The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These changes were long overdue!

RaymondT

To the people who keep asking why Higgins, Hansen and Burrows are still here:

We will keep them till one of our prospects show that they are capable of throwing them off the lineup. So if they impress in camp, they will be shipped out. Don't see who can replace Burrows at this point, but who knows.

Linden and Benning made reference to players they call "culture carriers". Guys who will pass on to the next generation what it means to be a Canuck.

Burrows is likely one of those said players.

There's been no shortage of criticism over the recent changes but in defense of management, they were necessary..

A half dozen years or so of watching the Canucks get slapped around like little kids when the zebras pocket the whistles in the playoffs have a left a bad taste in everybody's mouths. It's no surprise that Benning and Trevor are finally addressing this festering wound we've had for years.

Watching one wrecking ball by the name of Ferland dismantle the entire team was too painful too watch and really underscored how bad it had gotten. It was like nobody knew how to respond in kind so they wound up in the box with a penalty. It seems the zebra's will let some serious fouls go (charging!) but the slightest retaliation gets a hand in the air.

Thank god were finally addressing this!

I'm sorry, when was all this slapping about taking place?

I saw Danny get slapped about by a player despised throughout the league. Other than that we were quite able to hold our own in nearly every other game, however the refs were sometimes not on the same wavelength but that is sport.

It was injuries that cost us the Cup not the fact Danny was slapped about.

As for Ferland he did not have the kind of influence on the series you and many claim. We were just too weary after an injury plagued season. Some of our players, not even the elite players had sweated blood to fill the void left by injury and they just didn't have any more in the tank.

Don't get me wrong I am glad we are getting bigger and faster but that only means an ability to withstand the rigours of a regular season better and to avoid injury, it has little to do with getting "slapped around like little kids" as you disrespectfully put it.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Won't let CDC get me down, I promise haha!

I'm also going the youngstars tourney this year for my first time. Really excited to see these kids up close. I am very interested to see how this group will perform against the oilers squad. I've been frustrated to no end how the last several years of drafting and development has went. I can already sense/see the culture change. I've always been a big prospects buff, and have always payed close attention to other teams and how they develop their players and even coaching staff. The Utica Comets staff looks like they could be potentially churning out a few NHLers over there. And with our new stable of youngin's heading there this year I may even consider buying that damn expensive AHL season pass lol....maybe. It's such a drastic change of environment compared to the Chicago Wolves years (basically killed any and all development for our kids).

The Manitoba Moose had some great years. I'm hoping to get back to those days and better now that we own our AHL team!!

So you want Horvat and Virtanen to model themselves to be 4th line plugs? In the case of Prust, plugs that cry about refs in the playoffs? It's such a stupid argument that you need "character guys" to teach your high end prospects work ethic. The Sedins are the hardest working Canucks and are a good enough example. Same goes for Burrows. There's a reason why Crosby lived with Mario Lemieux when he was drafted and not character guy Brooks Orpik.

My God. Smh. No! I don't want Horvat and Virtanen to model themselves to BE 4th line plugs. I didn't say that! I'd like them to emulate their ''work ethic'' and ''determination'' to become all around better pros!

And please, enlighten me. Why is it 'such a stupid argument'' that you need character guys to teach your high end prospects work ethic? You think the Sedins didn't learn anything from Trent Klatt with regards to working hard to be a pro?

And quite frankly, with regards to the Twins, yes, they work hard, at what THEY do! And no, Horvat and Virtanen will never actually be able to emulate what the Twins do. They're completely different players.

But that's actually a very good thing. Both Horvat and Virtanen can actually skate with purpose, they can actually take the puck hard to the net, and they actually go to the dirty areas to score. And when they DON'T have the puck, they both forecheck hard, they go to the front of the net for screens, they crash the crease and they use what THEY have,..a nose for the net. In fact,the LAST thing I want is Horvat and Virtanen, come playoff time, playing a completely perimeter game, and when it doesn't work then revert (back) to a silly cycle game that every good playoff team now has the book on how to stop it, and then display absolutely no push back when the going gets REALLY tough.

Good post James. I agree with a lot of what you said. Ultimately I think Benning will decide what to do with Higgins and/or Hansen dependent on training camp and pre season. A wily vet like Higgins would provide a team looking to make a run come trade deadline and personally I think that's when he'll be moved.

