The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MLB Team in Vancouver?(Discussion)

MaxieMan98

I came across this blog from the province and had to get CDC's valued opinion.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/07/27/the-morning-skate-blue-jays-fans-swarm-seattle-so-could-mlb-in-vancouver-work-plus-winning-whitecaps-and-more/

After reading this a couple things came to mind. The first being would you support at team in Vancouver? I am torn to answer this because I definitely feel like I would follow a team in Vancouver, but if they were to play my beloved Yankees I think I would still root for the Bronx bombers. That is just me but I feel like it would bode the same way for many baseball fans in this city.

Hypothetically speaking,Where would we play? BC place? What happened to that piece of land by waterfront where there was supposed to be the new whitecaps stadium, is that a possible location? Would this project be too much of a burden on taxpayers?

I would agree that sports fans in Vancouver are very much fair weather fans to a point. And that point is the price of a ticket for a sporting event in vI'm probably not going to shell out 200 bucks to watch the Canucks vs Edmonton on a Tuesday in April when both teams are out of the playoff picture. It's just not worth it. Now if the prices were fairly reasonable I would probably go to more than a few a year.

I hope this creates some interesting discussion

Need a new stadium. There's no room in downtown for it I assume.

I do think there's an interest, but it's probably in the range of 25k-30k.

I assume MLB is happy with making money from the Vancouver market by us going down to Seattle and watching the jays broadcasts.

Better options for expansion if they want.

I made this for discussion, so would you mind elaborating a little bit?

I played Baseball my entire life. I just dont ever seeing it taking off anywhere but Toronto. I dont have much to base it off of other than my own opinion. Soccer Basketball are both bigger than Baseball in Canada and we got enough trouble supporting that. Plus our $ stinks.

Need a new stadium. There's no room in downtown for it I assume.

I do think there's an interest, but it's probably in the range of 25k-30k.

I assume MLB is happy with making money from the Vancouver market by us going down to Seattle and watching the jays broadcasts.

Better options for expansion if they want.

Sestito with the knock-out punch on most of the reasons why Vancouver wouldn't be able to sustain an MLB team.

Personally, I am happy with the Vancouver Canadians providing a nice source of "professional" baseball.

Unfortunately, our fickle city fan-base wouldn't do the new ball club any favours, especially having to build form the ground-up.

Sestito with the knock-out punch on most of the reasons why Vancouver wouldn't be able to sustain an MLB team.

Personally, I am happy with the Vancouver Canadians providing a nice source of "professional" baseball.

Unfortunately, our fickle city fan-base wouldn't do the new ball club any favours, especially having to build form the ground-up.

Unfortunately, you are correct. If we got an MLB team and their record was 50-112 the first season, 55-107 the second, and 52-110 in the third, attendance would drop from 75-80% down to 50-60% in a hurry. The team would be out of town the first chance it could. At a cost to taxpayers as well. For whatever reason, the people of Vancouver expect a team to compete for a championship every year. If they don't, people stop caring and don't support the teams.

NBA would succeed here.

Wouldn't be a big market but it'd be fine.

Increase in minority population. Globalization of the NBA. Last seasons raptors game sold out. This year they'll sell out. Volleyball and basketball are the two most popular high school sports. Simple.

Baseball is still failing to connect with a younger audience, so the team in Vancouver would have to be instantly successful (within two or three years).

Montreal is already trying to look at getting MLB back. I'd be very happy with that.

The real issue is our weather. You'd have build a field like Safeco Field in Seattle with a retractable roof, and yes a real grass field!

(Something I can't stand about BC Place. Just have grass dammit!)

Summers like this one are exceptions not the rule. However if we are in an era of climate change, and things are warmer and drier then perhaps we can have more beautiful days for baseball.

The reality is there is 81 home games per 162 game season. Texas who's in the middle of pack attendance wise only averages 31,710 fans per game. Seattle averages 29,724, and Toronto averages 28,735. Chicago who has not won a World Series since 1908, averages 35,295 fans per game. And Canucks fans gripe about us not winning a cup in 45 years!

I think baseball does have a fan base here. If you have an atmosphere like Nat Bailey Stadium, good food, good drinks. and a nice day in the sun, there's nothing like it. Only issue is you'd have to balance the price structure for ticket prices against attendance.

So the owner would have to have deep pockets for it work.

Personally, I think that the NBA coming back here would be successful, especially with the Trail Blazers being the only team in the Northwest. Fans from Seattle would want to get a team back there but if a team lands in Vancouver, I think we could see a lot of fans down there coming up here to watch games.

would be real cool to see Montreal get the MLB back, and Vancouver get the NBA back.

Not enough "sports fans" in Vancouver. There are mostly bandwagoners in town.

Canucks aren't contenders anymore = "The Canucks sucks... they never gonna win the cup!"

Whitecaps = "OMG.... it's not Real Madrid or ManU..... no Beckham, not gonna watch!"

BC Lion = "CFL? Pfft... why would I want to watch rejects that can't make it to the NFL?"

Canadians = "There's no baseball in Vancouver... you stupid?"

The only way I can think of MLB being successful here is if the team are very long-term. Like they're gonna offer student discounts or very cheap tickets so family and kids can easily attend.... thus capturing fans from a young age. Then those kids become adults, able to spend more money on the team (food, beer, merchandise), and eventually bring their own kids.

On a barely related note....

Just watched a Hanshin Tigers game in Japan... and wow. Talk about passion and atmosphere. It puts the Southsiders to shame.
You can bring you own food/drinks into the stadium, and if you're outta beer.... don't worry, they have girls wearing beer kegs to refill your cup. If only North America can be mature enough to let it happen here.

%25E7%2594%25BB%25E5%2583%258F+086.jpg

David Price's contract alone for next season will be more than $225M over 7 sears , almost $31M per season for 1 player

MLB has a 40 player roster, not to mention a farm system and Stadium.

Even Jimmy Pattison couldn't afford a MLB team! :shock:

Archived