The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These changes were long overdue!

RaymondT

I just want someone on defense who knows how to box out the front of the net, how not to screen our goalies, and knows that clearing the crease does not mean cross-checking forwards into your goalie on every scrum around the crease (I'm looking at you Edler).

Really worried that our goalies wont be able to stay healthy with how our defense is looking right now.

I just want someone on defense who knows how to box out the front of the net, how not to screen our goalies, and knows that clearing the crease does not mean cross-checking forwards into your goalie on every scrum around the crease (I'm looking at you Edler).

Really worried that our goalies wont be able to stay healthy with how our defense is looking right now.

Sign Tryamkin for a few rubles and Big Mac's, dress him as a 7th, and give him a stick made out of steel. Problem solved... :P

Shady 1? :huh:

Got the name wrong :P I was responding to you and the post you were responding to from ThaShady1. They're both long so I didn't use the quote option.

A thought that I've had since, I'll run by you about acquiring D.

I think that Benning is much more likely to trade for a stud D than to draft him. Here's why. Benning has called Sutter, age 26 a foundational player. A year older than Tanev, 4 years older than Baertschi, and 6+ years older than most of the players considered to be central to the rebuild. This boosts the median age of the players in the rebuild and moves it up a few years in time. Since D take longer to develop, I think he trades for one. When is the question. After one more draft or at the deadline is my best guess.

Which Sedin was it who said they might get another shot at a cup in the last year of their contract?

This team played scared versus calgary, which was odd because during the regular season I thought we did quite well in terms of people sticking up for each other. Lets face it, we can get all the toughness at forward, but the fact is our defence is probably the softest in the league.

A playoff forecheck puts pressure on the D to make a quick play AND take a hit while clearing it up ice. Chicago's D took a pounding but they know how to position themselves and their forwards support them. Guys like Weber, Sbisa, Hamuis are very soft in the corners and do not possess the quickness to make a play come playoff time. That is why we are regular season champs and playoff chumps right now. Tanev is our best D man by far right now, he makes the play and knows how to take a hit, the others need to model their games after him.

The Canucks defense has no skill, size or speed. Boston and LA Stanley Cup teams had the size and some skilled defensemen.

Chicago has the big three. Dallas has huge defensemen in their prospect system. We are the hobbits of the west.

Benning had a chance to trade for one of Pittsburgh surplus defensemen - Simon Despres.-6'4",214 lbs The Ducks got him.

We need a few like him: size, skates, hits, point producer. He will be a top 4 D for the Ducks for years.

The Canucks defense has no skill, size or speed. Boston and LA Stanley Cup teams had the size and some skilled defensemen.

Chicago has the big three. Dallas has huge defensemen in their prospect system. We are the hobbits of the west.

Benning had a chance to trade for one of Pittsburgh surplus defensemen - Simon Despres.-6'4",214 lbs The Ducks got him.

We need a few like him: size, skates, hits, point producer. He will be a top 4 D for the Ducks for years.

Beyond the Tanev, Edler pairing, the rest can all be replaced, none of them are part of a backend that's going to take us anywhere.

Got the name wrong :P I was responding to you and the post you were responding to from ThaShady1. They're both long so I didn't use the quote option.

A thought that I've had since, I'll run by you about acquiring D.

I think that Benning is much more likely to trade for a stud D than to draft him. Here's why. Benning has called Sutter, age 26 a foundational player. A year older than Tanev, 4 years older than Baertschi, and 6+ years older than most of the players considered to be central to the rebuild. This boosts the median age of the players in the rebuild and moves it up a few years in time. Since D take longer to develop, I think he trades for one. When is the question. After one more draft or at the deadline is my best guess.

Which Sedin was it who said they might get another shot at a cup in the last year of their contract?

Well, to answer your question? We did have a void. From 2007 to 2011 we effectively had no NHL'ers by draft. So you are right. Benning is trying to acquire players who fit so we don't have to fit a gaping chasm before the Twins retire. Sutter effectively buys Horvat, or McCann, or some soon to be acquired prospect time to develop into Hanks replacement. We're getting close to have solid groups in goal and at forward.

I like the Sutter acquisition!