On paper, I really like the mix of our team. People saying we don't have enough secondary scoring need to simply look at the numbers that these players consistently put up. Higgins is a 40 point player, Hansen 30-35, Sutter 30-35. Horvat SHOULD continue his upward trend, assuming he doesn't have a case of the sophomore blues. Baertschi is the biggest question mark to me.

If our grinders can chip in on a consistent basis there's no reason we can't compete for a playoff spot. To the people making this continuous complaint, I'm not sure what you want.

Don't trade top prospects - check

Get grittier and harder to play against - check

Fix 3 goaltender situation - check

Out with aging assets - check

Provide depth - check

The ONLY thing Benning hasn't gone after need-wise yet is defence. We now have a plethora of solid veterans and pretty good forward prospects. Look to him to make some changes this season in that area again, as he continues to assess the team throughout the season.

I've said multiple times so far, this trade deadline and 2016 draft will be where Benning really puts his mark on this team for better or worse. Until then, I'll analyze and critique his moves like everyone else but my judgement is reserved until next summer.

Oh, my yes!

I mean, as also suggested, Bartkowski & Corrado are going to be more mobile than Bieksa and Stanton.

But we're also missing two extremely key components;

- Size!

- A D man who cannot be defended when he has the puck!

Size first on D. Our left side > Edler 215 lbs, Hamhuis, 209 lbs, Sbisa 198 but plays bigger & Bartkowski 198 lbs is fine. But no strategic advantage. Our right side is a concern > Tanev > 185 lbs, Weber a plays small 200 lbs, Corrado 190 lbs. Corrado handles himself ok. That's definitely a few fries short of a happy meal! Especially considering no playing partner on the left is BIG.

Even with Edler / Tanev out there > Getzlaf, Perry Maroon is going to average 25 lbs heavier than either guy? Lucic / Kopitar / Brown is even bigger. And tell me who is going to move Lucic from in front of the net? San Jose & even Arizona can ice lines like this, so can St Louis. Point blank we need a big bodied D man who can skate!

Puck handling second as it relates to pressure. Sure Bartkowski, like Tanev, can out skate most guys to a puck & make a good first pass. That makes Bartkowski a great 3rd pairing guy. If he had a big guy to play with? What a bout when teams, see Jersey, Wash, even Calgary, but also LA trap in the neutral zone? That ''first pass'' is taken a way. And Dustin Brown or David Jones is still screaming in on you to check. That's where Sbisa kacks it. You need at least one guy who can blow past a fore-checker, without coughing up the puck, & scream up ice. Drawing the trap which creates a passing angle that was not there. Or just bursting up ice as the trap gets caught flat footed.

Puck handling in the offensive zone is the other part of the component. Crap, although Edler can shoot & Corrado is not bad either, that aside all we did was rotate the puck across to the other point or around the boards. We need a guy who can dangle and dance a guy who comes to pressure him at the point. Jump into the slot past his man and draw everyone who is trying to man up against our wingers. Who then become open or can drive the net for rebounds. If our attacking D pops a shot through. Which has a much higher % chance of scoring from 30 feet closer. And with bodies collapsing & criss crossing in front of the goalie. Or drop it back to Edler who does have a bomb! We absolutely fracking need a D man who has speed and is dangerous with the puck.

Maybe one day it will be Subban? I was hoping that Clendenning might be the guy? I was happy we tried that experiment. I guess he wasn't quite fast enough > but we have to keep acquiring guys with puck skills until a guy works out. Russell was stuck behind Pierangelo & Shattenkirk. There are guys out there under the surface. Who on their own are ordinary, but with a Hamhuis could have reign to start exploring the slot and lanes in the neutral zone. I wish we had plucked Gardiner out of Toronto or Leddy out of Chicago. Each was rumoured at one point. Or had bloody well drafted Theodore instead of Shinkaruk. Severson (yes I called for him on draft day) or Pelech instead of Mallet. I like Boeser, better than I did Shinkaruks selection, but think we were too far behind the 8 ball to have waited till the 3rd round to draft a D.

In any case > we will never be on track for our ''rebuild'' until we put some size and puck skill on to our D roster!

