The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his back yard

Mr. Ambien

Kentucky man shoots down drone hovering over his backyard

The way William Merideth sees it, it’s pretty clear-cut: a drone flying over his backyard was a well-defined invasion of privacy, analogous to a physical trespassing.

Not knowing who owned it, the Kentucky man took out his shotgun and fired three blasts of Number 8 birdshot to take the drone out.

"It was just right there," he told Ars. "It was hovering, I would never have shot it if it was flying. When he came down with a video camera right over my back deck, that's not going to work. I know they're neat little vehicles, but one of those uses shouldn’t be flying into people's yards and videotaping."

Minutes later, a car full of four men that he didn’t recognize rolled up, "looking for a fight."

"Are you the son of a bitch that shot my drone?" one said, according to Merideth.

His terse reply to the men, while wearing a 10mm Glock holstered on his hip: "If you cross that sidewalk onto my property, there’s going to be another shooting."

The men backed down, retreated to their car, and waited for the police to arrive.

"His only comment was that he hoped I had a big checkbook because his drone cost $1,800," Merideth added.

The Kentuckian was arrested Sunday evening in Hillview, Kentucky, just south of Louisville and charged with criminal mischief and wanton endangerment. He was released the following day. The Hillview Police Department did not immediately respond to Ars’ request for comment.

A measured approach?

The report of the downed drone comes a month after Ars reported on a similar incident in Modesto, California. But in that case, the drone operator was flying his drone over his parents’ farm, and it was shot down by a neighbor.

Here, Merideth, who operates a local trucking company, said that he had seen "two or three" different drones in his backyard previously over the last year and was disturbed by their presence. "What recourse do we have?" he asked.

The 43-year-old man claimed that law enforcement officials, including the county jailer, told him privately that they agreed with his actions. "The people that own the drones and the people that hate guns are the only ones that disagree with what I did," he said. "Now, if I’d have had a .22 rifle, I should have gone to jail for that. The diameter of those things are going to come down with enough force to hurt somebody. Number 8 birdshot is not. Number 8 is the size of a pinhead. The bottom line is that it's a right to privacy issue and defending my property issue. It would have been no different had he been standing in my backyard. As Americans, we have a right to defend our rights and property."

So what’s next in this bizarre tale?

"We have a lawyer and there's a court date and then there's going to be a hearing," Merideth said. "It's not going to stop with the two charges against me, which I'm confident that we'll get reduced or get dismissed completely."

And what would Merideth like to tell this errant drone operator when he meets him again?

"I would just like [him] to get some education on his toy and learn to respect the rights of the people," he said. "It's fine and dandy, and I think it's cool there's a camera on it, but just take it to a park or something—he's not a responsible drone owner."

http://www.foxnews.com/his-backyard/

Oopekxe.jpg

I don't care if I was fined or not, if I saw a drone hovering or sitting in my back yard, I find whatever I can to destroy it, and oh well for the owner.

Funny, that story doesn't jive with the several other versoins I have read, the ones I read have him shooting it down over his neigbours yard, claiming it was 10 feet off the ground while the operator has data showing it was never lower than 193 feet, and when the operator showed up P.O'd about having his drone detroyed he threatened him with a Glock. Don't think either side is telling the whole truth but firing a gun at a drone in a residential area is a reckless, irresponsible and dangerous act.

Funny, that story doesn't jive with the several other versoins I have read, the ones I read have him shooting it down over his neigbours yard, claiming it was 10 feet off the ground while the operator has data showing it was never lower than 193 feet, and when the operator showed up P.O'd about having his drone detroyed he threatened him with a Glock. Don't think either side is telling the whole truth but firing a gun at a drone in a residential area is a reckless, irresponsible and dangerous act.

#8 birdshot hitting the drone when it's almost 200 feet with enough energy to do any damage is pretty unlikely. It barely has enough energy at that range to do damage to a clay shot at a horizontal angle let alone straight up. Also not really such a big deal in a residential area. It's not going to do any damage shooting up at a drone, unless he shoots directly towards his neighbors, which is pretty much impossible in his back yard if he has a fence. Not like he is out back firing off an AK into the sky Osama bin Laden style. Sounds like you have a misunderstanding of firearms.

#8 birdshot hitting the drone when it's almost 200 feet with enough energy to do any damage is pretty unlikely. It barely has enough energy at that range to do damage to a clay shot at a horizontal angle let alone straight up. Also not really such a big deal in a residential area. It's not going to do any damage shooting up at a drone, unless he shoots directly towards his neighbors, which is pretty much impossible in his back yard if he has a fence. Not like he is out back firing off an AK into the sky Osama bin Laden style. Sounds like you have a misunderstanding of firearms.

So it is unlikey he used #8 birshot, I doubt a shotgun was used, at 200 feet there would be too much scatter to do much damage, someing powerful enough to take out a drone at 200 feet can cause injury or death when the bullet comes down again several blocks away, or didn't you think of that? You willing to take that responsibility? How about the damage when the drone comes crashing down, from that height it could seriousy damage a roof or car, not to mention a person who might get hit. Seem you have a misunderstanding of basic physics.

Does anyone think this article is a bit too long? That it just drones on?