It still, as agreed, leaves us with issues on D. We need more than 1 guy IMO. Before Oct 2016 my own suggestion is to add a layer of quality D at three levels;

- Add at least one top legit 4 established NHL D. Bartkowski is meh. Prob July 1 2016 UFA. Is Seabrook possible?

- The real key; at least one top end advanced talent via trade. Depres would have been good as an example. 19, 20, 21 YO

- Draft an 18 year old blue chip guy in the first round. Not a guy who has to grow 6 inches, or has skill but cant skate. Blue Chip!

It may happen in a different route than suggested just above? Calgary got Hamilton by trade. Boston got Chara by UFA. But the above seems the most likely. A Hamilton acquisition only changes hands once every ten years, among 30 teams. If we rely on a trade for one cure all D > he's going to be costly (imagine the cost to get Shea Weber) and create holes elsewhere.

But if we add in layers we have a succession plan of guys arriving when contracts are expiring.

Then you can trade vets for draft picks for ongoing success instead of panic role filling.

Or just sucking!

Tanev will be keeping Lucic in the penalty box by taking the puck away and causing Lucic to lose his easily lost temper.

Mobility was the problem for the D., maybe still is we'll see but if Eddie can keep the mistakes down like he did last year as well as hit some people, like he used to do...we may be alright.

Hoping Hutton hears a who...

Tanev's strong suit is beating a guy like Lucic, who is not fast, and getting it out of the zone fast. That's the ideal case. And in this case there is no issue.

But Lucic, in my guess, will play with Brown and Kopitar. They are fast! And all huge. They will get to some pucks, and Kopitar has the skill to carry it in. Once LA sets up, Tanev starts playing passing lanes, and blocking shots. He manages to be effective but there is only so much when you are physically so seriously outmatched. There is no way in hell he is stripping Lucic of the puck or clearing him from in front of the net.

Your dreaming.

So you want Horvat and Virtanen to model themselves to be 4th line plugs? In the case of Prust, plugs that cry about refs in the playoffs? It's such a stupid argument that you need "character guys" to teach your high end prospects work ethic. The Sedins are the hardest working Canucks and are a good enough example. Same goes for Burrows. There's a reason why Crosby lived with Mario Lemieux when he was drafted and not character guy Brooks Orpik.

Exactly!! Our high end prospects to nkt need Dorsett and Prust to help their development. I'm not saying that mentors are not important but the Sedins and Burrows are much better mentors than 4th liners because they actually have SKILL.

Also nice username... rugby is my favorite sport

Mentorship is about learning how to be a pro. When to sleep, how and when to eat, how to train in the offseason and during the season. It's less about what happens on the ice than off the ice. A lot of these kids have more money than they know what to do with even at the league minimum and they don't even know how to do the laundry or shop for groceries. They meet a gold digger girl at some club and get led astray. It takes a mature, likeable and self assured vet to be a friend to these kids. Somebody who is not their dad but who they respect. You can't have enough of them on the team because 2 or 3 guys can't do it all and there is every personality type on a team. People respect the Sedins for example but not everybody will be a friend.

Having a person like this helps everybody in their life. Learning what it takes and how to be a man is an important thing. Without a mentor it can take a person well into their 30's to get it. Some never do. A hockey player can waste a career because pro careers are very short on average 5-6 seasons and half play less than 100 games. A pro athlete these days can't afford to mess up because the money is so good and the competition is so high. One season that goes off the rails for these guys could mean the end of their career regardless of talent.

I think we have to look at this summers moves on a case by case basis. Then we can decide if the team has improved or not.

Richardson out - Richardson was a good 4C who can play up to 3C, good leadership and good PK. Vey is getting his chance and the leadership, PK is being made up for by Sutter

Bonino out, Sutter in - Sutter is faster, as good defensively, better on the PK, better at face offs (right handed), a leader (had and A in Pitt)

Kassian out, Prust in - shipping out a problem

Matthias out - was due a big raise (ended up being much less than anybody expected), streaky, inconsistent, let go to make room for Baertschi

Bieksa out, Bartkowski in - Bieksa had lots of character but had lost a step and was exposed by Ferkland in playoffs

Lack out - difficult call, allows for Markstrom promotion

Young players promoted - Baertschi, Corrado, Vey, Markstrom maybe 1 other

Benning wants a team that is fast and is hard to play against. I think that this team is faster. He has also made room for some young players. The move that everybody wanted was Higgins to move along but it seems that his NTC and term remaining (2 years) stopped that from happening. Deployed in his natural 3LW position, he brings some value defensively but he can't stay on the 2nd line. I don't see goal production getting worse overall, it's probably no better this year. Defensive mobility is better since Bieksa and Stanton are gone and Bartkowski and Corrado are in. This was a goal of Bennings for the summer.