GOOD GOD! Why can't people see what's actually going on here??!!!

It's NOT about 'toughness' that's gonna make opponents 'afraid', and it's NOT about 'toughness' being brought in to make the Canucks a Cup favourite or even a legit contender!! Dorsett and Prust's 'toughness' was brought in to create a new culture of hard work and determination for guys like Horvat and Virtanen to watch and emulate. D & P's similar work ethic will help the entire team play with more confidence, and will rub off on young prospects, whether it be in off season training (Cole Cassels has been working out with Dorsett for 3yrs now), training camp, pre-season, regular season, and playoffs if you can get a ticket to the Dance!

Look > Benning as much as said, in fact said straight out, that part of the reason Prust is here, Dorsett is here is to "provide a safe environment for our young players."

But there is no doubt watching Dorsett, a marginal talent hounding the puck & wreaking havoc every shift, would have to have an impact on Virtanen. Even more important on a Gaunce, or Grenier. It is about letting a Baertschi play without being intimidated. But its also about, as you are alluding, the work ethic of being a pro. The spirit of putting our badge & the team in front of your ego.

Bleeding for the team!

Oh, my yes!

I mean, as also suggested, Bartkowski & Corrado are going to be more mobile than Bieksa and Stanton.

But we're also missing two extremely key components;

- Size!

- A D man who cannot be defended when he has the puck!

Size first on D. Our left side > Edler 215 lbs, Hamhuis, 209 lbs, Sbisa 198 but plays bigger & Bartkowski 198 lbs is fine. But no strategic advantage. Our right side is a concern > Tanev > 185 lbs, Weber a plays small 200 lbs, Corrado 190 lbs. Corrado handles himself ok. That's definitely a few fries short of a happy meal! Especially considering no playing partner on the left is BIG.

Even with Edler / Tanev out there > Getzlaf, Perry Maroon is going to average 25 lbs heavier than either guy? Lucic / Kopitar / Brown is even bigger. And tell me who is going to move Lucic from in front of the net? San Jose & even Arizona can ice lines like this, so can St Louis. Point blank we need a big bodied D man who can skate!

Puck handling second as it relates to pressure. Sure Bartkowski, like Tanev, can out skate most guys to a puck & make a good first pass. That makes Bartkowski a great 3rd pairing guy. If he had a big guy to play with? What a bout when teams, see Jersey, Wash, even Calgary, but also LA trap in the neutral zone? That ''first pass'' is taken a way. And Dustin Brown or David Jones is still screaming in on you to check. That's where Sbisa kacks it. You need at least one guy who can blow past a fore-checker, without coughing up the puck, & scream up ice. Drawing the trap which creates a passing angle that was not there. Or just bursting up ice as the trap gets caught flat footed.

Puck handling in the offensive zone is the other part of the component. Crap, although Edler can shoot & Corrado is not bad either, that aside all we did was rotate the puck across to the other point or around the boards. We need a guy who can dangle and dance a guy who comes to pressure him at the point. Jump into the slot past his man and draw everyone who is trying to man up against our wingers. Who then become open or can drive the net for rebounds. If our attacking D pops a shot through. Which has a much higher % chance of scoring from 30 feet closer. And with bodies collapsing & criss crossing in front of the goalie. Or drop it back to Edler who does have a bomb! We absolutely fracking need a D man who has speed and is dangerous with the puck.

Maybe one day it will be Subban? I was hoping that Clendenning might be the guy? I was happy we tried that experiment. I guess he wasn't quite fast enough > but we have to keep acquiring guys with puck skills until a guy works out. Russell was stuck behind Pierangelo & Shattenkirk. There are guys out there under the surface. Who on their own are ordinary, but with a Hamhuis could have reign to start exploring the slot and lanes in the neutral zone. I wish we had plucked Gardiner out of Toronto or Leddy out of Chicago. Each was rumoured at one point. Or had bloody well drafted Theodore instead of Shinkaruk. Severson (yes I called for him on draft day) or Pelech instead of Mallet. I like Boeser, better than I did Shinkaruks selection, but think we were too far behind the 8 ball to have waited till the 3rd round to draft a D.

In any case > we will never be on track for our ''rebuild'' until we put some size and puck skill on to our D roster!

