The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canadian Election - Liberals Win Majority

DonLever

I'd like to see Harper in again, but definitely not with a majority gov't.

In a democratic society, no government should be a majority.

Minority governments are unwieldy. (Think of the Obama administration's problems with getting bills passed through Congress)

It's really too bad the Liberals decided to go with style (Trudeau) over substance (Garneau). The Cons have already begun the tear down of Justin and the sad thing is, they're not wrong.

OTOH, this has to help the NDP as they are quickly becoming the real alternative to Harper's Conservatives.

Tom Mulcair has already started to show what his strategy will be. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mulcair-questions-reporters-election-campaign-1.3177296

#don'tsayanythingstupid B)

Don't know why people are ripping the Liberal Party just because of Trudeau. He's got more than enough qualified MPs to make up a competent cabinet. If Trudeau's got that, then that should compensate for his lack of character and leadership, or whatever the hell people are attacking him for.

The ability to lead a country and be a character leader are all some BS qualities that people fixate on too much. What's more important is what the policy positions of each party is and what they're plans are for administering the country in the best way possible.

Anyways, here's to hoping for a non-Conservative minority government in October 2015.

Minority governments are unwieldy. (Think of the Obama administration's problems with getting bills passed through Congress)

It's really too bad the Liberals decided to go with style (Trudeau) over substance (Garneau). The Cons have already begun the tear down of Justin and the sad thing is, they're not wrong.

OTOH, this has to help the NDP as they are quickly becoming the real alternative to Harper's Conservatives.

Tom Mulcair has already started to show what his strategy will be. http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mulcair-questions-reporters-election-campaign-1.3177296

#don'tsayanythingstupid B)

I'm not sure how to take your comment on Mulcair's strategy, whether you're suggesting he'll follow Harper's lead of restricting questions or not, but the reason he took no questions is because he was attending Flora MacDonald's funeral right after his speech (unlike the other leaders). Mulcair has taken dozens and dozens of questions over the week. I think it's hilariously disingenuous to fault him for this.

Be prepared for the onslaught of attack ads. Two plus months worth should be good enough to drive away enough voters for a Conservative majority win.

They've been at it for years. This ad is over two years old, for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGWuN3ZVuxU

I've always wondered how the Chretien years would have been interpreted if the internet was more widespread. Just wondering how the narrative say on CDC would be.

I don't remember hearing as much anti-Chretien rhetoric either than the West being under represented.

When the centre-right was fractured into 2 and the Liberals cruised-controlled to majority government... people just seemed to accept that it's like how Parliamentary democracy worked.

Now when the centre-left are split 3-ways (Liberals, NDP and Greens), suddenly the Conservatives are authoritarian and people's democratic rights are being trampled.

I would have a hearty laugh if you were to attempt to substantiate this. You are aware that Harper himself penned something called Our Benign Dictatorship, right?

"Although we like to think of ourselves as living in a mature democracy, we live, instead, in something little better than a benign dictatorship, not under a strict one-party rule, but under a one-party-plus system beset by the factionalism, regionalism and cronyism that accompany any such system. Our parliamentary government creates a concentrated power structure out of step with other aspects of society. For Canadian democracy to mature, Canadian citizens must face these facts, as citizens in other countries have, and update our political structures to reflect the diverse political aspirations of our diverse communities."

Yeah. Nobody talked about those things until Harper became PM. This is completely sudden and unprecedented. Sure.

Harper has been detrimental to our democracy, and if you don't agree, for a change I'd like to hear an actual argument instead of a of whining about supposed hypocrisy of the left. Not that I'll be holding my breath, but I can hope.

I'm not sure how to take your comment on Mulcair's strategy, whether you're suggesting he'll follow Harper's lead of restricting questions or not, but the reason he took no questions is because he was attending Flora MacDonald's funeral right after his speech (unlike the other leaders). Mulcair has taken dozens and dozens of questions over the week. I think it's hilariously disingenuous to fault him for this.

