The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver teen dies after suspected fentanyl overdose.

Grapefruits

Drinking enough soda or energy drinks can cause a heart attack. It's a risk every time people go nuts with those, or go nuts with Jager bombs.

Drugs have more potency, but as far as what the bigger deal is, drugs are about on par with guns. Every day lifestyle like food is a far greater impact on society's health than drugs.

You must have quoted the wrong person. I'm not discussing whether or not one should make smart decisions. I'm criticizing people for focusing so much on drugs and not a far bigger problem.

People still need to make a choice. Whether or not they're going to change their lifestyle (diet/exercise/quit doing drugs).

Unless you're suggesting the media should put more focus on the major heath issues of society?

Not sure what to say there...refer to line one of this response.

How about we keep the focus on educating kids about drugs and the risk of taking them........

Buuuuuuuuut,

Also focus on healthy food and lifestyle choices!?!?!?

Imagine! Getting two birds stoned at once!

Active, healthy, drug free. watch the health care system right itself and, and pharm companies relinquish a little bit of control over "our" lives.

I know.

Crazy talk.

Well, yes, but not all things are equal. Priorities.

To be honest I'm baffled that people actually need so much education on any of these topics.

Edit

Children and teens excluded

As others have to pay for their health, especially in Canada, it becomes that much more important to emphasize staying away from dangerous foods and educating early on. Not in a "zomg anti-gluten hysteria i r haet meat and monsanto" way, but the proven source of widespread health problems like sugar and sodium, promoting better access to health/fitness facilities, etc.

Obviously it isn't to say the emphasis on staying on drugs shouldn't be there, but the food thing is for some reason vastly underestimated.

As others have to pay for their health, especially in Canada, it becomes that much more important to emphasize staying away from dangerous foods and educating early on. Not in a "zomg anti-gluten hysteria i r haet meat and monsanto" way, but the proven source of widespread health problems like sugar and sodium, promoting better access to health/fitness facilities, etc.Obviously it isn't to say the emphasis on staying on drugs shouldn't be there, but the food thing is for some reason vastly underestimated.

Agree 100%

The access to health and fitness for youth/families should be a priority. It's a head scratcher. For example when working out of town, which is most weeks of the year unfortunately, I seek out the community centres during the bad weather months. A drop in is nearly 10$, and a monthly pass is $75-80$ for an adult. How is this affordable for a lot of people? It becomes so easy to eliminate that from the family monthly budget. The priorities in famlies need to shift, true, but access to fitness should be affordable to everyone.

Well I derailed a bit but, I believe strongly in pro active health efforts.

Agree 100%

The access to health and fitness for youth/families should be a priority. It's a head scratcher. For example when working out of town, which is most weeks of the year unfortunately, I seek out the community centres during the bad weather months. A drop in is nearly 10$, and a monthly pass is $75-80$ for an adult. How is this affordable for a lot of people? It becomes so easy to eliminate that from the family monthly budget. The priorities in famlies need to shift, true, but access to fitness should be affordable to everyone.

Well I derailed a bit but, I believe strongly in pro active health efforts.

I prefer the aquatic centre down the street, but my wife is obsessed with Goodlife. To each their own, as long as someone does something. :lol:

You must have quoted the wrong person. I'm not discussing whether or not one should make smart decisions. I'm criticizing people for focusing so much on drugs and not a far bigger problem.

Global warming? About as on point as your whole unhealthy people rant. Why are you talking about dietary problems at all? They didnt OD on Baconators. This is about illegal drugs

Global warming? About as on point as your whole unhealthy people rant. Why are you talking about dietary problems at all? They didnt OD on Baconators. This is about illegal drugs

- Asks pointless question about why I'm making posts I'm making in the thread

- Clearly doesn't read thread

- Concludes it's not on point prior to asking why making posts that actually follow discussion in this thread

CDC wisdom in a nutshell.

My youngest is going in for knee surgery in a few days, and the vet confessed to me - in a whispered, scandalous voice - that he's been prescribed doggy-fentanyl.