Look > Benning as much as said, in fact said straight out, that part of the reason Prust is here, Dorsett is here is to "provide a safe environment for our young players."

But there is no doubt watching Dorsett, a marginal talent hounding the puck & wreaking havoc every shift, would have to have an impact on Virtanen. Even more important on a Gaunce, or Grenier. It is about letting a Baertschi play without being intimidated. But its also about, as you are alluding, the work ethic of being a pro. The spirit of putting our badge & the team in front of your ego.

Bleeding for the team!

Tanev will be keeping Lucic in the penalty box by taking the puck away and causing Lucic to lose his easily lost temper.

Mobility was the problem for the D., maybe still is we'll see but if Eddie can keep the mistakes down like he did last year as well as hit some people, like he used to do...we may be alright.

Hoping Hutton hears a who...

**Canuck Surfer**Shady1**

Yes, I put the above improvements on D ahead of the succession for the first line.

Benning did well by improving speed across the whole team and on D more importantly. Clendening (according to Pierre McGuire) has lateral movement and pivoting issues. His comments may have just been brown nosing but I haven't seen Clendening enough to know. Same criticism as for Fransen. I really wanted to see the addition of a physical 215+ lb defenseman who could skate.

Overall, I think that Benning has made incremental improvements in the right direction this summer. Prospects are one year older and one year closer but I'm not sure how much ice time a 13th or 14th forward will see. However, I'm still holding my breath a little on D because I think they need a little more that they have now and there is nobody in the pipeline who projects to be undefendable (as CS says).

I think we have to look at this summers moves on a case by case basis. Then we can decide if the team has improved or not.

Richardson out - Richardson was a good 4C who can play up to 3C, good leadership and good PK. Vey is getting his chance and the leadership, PK is being made up for by Sutter

Bonino out, Sutter in - Sutter is faster, as good defensively, better on the PK, better at face offs (right handed), a leader (had and A in Pitt)

Kassian out, Prust in - shipping out a problem

Matthias out - was due a big raise (ended up being much less than anybody expected), streaky, inconsistent, let go to make room for Baertschi

Bieksa out, Bartkowski in - Bieksa had lots of character but had lost a step and was exposed by Ferkland in playoffs

Lack out - difficult call, allows for Markstrom promotion

Young players promoted - Baertschi, Corrado, Vey, Markstrom maybe 1 other

Benning wants a team that is fast and is hard to play against. I think that this team is faster. He has also made room for some young players. The move that everybody wanted was Higgins to move along but it seems that his NTC and term remaining (2 years) stopped that from happening. Deployed in his natural 3LW position, he brings some value defensively but he can't stay on the 2nd line. I don't see goal production getting worse overall, it's probably no better this year. Defensive mobility is better since Bieksa and Stanton are gone and Bartkowski and Corrado are in. This was a goal of Bennings for the summer.

Overall, I think that team speed is better. Character, I'm not sure is better with the loss of Bieksa and Ritchardson. The loss of Kassan helps character and the addition of Sutter and Prust helps. In other areas I think they are about the same.

Fresh air in what can be a frustrating experience reading CDC posts. Excellent analysis of what has occurred this summer with the team and for the most part I agree with most of what you have said. Higgins also offers depth if somebody is injured he can slide up and down without negatively affecting that line (ie versatile).

Losing Bieksa and his spirit/team player hurt the most IMO but his downward cycle play and injury proneness are also gone. Kassian needed to go IMO and Prust replaces him equally with is added toughness and work ethic (which will push the team more than Kassian ever offered).

Sutter definite improvement over Bonino - adds size, PK, face off and speed.

The culture had changed for the better IMO and Benning and CO are driving the bus in the right direction, maybe not fast but last years additions are what give this team a good shot and making the playoffs (Miller and Vrbata) and this years additions support that further and definitely make the playoff version of this team more competitive and harder to play against.

There's been no shortage of criticism over the recent changes but in defense of management, they were necessary..

A half dozen years or so of watching the Canucks get slapped around like little kids when the zebras pocket the whistles in the playoffs have a left a bad taste in everybody's mouths. It's no surprise that Benning and Trevor are finally addressing this festering wound we've had for years.