Sounds like I hit a nerve. I thought the emoticon made it clear that the comment was made in jest, but I guess not.

FWIW, I live in staunch NDP country. My MP is Nathan Cullen who just lost out to Mulcair for the party leadership and would get my vote easily if he had done so.

He still might, if the NDP campaign convinces me that they're superior to the Liberals.

Sounds like I hit a nerve. I thought the emoticon made it clear that the comment was made in jest, but I guess not.

FWIW, I live in staunch NDP country. My MP is Nathan Cullen who just lost out to Mulcair for the party leadership and would get my vote easily if he had done so.

He still might, if the NDP campaign convinces me that they're superior to the Liberals.

Nah, you couldn't hit a nerve of mine if you tried. I'd actually stop and think if I may be wrong if we disagreed. Just wanted to clarify why Mulcair didn`t take questions.

Nah, you couldn't hit a nerve of mine if you tried. I'd actually stop and think if I may be wrong if we disagreed. Just wanted to clarify why Mulcair didn`t take questions.

I figured there was a reason for it. I just thought it was funny that the internet warriors were all over him for it. "That's not what Jack would have done!" etc, etc...

Politics:

HDLZG7XGRVKHKSEO57P6VUKOGP3NCHE720110724

:lol:

As much hate as there is for Harper there isn't anyone who really stands out to replace him.

A blow up doll would do better lol. It is not a matter of who stands out it is just a matter of someone else. The lesser of two evils in this case is what many will be voting for to start the ball of change rolling. He has to go.

I figured there was a reason for it. I just thought it was funny that the internet warriors were all over him for it. "That's not what Jack would have done!" etc, etc...

Politics:

HDLZG7XGRVKHKSEO57P6VUKOGP3NCHE720110724

:lol:

No they tore Mulcair apart for that but as stated he's been all over it recently answering endless questions all over the country.

Not sure of the relationship with McDonald and Mulcair but by all accounts they were pretty close professionally.

Just goes to show you the depths the Cons will sink too to prove their point. It could have been Mulcairs childs funeral or a close relative and at least a few cons would try to earn facetime by claiming he was being hypocritical by not answering every question.

Ironically. Harpers camp and campaign itinerary already have him stating he will ONLY answer 5 questions per meeting and ONLY from approved members of the press...

fancy that

I enjoyed yesterday's first salvo.

Conservative logic: Trudeau shows inexperience by being on a plane when the election is called when even Mr. Mulclair was on standby and made a speech immediately afterward.

Liberal logic: Trudeau had a commitment to be in Vancouver for Pride and he keeps his word. Mulclair had the same commitment but decided to go back East in case Lord Harper called the election.

NDP logic: DOWN WITH HARPER! Tom Muclair is your only alternative..... Liberals? Never heard of them.

I enjoyed yesterday's first salvo.

Conservative logic: Trudeau shows inexperience by being on a plane when the election is called when even Mr. Mulclair was on standby and made a speech immediately afterward.

Liberal logic: Trudeau had a commitment to be in Vancouver for Pride and he keeps his word. Mulclair had the same commitment but decided to go back East in case Lord Harper called the election.

NDP logic: DOWN WITH HARPER! Tom Muclair is your only alternative..... Liberals? Never heard of them.

Except of course where Mulcair was heading to the funeral of a long time friend and professional associate 3 hours later....

You know. "logic"

Harper sure opening well in Montreal in Trudeau sr. riding

Opening with a bold faced lie that only the most dense would truly believe. And hey, would you believe it's about...the economy!

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper today defended his government's record on the economy, saying during an election campaign visit to Quebec that the current downturn is only temporary and the economic forecast remains promising.

Harper, making his first campaign announcement in Laval, said the forecasts for the Canadian economy "are very good."

"These are temporary effects," he said. "We all knew with lower oil prices, lower resource prices, there's going to be some temporary effects in some sectors of the economy.

