The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These changes were long overdue!

RaymondT

why is higgins,hansen and Burrows still here? If you are talking about change than make the complete change and how does Prust give us a edge over Ferlund? lol Sutter is not a hitter dude, OMG Ferlund was a non-factor against the Ducks, the solution to a guy who charges is quick defence who get the puck out.

?

A valid point but who would want to take on Higgins and Burrows' salaries? In my opinion that is why they are still here.

Higgins, Hansen and others were on the team and played regular shifts in the playoffs this year...or did they play in the playoffs this year?...come to think about it...I didn't notice them playing against Calgary...

maybe that is why change is required?

However, I did noticed Weber get wall papered against Calgary...he spent majority of the time looking over his shoulder and forgetting to skate...(just like his mentor - Bieksa); yet, he is resigned and still on the team.

However, I did noticed Weber get wall papered against Calgary...he spent majority of the time looking over his shoulder and forgetting to skate...(just like his mentor - Bieksa); yet, he is resigned and still on the team.

Cheap powerplay option.

With nothing much on the farm, they didn't have many options.

Cheap powerplay option.

With nothing much on the farm, they didn't have many options.

Can blame JB for that...overpaying Miller and others...so that there is nothing left in the bank to pay for the player that they really need...and you know what they really need.

We have lacked goons since Torres in 2011, and bringing a pest like Prust in along with Dorsett really solidifies that aspect. I wasn't happy about the trade, and I'm sure we could have gotten him for less because Kassian is about to become a real gem, but Benning has gotten the balance right now.

At least 29 GMs say you're wrong.

Can blame JB for that...overpaying Miller and others...so that there is nothing left in the bank to pay for the player that they really need...and you know what they really need.

I'll take Ehrhoff at 1 mil for a season at this point.

Trade Weber for a 5th round pick.

Yup, the refs were against the Canucks and letting Ferland run around wildly the entire series. If that was Kassian they would have kicked him out.

But his mom was so proud for him! You couldn't ruin a story line like that.

This team played scared versus calgary, which was odd because during the regular season I thought we did quite well in terms of people sticking up for each other. Lets face it, we can get all the toughness at forward, but the fact is our defence is probably the softest in the league.

A playoff forecheck puts pressure on the D to make a quick play AND take a hit while clearing it up ice. Chicago's D took a pounding but they know how to position themselves and their forwards support them. Guys like Weber, Sbisa, Hamuis are very soft in the corners and do not possess the quickness to make a play come playoff time. That is why we are regular season champs and playoff chumps right now. Tanev is our best D man by far right now, he makes the play and knows how to take a hit, the others need to model their games after him.

This team played scared versus calgary, which was odd because during the regular season I thought we did quite well in terms of people sticking up for each other. Lets face it, we can get all the toughness at forward, but the fact is our defence is probably the softest in the league.

A playoff forecheck puts pressure on the D to make a quick play AND take a hit while clearing it up ice. Chicago's D took a pounding but they know how to position themselves and their forwards support them. Guys like Weber, Sbisa, Hamuis are very soft in the corners and do not possess the quickness to make a play come playoff time. That is why we are regular season champs and playoff chumps right now. Tanev is our best D man by far right now, he makes the play and knows how to take a hit, the others need to model their games after him.

I think who you pair them up with is also very important.

I'll take Ehrhoff at 1 mil for a season at this point.

Trade Weber for a 5th round pick.

Younger, faster, stronger...corner stone for years to come...The player can be acquired (just like Hamilton and Meyers were acquired). Some players are sure things and JB needs to go after a sure thing corner stone defenceman...he needs to refer to Winnipeg, Calgary and Chicago on how to get it done. Also, He needs to quite over paying for players who haven't proven anything.

Younger, faster, stronger...corner stone for years to come...The player can be acquired (just like Hamilton and Meyers were acquired). Some players are sure things and JB needs to go after a sure thing corner stone defenceman...he needs to refer to Winnipeg, Calgary and Chicago on how to get it done. Also, He needs to quite over paying for players who haven't proven anything.

Benning seems to do well in terms of obtaining decent forward prospects, but considering he was an NHL d-man, I wonder where he is going with our defence. Not one guy outside of Corrado and Tanev seems worthy of NHL caliber minutes. He must have something up his sleeve when it comes to our defence, unless he is waiting until the 2016 off-season to obtain one.

We (sort of) added toughness. Though I'm not sure if anyone is afraid of old man Prust or middleweight Dorsett. The problem is, this toughness is added at a point when the team isn't good enough anymore to do anything in the playoffs.

Seriously.

As thick as paint. Just doesn't get it.

I have the ultimate one for you:

Why have a team if we're not going to win the Cup.

Really liking this thread guys! Been reading these posts for several years now and have finally decided to get myself info the action!

I'm an older, positive Canucks fan. Have been through the good and the bad with the team. I find CDC (like many) to be very frustrating. But when I read thread like this my hopes are restored.