Watching one wrecking ball by the name of Ferland dismantle the entire team was too painful too watch and really underscored how bad it had gotten. It was like nobody knew how to respond in kind so they wound up in the box with a penalty. It seems the zebra's will let some serious fouls go (charging!) but the slightest retaliation gets a hand in the air.

While agree with our premise, I do not agree with your conclusion.

You say Ferland dismantled the whole team and I agree.

You say the Refs call retaliation, and that is common knowledge.

You don't quite come out and say it, but I think you mean that the addition of Prust and Sutter will mean the Canucks will now start to initiate aggressive play. I agree that Sutter should be able to initiate hits, but players like Prust and Dorsett are easily neutralised by the refs, just as Raffi Torres and Aaron Rome were before them. Ferland was not a factor against Anahiem.

As I recall Ferland was factor until game 4 when Bieksa tuned him in, and games 5-6 were won by the Flames young stars.

If Vancouver plays next year with a second line of Beartchi Sutter Vrbata, that line is not tougher than was Raymond Kesler Samuelson from back in 2010-11. Until the Canucks start putting rugged players in the top six there is little hope for this team in the playoffs. If Horvat and Virtanan make it into the top six then the transition will have started.

I'm sorry, when was all this slapping about taking place?

I saw Danny get slapped about by a player despised throughout the league. Other than that we were quite able to hold our own in nearly every other game, however the refs were sometimes not on the same wavelength but that is sport.

It was injuries that cost us the Cup not the fact Danny was slapped about.

As for Ferland he did not have the kind of influence on the series you and many claim. We were just too weary after an injury plagued season. Some of our players, not even the elite players had sweated blood to fill the void left by injury and they just didn't have any more in the tank.

Don't get me wrong I am glad we are getting bigger and faster but that only means an ability to withstand the rigours of a regular season better and to avoid injury, it has little to do with getting "slapped around like little kids" as you disrespectfully put it.

Not sure if I smell troll or visually impaired.

You don't quite come out and say it, but I think you mean that the addition of Prust and Sutter will mean the Canucks will now start to initiate aggressive play. I agree that Sutter should be able to initiate hits, but players like Prust and Dorsett are easily neutralised by the refs, just as Raffi Torres and Aaron Rome were before them. Ferland was not a factor against Anahiem.

As I recall Ferland was factor until game 4 when Bieksa tuned him in, and games 5-6 were won by the Flames young stars.

If Vancouver plays next year with a second line of Beartchi Sutter Vrbata, that line is not tougher than was Raymond Kesler Samuelson from back in 2010-11. Until the Canucks start putting rugged players in the top six there is little hope for this team in the playoffs. If Horvat and Virtanan make it into the top six then the transition will have started.

Prust and Dorsett don't have to take penalties, just play with an edge. Get in the other players grill when things get hot. Its like the Canucks forgot you are allowed to bodycheck the guy with the puck or anytime up to a 3 count after he passes (well, 5 count if you have Ferland printed on your jersey). I was kind of disappointed that Edler didn't step it up a wee bit.

And Bieksa didn't intimidate Ferland. By the time the Canucks started game 5, they had already lost it. Ferland was Calgary's playoff hero by then.

Benning seems to do well in terms of obtaining decent forward prospects, but considering he was an NHL d-man, I wonder where he is going with our defence. Not one guy outside of Corrado and Tanev seems worthy of NHL caliber minutes. He must have something up his sleeve when it comes to our defence, unless he is waiting until the 2016 off-season to obtain one.

You must be joking right? Edler and Hamhuis are not legit NHL-caliber defencemen and behind Corrado?

I agree with comments about Higgins and Hansen. I am not sure why so many CDC posters are negative about them. I agree that neither one is a legitimate top 6 forward. But they are both excellent bottom 6 forwards. They are both excellent defensively, can play shutdown, are very good on the PK, are very consistent in terms of effort. They can be streaky with scoring, as is true of pretty much everyone except very high end offensive players. ANd they provide significant secondary scoring. They are not big but they are not small either and they contribute to the physical game. Hansen is the best skater on the team and Higgins is a decent skater.

They were both very important in the Cup run of 2011 and their play is very similar now to what is was then, although Higgins is at the age where we might expect age-related decline to begin.

