work ethic. The Sedins are the hardest working Canucks and are a good enough example. Same goes for Burrows. There's a reason why Crosby lived with Mario Lemieux when he was drafted and not character guy Brooks Orpik.

I am so f...king sick of hearing Ferland dismantled our entire team. That POS was allowed to run around with a machete practically. Every commentator was commenting on how nearly every one of his hits were beyond borderline.

Frack ferland

Yup, the refs were against the Canucks and letting Ferland run around wildly the entire series. If that was Kassian they would have kicked him out.

Balance between purely skilled players, tough players and gritty hard working players is hard to find. Ideally, your skilled players are tough and gritty too but not everyone has access to a Toews or Getzlaf.

This is why teams like the Flames NEED goons in their lineup, because their top players are tiny and play with no toughness. The Canucks are very similar - the Sedins and Vbrata, as well as Baertschi and Vey, are purely skilled players who bring little toughness to the table.

Benning smartly addressed this problem with more toughness. Higgins, Burrows, Matthias and even Richardson at times simply didn't bring enough toughness and "gooning" to the table, and while they're consistent, good defensive forwards, they didn't do their job in the playoffs.

We have lacked goons since Torres in 2011, and bringing a pest like Prust in along with Dorsett really solidifies that aspect. I wasn't happy about the trade, and I'm sure we could have gotten him for less because Kassian is about to become a real gem, but Benning has gotten the balance right now.

Archived