Overall, I think that team speed is better. Character, I'm not sure is better with the loss of Bieksa and Ritchardson. The loss of Kassan helps character and the addition of Sutter and Prust helps. In other areas I think they are about the same.

Kassian was an awesome character. Like a little kid in a over sized man's body. Plus the best hair in the league. I wish he didn't get shipped out obviously not knowing any other issues I thought he was gold and enjoyed watching him play. Plus he alone intimidated the entire oilers team when we played them and as they get better that will be missed.

Mentorship is about learning how to be a pro. When to sleep, how and when to eat, how to train in the offseason and during the season. It's less about what happens on the ice than off the ice. A lot of these kids have more money than they know what to do with even at the league minimum and they don't even know how to do the laundry or shop for groceries. They meet a gold digger girl at some club and get led astray. It takes a mature, likeable and self assured vet to be a friend to these kids. Somebody who is not their dad but who they respect. You can't have enough of them on the team because 2 or 3 guys can't do it all and there is every personality type on a team. People respect the Sedins for example but not everybody will be a friend.

Having a person like this helps everybody in their life. Learning what it takes and how to be a man is an important thing. Without a mentor it can take a person well into their 30's to get it. Some never do. A hockey player can waste a career because pro careers are very short on average 5-6 seasons and half play less than 100 games. A pro athlete these days can't afford to mess up because the money is so good and the competition is so high. One season that goes off the rails for these guys could mean the end of their career regardless of talent.

It's great to read a post from somebody who actually gets it. Too many posters think that these young men are machines.

Life gets in the way, all too often, so yes, it's great to have a few role models on the team.

I agree, a big nasty stay at home guy that can move the puck, are we dreaming?

I agree, a big nasty stay at home guy that can move the puck, are we dreaming?

I see three main paths to get there:

- tank and draft one in early 1st round this year. A lot would have to happen for this occur. Would be hard to bottom out worse than teams like Arizona.

- trade similar to the Sutter trade. Trade an established player in that position, and two futures to get a good upgrade (ie: Tanev, McCann, 3rd)

- trade similar to Dougie Hamilton and Griffin Reinhart trades. Stockpile enough prospect value to fill forward and depth D positions then trade 1sts and 2nds for a top D. Best to do this when prospect pool is deep enough so that team isn't screwed like when Leafs traded for Kessel.

While the UFA market has dried up, the RFA threat of offer sheet and cap crunches makes great players available pretty quickly. It's likely we would trade our way to get a top D while it seems like its easy to find good forwards later in the draft order to fill out the rest of the roster and use in trades.

Well said sir! I couldn't agree more. I think people get way to caught up in the statistics of things and forget that there IS still a person behind all that. The great mentorship we have with this team is a huge asset and is completely being over looked by a lot of people. Sure this may not equate to a cup this year. But you couldn't ask for a better environment for our kids to "grow up" in.

Cheers!

- trade similar to Dougie Hamilton and Griffin Reinhart trades. Stockpile enough prospect value to fill forward and depth D positions then trade 1sts and 2nds for a top D. Best to do this when prospect pool is deep enough so that team isn't screwed like when Leafs traded for Kessel.

While the UFA market has dried up, the RFA threat of offer sheet and cap crunches makes great players available pretty quickly. It's likely we would trade our way to get a top D while it seems like its easy to find good forwards later in the draft order to fill out the rest of the roster and use in trades.

Losing Tanev would be a mistake imo but i get the return value. An established top Dman would stabilize our backend as they rebuild the forward lines, but a great prospect for many years might be a better idea. Does Chara have a son?

Losing Tanev would be a mistake imo but i get the return value. An established top Dman would stabilize our backend as they rebuild the forward lines, but a great prospect for many years might be a better idea. Does Chara have a son?

Ya I think he does..I think his name is Nikita Tryamkin...lol...ehhh, one can wish and hope right!?

Archived