Their cap hits of $2.5 million are very reasonable. By any actual measure of performance they are considerably better than Prust and Dorsett who are getting the same salaries. And they are bargains compared to what Sbisa is being paid or what Sutter is about to get.

If they Canucks traded them now for 2nd or 3rd round picks and used young players instead, the team would not do as well this year. That might be the best long run strategy for rebuilding the team, but it is unreasonable to keep dumping on Higgins and Hansen. And I think Hansen was important is helping Horvat develop last year.

To put things in perspective here are the NHL career scoring rates for these players in points per game (PPG) followed by their cap hits:

Higgins: 0.49 (2.5)

Sutter: 0,41 (3.5 about to go to 4.4 according to Elliotte Friedman)

Hansen: 0.39 (2.5)

Prust: 0.24 (2.5)

Dorsett: 0.24 (2.65)

And Hansen and Higgins are both excellent defensive forwards and hard workers as well, and are good team-mates.

I am not saying I would happy with playing them in the top 6. I am saying that they deserve a lot more respect than they have been getting from a lot of fans and media. Put them with Horvat or Sutter and that would be an excellent shut-down third line -- like when they played with Malhotra in the 2011 Cup run.

Nice posts, JamesB and SlimShady.

I don't get why some carry the pitchforks when it comes to Higgy and Hansen. Both come in at nice cap hits and both can play in all situations, though neither are going to set the world on fire on the PP.

Higgins' and Hansen's numbers from 2014-2015 were consistent with their career totals and this past season was especially a tough year for players to post points.

The only knocks that can be made on Higgins and Hansen is that they are at that point in their careers that younger/cheaper options look appealing compared to them, until one realizes that the younger/cheaper options aren't ready for the NHL just yet, all the while Higgins and Hansen are proven NHLers, though they are prone to go through a couple of goal-less droughts over a course of a season. In today's NHL, who doesn't go through stretches where production is hard to come by?

Higgy and Hansen on a line with either Horvat or Sutter is going to be solid. Some nights they are going to look like the second line...others the third...and occasionally, the fourth. Plus, both will be solid on the PK.

That's when he tore his oblique muscle... that probably explains why he became a non factor more than anything else.

Prust and Dorsett don't have to take penalties, just play with an edge. Get in the other players grill when things get hot. Its like the Canucks forgot you are allowed to bodycheck the guy with the puck or anytime up to a 3 count after he passes (well, 5 count if you have Ferland printed on your jersey). I was kind of disappointed that Edler didn't step it up a wee bit.

And Bieksa didn't intimidate Ferland. By the time the Canucks started game 5, they had already lost it. Ferland was Calgary's playoff hero by then.

How do you say that though?

Dorsett and Prust were #2 and #3 in fights last year, and #3 and #6 in penalty minutes.

It seems that they do take penalties and between the two of them they had more fights than any 2 players in the league.

The OP is exactly right.

Hansen's a hard working, fast player who can play with a physical edge. What Burrows lacks in speed and hitting he makes up with excellent hockey sense, net presence and penalty killing. Higgins has decent skills and penalty killing but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's sick of him skating by an easy hit or dumping the puck to avoid one.

How does dumping Kassian, Mathias and Bonino (3 underachieving players) have anything to do with elite skill? We didn't trade the Sedins or Vrbata. Doesn't take a genius to understand Benning wont tolerate players floating or a lack of physical play. If you believe gm's can just pick up elite players at a whim, go back to your Xbox.

Stats are handy but mostly used by guys that don't see the obvious flaws in character.

**Canuck Surfer**Shady1**

Yes, I put the above improvements on D ahead of the succession for the first line.

Benning did well by improving speed across the whole team and on D more importantly. Clendening (according to Pierre McGuire) has lateral movement and pivoting issues. His comments may have just been brown nosing but I haven't seen Clendening enough to know. Same criticism as for Fransen. I really wanted to see the addition of a physical 215+ lb defenseman who could skate.

Overall, I think that Benning has made incremental improvements in the right direction this summer. Prospects are one year older and one year closer but I'm not sure how much ice time a 13th or 14th forward will see. However, I'm still holding my breath a little on D because I think they need a little more that they have now and there is nobody in the pipeline who projects to be undefendable (as CS says).

Shady 1? :huh:

Archived