"Analysts are predicting good growth for the country into the future as long we stay on track."

The Canadian economy recently recorded its fifth consecutive monthly contraction in gross domestic product.

But Harper said there has been steady growth in the Canadian economy since the end of the recession, and that the country has been "head and shoulders" above all its G7 partners in terms of economic growth over the long term.

"We have far and away the best fiscal management," he said.

=================================

This is fo course not taking in to account canada is actually in the back of the G7 in terms of growth and projected GDP well behind the US at 2.5% and the Uk at 2.4%

more like if I recall it was 1.5 or 1.4%

Gods....if people are stupid enough to buy this crap they deserve it

No they tore Mulcair apart for that but as stated he's been all over it recently answering endless questions all over the country.

Not sure of the relationship with McDonald and Mulcair but by all accounts they were pretty close professionally.

Just goes to show you the depths the Cons will sink too to prove their point. It could have been Mulcairs childs funeral or a close relative and at least a few cons would try to earn facetime by claiming he was being hypocritical by not answering every question.

Ironically. Harpers camp and campaign itinerary already have him stating he will ONLY answer 5 questions per meeting and ONLY from approved members of the press...

fancy that

Harper's events are all by invite, too. Talk about confidence in your platform.

The CPC went from running on the economy, to running from the economy. :lol:

Oh man, can you guys imagine having media scums with the PM answering questions again? We haven't had that for years!

As much hate as there is for Harper there isn't anyone who really stands out to replace him.

That's why I "hate" him, I don't want him anywhere near Parliament Hill. Changing the rules and Senate scandals are the tip of the iceberg. "Hate" is pretty strong, I don't hate him, but I really dislike the man.

Harper sure opening well in Montreal in Trudeau sr. riding

Opening with a bold faced lie that only the most dense would truly believe. And hey, would you believe it's about...the economy!

Conservative Leader Stephen Harper today defended his government's record on the economy, saying during an election campaign visit to Quebec that the current downturn is only temporary and the economic forecast remains promising.

Harper, making his first campaign announcement in Laval, said the forecasts for the Canadian economy "are very good."

"These are temporary effects," he said. "We all knew with lower oil prices, lower resource prices, there's going to be some temporary effects in some sectors of the economy.

"Analysts are predicting good growth for the country into the future as long we stay on track."

The Canadian economy recently recorded its fifth consecutive monthly contraction in gross domestic product.

But Harper said there has been steady growth in the Canadian economy since the end of the recession, and that the country has been "head and shoulders" above all its G7 partners in terms of economic growth over the long term.

"We have far and away the best fiscal management," he said.

A little more on this:

Reality Check: Is Canada’s projected growth really the best in the G7?

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made his electoral pitch to Canadians Sunday morning: Stability and experience, or “risky,” untested platforms and plans?

He touted his government’s economic record, noting Canada’s financial outlook is the best in the G7, over the long haul.

But is it?

Sorry, Canada, but according to the IMF yours isn’t as big as you think.

Your economic growth, that is: The International Monetary Fund’s July World Economic Outlook pegs Canada’s year-over-year growth for this year at a projected 1.5 per cent — well below the United States, at 2.5 per cent, and the United Kingdom, at 2.4 per cent.

imfgrowthprojections.png?w=718&h=254

The outlook cited “an unexpected output contraction in the United States, with attendant spillovers to Canada and Mexico.”

The federal Conservatives have burnished their reputation as a steady hand in turbulent economic times, especially given Canada’s relatively rapid recovery in the wake of the 2008 global recession.

And Canada’s post-recession GDP growth has made it one of the G7’s top performers, according to the OECD:

oecdgdpgrowth.png?w=873&h=258

But swooning oil prices and job market jitters have made that a tougher political sell: Canada’s economy looks shakier this year, and months-long contractions in growth have some economists saying the country’s in a recession.