I tried having a talk with him about the choices he makes prior to ingesting foreign substances, but he was too doped up on previously prescribed pain killers, staring over my shoulder blankly. Possibly at the squirrel outside, but I'm starting to think he's behind the *VaNcOuVeRCaNuCkS* account.

As is one cyanide tablet (deadlier than oxy), but one isn't as big of an issue as the other.

Except we're not talking about cyanide. We're talking about prescription drugs that kids have access to and whether foods like doughnuts and hamburgers are "every bit as dangerous".

They are not.

Except we're not talking about cyanide. We're talking about prescription drugs that kids have access to and whether foods like doughnuts and hamburgers are "every bit as dangerous".

They are not.

Don't take it personal, but given your penchant for elevating the importance of mass shootings well beyond average gun crimes, it's no surprise to me you're, once again, not able to discern a more important problem from a lesser one. The food people eat has created health problems for society far beyond what drugs have ever done.

Don't take it personal, but given your penchant for elevating the importance of mass shootings well beyond average gun crimes, it's no surprise to me you're, once again, not able to discern a more important problem from a lesser one. The food people eat has created health problems for society far beyond what drugs have ever done.

Not taking it personal at all. I agree that junk food is a problem. The point I was refuting is that commonly consumed foods are "every bit as bad" as drugs.

As far as the mass shootings thing goes, I don't see it as of "lesser" importance than any other gun crimes. It doesn't at all surprise me that a 2nd amendment apologist such as yourself does.

Not taking it personal at all. I agree that junk food is a problem. The point I was refuting is that commonly consumed foods are "every bit as bad" as drugs.

As far as the mass shootings thing goes, I don't see it as of "lesser" importance than any other gun crimes. It doesn't at all surprise me that a 2nd amendment apologist such as yourself does.

Foods are creating far more problems than drugs are, so the obvious larger problem is food. It's partly my fault that I took the bait on the "but drugz can kill u" debate because we know the instant lethality of drugs can be high (hence the cyanide pill post), but obviously wasn't conducive nor relevant to the original point of this thread deviation.

Foods are creating far more problems than drugs are, so the obvious larger problem is food. It's partly my fault that I took the bait on the "but drugz can kill u" debate because we know the instant lethality of drugs can be high (hence the cyanide pill post), but obviously wasn't conducive nor relevant to the original point of this thread deviation.

However, it was relevant to the point I was making. Perhaps you shouldn't have quoted my post, if you were planning on arguing something else altogether.

You mean choosing to buy an illicit product that's more likely than not will do unknown amount of harm to your body, from a non-trustworthy source, manufactured with lots of dangerous and unknown chemicals with lots of random fillers?

Sounds stupid to me.

you don't have to be stupid to take part in high risk behaviour.

However, it was relevant to the point I was making. Perhaps you shouldn't have quoted my post, if you were planning on arguing something else altogether.

Let's take a trip down memory lane since between now and yesterday you've already forgotten your own posts, even though they appear on this very page:

According to the guy I quoted it is. He said ANYTHING you ingest that you don't know where it came from.

And yes, sugar and caffeine are both drugs. They are both addictive and manipulate your body. The crap that is in our food is every bit as dangerous as drugs you buy off the street. You can, in a way, OD from Big Macs, in that eat enough of that garbage and you can have a heart attack. And pesticides such as RoundUp are linked to cancer. Not to mention the food additives, colouring, etc.

But it's much sexier to talk about drugs and not the epidemic of poisons we all ingest on a regular basis.

^ This is what I responded to. Looks like I responded to the right person.

Calling it ridiculous is, itself, ridiculous.

Caffeine is a drug. It increases your heart rate and is addictive.

The soda that caffeine and artificial sugars tends to come in not only causes hypertension but diabetes and other serious health problems too.

The issue isn't whether or not people should be having it in moderation, it's the fact that, by virtue of how much of it people consume in the real world (instead of theoretically), it is far more dangerous. And this is just one food example because it's amongst the worst, and the most heavily consumed.

And the numbers don't lie, the severity of health problems caused by these chemicals and drugs at the supermarket and at fast food restaurants are far more deadly than drugs. So I agree with the premise of the person you responded to, this should be the focus far more than drugs. This is what I've been on point with the entire time, it's you who seems lost here.

Archived