Surely this only helps the 2nd amendment supporters.

I forgot about the the threat of a drone over my backyard. So I changed my opinions on guns. Guns are good.

'Murica strikes again;)

So it is unlikey he used #8 birshot, I doubt a shotgun was used, at 200 feet there would be too much scatter to do much damage, someing powerful enough to take out a drone at 200 feet can cause injury or death when the bullet comes down again several blocks away, or didn't you think of that? You willing to take that responsibility? How about the damage when the drone comes crashing down, from that height it could seriousy damage a roof or car, not to mention a person who might get hit. Seem you have a misunderstanding of basic physics.

Or maybe it was only like 10-20 feet up and you are just one of those paranoid anti gun nuts.

Or maybe it was only like 10-20 feet up and you are just one of those paranoid anti gun nuts.

So I am paranoid because I'd rather not have some loon firing a gun in my neighbourhood with no regard for anyone elses safety? If it's only 10-20 feet up the bullet can easily go through a wall of a nearby house, you're the one who sounds nuts. BTW I am not defending the drone operator, I think he's lying through his teeth about what he was doing as well.

So I am paranoid because I'd rather not have some loon firing a gun in my neighbourhood with no regard for anyone elses safety? If it's only 10-20 feet up the bullet can easily go through a wall of a nearby house, you're the one who sounds nuts. BTW I am not defending the drone operator, I think he's lying through his teeth about what he was doing as well.

Man up and take a bullet / shrapnel.

#8 birdshot can't easily go through a wall of a nearby house. You seem to be convinced he was shooting slugs or bullets at this drone, which is confusing because according to the story/news it was a shotgun shooting #8 birdshot. If you don't know what that is maybe you should look it up. It's basically much smaller and lighter than air soft bb's with a very minimal amount of gunpowder. Essentially it would be more dangerous to be shooting an air soft gun at the drone. You can buy those in wall mart if you are 12.

The birdshot has just enough power to go through a clay at 100-200 feet but those are soft enough you can shatter them in your hand if you hold them wrong. You wouldn't make it through your neighbors vinyl siding let alone into a house.

Lots of guys actually shoot it at each other across big fields for fun, if it's shot at an upward angle after a few hundred feet it is just traveling down due to gravity and won't hurt anything at all.

14181-Fox-News-MEME.jpg

news.jpg

#8 birdshot can't easily go through a wall of a nearby house. You seem to be convinced he was shooting slugs or bullets at this drone, which is confusing because according to the story/news it was a shotgun shooting #8 birdshot. If you don't know what that is maybe you should look it up. It's basically much smaller and lighter than air soft bb's with a very minimal amount of gunpowder. Essentially it would be more dangerous to be shooting an air soft gun at the drone. You can buy those in wall mart if you are 12.

The birdshot has just enough power to go through a clay at 100-200 feet but those are soft enough you can shatter them in your hand if you hold them wrong. You wouldn't make it through your neighbors vinyl siding let alone into a house.

Lots of guys actually shoot it at each other across big fields for fun, if it's shot at an upward angle after a few hundred feet it is just traveling down due to gravity and won't hurt anything at all.

The only weapon mentioned in the story is the Glock he threatened the operator with. Where are you getting the #8 birdshot from? Seems you are so egar to defend this gun nut you make up stuff to defend him, like your magic bullets/pellets that go up but don't come down, or a drone that is 200 feet in the air until it's inconvenient to your argument then is suddenly 10-20 feet off the ground or a shotgun that doesn't do any damage except to drones. The last part of your argument just shows the mentality of the pro-gun lobby, hey Bubba lets go out in the back 40 and shoot each other.

The only weapon mentioned in the story is the Glock he threatened the operator with. Where are you getting the #8 birdshot from? Seems you are so egar to defend this gun nut you make up stuff to defend him, like your magic bullets/pellets that go up but don't come down, or a drone that is 200 feet in the air until it's inconvenient to your argument then is suddenly 10-20 feet off the ground or a shotgun that doesn't do any damage except to drones. The last part of your argument just shows the mentality of the pro-gun lobby, hey Bubba lets go out in the back 40 and shoot each other.

Not knowing who owned it, the Kentucky man took out his shotgun and fired three blasts of Number 8 birdshot to take the drone out.

3rd paragraph of the story.

In the end, if it was actually that close to the ground, I would say that his actions were fair.

Look apparently you can't read, the article clearly mentions that he shot it with his shotgun, with #8 birdshot. He did not shoot it with a glock. Also when birdshot goes up it is much to light to do any damage to anything when it comes down, it just isn't heavy enough to do any damage to anything at that point if he is shooting it upwards. It's basic physics.

Also the only way he would take out the drone with the is if it was much lower than 200 feet which is why it's very easy to see the drone Owner claiming that it was never lower than 193 feet is a load of bs.

Lastly I am not supporting shooting birdshot at anyone, merely pointing out a very common example to show how harmless it really would be in this situation. Obviously you don't really seem to know anything about firearms. The reason I'm seemingly arguing with you is because you don't know what you are talking about, and I'm just correcting your assumptions with facts. So maybe before you start deciding what's safe or dangerous about them you should take a safety course and actually educate yourself.

Archived