I'm on board with the changes going on. In house and out. And a few people have mentioned that this up comming season will be Bennings season to really put his stamp on this team. Which is really exciting to me. I agree completely that this could be a monster year for us organizationally! Change is indeed coming.

Player wise, what's not to like in my opinion!? I followed the Utica Comets this year (and yes even paid for the AHL play off package). These kids can play and our leadership group is going to really teach them how to play the right way in the NHL. Sure they all have areas to improve upon, but when you have great mentorship/leadership those flaws are insulated. All in all i'm really excited about our FUTURE Canucks.

I'm no GM, but if you have a vision of what you think will win you not only hockey games but potentially the cup then you need to execute your plan with that vision in mind. Benning and Linden are doing that. Maybe we can't get what they're up to all the time. But it's a nice contrast from Gillis where we always seemed to be playing "money ball" (or puck lol) a little too much. Don't get me wrong, Gillis was a decent GM. But was arrogant, narrow minded, and to me lacked the balls to do what Benning is doing.

All in all I guess my point it. Let the reigns go and enjoy the ride boys. I think we're in for a good one :)

Cheers guys and keep up the good work on all the positive posts. Cause no one likes a cry baby :)

Really liking this thread guys! Been reading these posts for several years now and have finally decided to get myself info the action!

I'm an older, positive Canucks fan. Have been through the good and the bad with the team. I find CDC (like many) to be very frustrating. But when I read thread like this my hopes are restored.

I'm on board with the changes going on. In house and out. And a few people have mentioned that this up comming season will be Bennings season to really put his stamp on this team. Which is really exciting to me. I agree completely that this could be a monster year for us organizationally! Change is indeed coming.

Player wise, what's not to like in my opinion!? I followed the Utica Comets this year (and yes even paid for the AHL play off package). These kids can play and our leadership group is going to really teach them how to play the right way in the NHL. Sure they all have areas to improve upon, but when you have great mentorship/leadership those flaws are insulated. All in all i'm really excited about our FUTURE Canucks.

I'm no GM, but if you have a vision of what you think will win you not only hockey games but potentially the cup then you need to execute your plan with that vision in mind. Benning and Linden are doing that. Maybe we can't get what they're up to all the time. But it's a nice contrast from Gillis where we always seemed to be playing "money ball" (or puck lol) a little too much. Don't get me wrong, Gillis was a decent GM. But was arrogant, narrow minded, and to me lacked the balls to do what Benning is doing.

All in all I guess my point it. Let the reigns go and enjoy the ride boys. I think we're in for a good one :)

Cheers guys and keep up the good work on all the positive posts. Cause no one likes a cry baby :)

Welcome aboard! :)

Solid post sir. Positive fans are always welcome. Don't let these boards taint you though ;)

GOOD GOD! Why can't people see what's actually going on here??!!!

It's NOT about 'toughness' that's gonna make opponents 'afraid', and it's NOT about 'toughness' being brought in to make the Canucks a Cup favourite or even a legit contender!! Dorsett and Prust's 'toughness' was brought in to create a new culture of hard work and determination for guys like Horvat and Virtanen to watch and emulate. D & P's similar work ethic will help the entire team play with more confidence, and will rub off on young prospects, whether it be in off season training (Cole Cassels has been working out with Dorsett for 3yrs now), training camp, pre-season, regular season, and playoffs if you can get a ticket to the Dance!

I actually think that Prust is gonna be one and done with the Canucks whether it be him getting dealt at the deadline if the Canucks are out of the playoff picture or as a UFA...I have a feeling he'll pull a 'Vermette' and re-sign with the Habs cause of his fiance, but his hard work and leadership will no doubt help whomever he's able to mentor.

That playoff last yr was frustrating for everyone involved with the Canucks, and they are far from a lock to grab a playoff spot this coming season, but the chemistry Horvat had with Dorsett helped Bo immensely in having the year he did, and just that small taste of the playoffs for a guy like Horvat, who has 'leader' and 'future Captain' written all over him, is gonna do wonders for Bo's determination to get better going forward.

Cassels has been training with Dorsett for 3 years?...didn't know that.

Horvat...simply made everyone he played with better...Hansen scored a Hattie all off of Bo.

If Willie had played him more in Nov. and Dec. Bo would have been that much better come playoff time.

This year we role 3 lines almost equally unless they break up Prust and Dorsett and roll 4 lines again (top 3 still get more and equal minutes)

Sedins / Vrbata

Baer / Horvat / Virtanen or Burrows

Higgins / Sutter / Hansen or Burrows

Prust / Vey / Dorsett or Hansen

Dorsett and Grenier

To the people who keep asking why Higgins, Hansen and Burrows are still here:

We will keep them till one of our prospects show that they are capable of throwing them off the lineup. So if they impress in camp, they will be shipped out. Don't see who can replace Burrows at this point, but who knows.

Archived