“I was a little bit surprised to see the PM mention that,” said Mike Moffatt, an economist with the Ivey School of Business and the Mowat Centre.

“We’re in the middle of the pack, at best.”

Same goes for our unemployment rate, the OECD stats indicate:

oecdg7unemployment.png?w=866&h=251

But to be fair, Moffatt noted, many of the economic factors buffeting Canada are outside Harper’s control.

“I don’t think anyone can take credit or blame,” for the economy’s wellbeing, Moffatt said.

“The problem the government’s gotten into is that over the past few years they’ve been talking about nothing but the economy. …

“Now, if you stop talking about that, that looks really strange.”

And as much as elections can be a “referendum on performance,” he added, “I think the most important thing from any of the leaders is, ‘Okay, what would you do going forward?'”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2144115/reality-check-is-canadas-projected-growth-really-the-best-in-the-g7/

A little more on this:

Reality Check: Is Canada’s projected growth really the best in the G7?

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made his electoral pitch to Canadians Sunday morning: Stability and experience, or “risky,” untested platforms and plans?

He touted his government’s economic record, noting Canada’s financial outlook is the best in the G7, over the long haul.

But is it?

Sorry, Canada, but according to the IMF yours isn’t as big as you think.

Your economic growth, that is: The International Monetary Fund’s July World Economic Outlook pegs Canada’s year-over-year growth for this year at a projected 1.5 per cent — well below the United States, at 2.5 per cent, and the United Kingdom, at 2.4 per cent.

imfgrowthprojections.png?w=718&h=254

The outlook cited “an unexpected output contraction in the United States, with attendant spillovers to Canada and Mexico.”

The federal Conservatives have burnished their reputation as a steady hand in turbulent economic times, especially given Canada’s relatively rapid recovery in the wake of the 2008 global recession.

And Canada’s post-recession GDP growth has made it one of the G7’s top performers, according to the OECD:

oecdgdpgrowth.png?w=873&h=258

But swooning oil prices and job market jitters have made that a tougher political sell: Canada’s economy looks shakier this year, and months-long contractions in growth have some economists saying the country’s in a recession.

“I was a little bit surprised to see the PM mention that,” said Mike Moffatt, an economist with the Ivey School of Business and the Mowat Centre.

“We’re in the middle of the pack, at best.”

Same goes for our unemployment rate, the OECD stats indicate:

oecdg7unemployment.png?w=866&h=251

But to be fair, Moffatt noted, many of the economic factors buffeting Canada are outside Harper’s control.

“I don’t think anyone can take credit or blame,” for the economy’s wellbeing, Moffatt said.

“The problem the government’s gotten into is that over the past few years they’ve been talking about nothing but the economy. …

“Now, if you stop talking about that, that looks really strange.”

And as much as elections can be a “referendum on performance,” he added, “I think the most important thing from any of the leaders is, ‘Okay, what would you do going forward?'”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2144115/reality-check-is-canadas-projected-growth-really-the-best-in-the-g7/

And there in lies the laugh

Harper HAS been taking credit for the economy doing well since 2008, which in fact was despite him not because of him.

Now that it's tanking he's refusing to talk about it and instead using the same endless talking points

fancy that

I must have missed the Cons saying anything about it. :huh:

I was referring to a bunch of people on Twitter. Mostly reporters, from what I can gather.

I must have missed the Cons saying anything about it. :huh:

I was referring to a bunch of people on Twitter. Mostly reporters, from what I can gather.

There were quite a few tweets from the Conservative caucus in regards to Mulcair being a hypocrit because he refused to answer questions after making his statement.

As though somehow saying he does it to excuses Herr Harper from never answering to the public and refusing to speak to the press outside of pre-approved questions.

I wasn't thrilled with Mulcair for not speaking until I found out why he wasn't. Then I just felt shame that people would try to score some sort of imaginary win by attacking him for instead going to the funeral of a long serving politician of Canada and friend of his

Archived