The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 on 3 overtime! Awesome!

Van bc

1) D Sedin - H Sedin - Hamhuis

2) Burrows - Sutter - Edler

3) Horvat - Vrbata - Tanev

Those could be some quality 3 on 3 lines.

I'm with this. I think burrows would excel in 3 vs 3 situations. I might even put whatever line he is on as top line. Solid on defense, if you pick off a pass or cause a turnover with 3vs3 you are gone. Given that he is one of, if not our most clutch player and one of our best on breakaways, I would list whatever line he is on as tops against some teams.

This 3-on-3 overtime thing is going to be a joke. They want to avoid shootouts because too many games were decided by a so-called gimmick. What do you call 3-on-3? How often do you see that garbage in an NHL game?

It's going to look like a practice scrimmage game with only 3 players on the ice for each team. Hopefully the league realizes what a horrible idea this was and kills it quickly.

This 3-on-3 overtime thing is going to be a joke. They want to avoid shootouts because too many games were decided by a so-called gimmick. What do you call 3-on-3? How often do you see that garbage in an NHL game?

It's going to look like a practice scrimmage game with only 3 players on the ice for each team. Hopefully the league realizes what a horrible idea this was and kills it quickly.

debbie-downer.png

Yes, they will...out of breath and a -1 as the likes of Gaudreau, McDavid, Bennett, Hall, Monahan etc are celebrating the GWG in front of Miller.

I knew that response was coming <_<

I don't think the Sedins will be as good 3v3 as they are 4v4.

Going from 5v5 to 4v4 favours strong possession and cycle players (this is why the Sedins dominate), but moving to 3v3 it favours players with speed and players who score off the rush (anyone who has seen 3v3 hockey knows how many odd man rushes there are, it is a game of mistakes and rushes not set-up chances like 4v4).

This is exactly what I was thinking. Which is why I think players like Kenins, Baertschi (is he fast), Virtanen (assuming he makes the team) and Hansen would probably be our best options during 3v3s as far as wing goes. Defence is pretty slow all around so Edler and Weber would be our only two options on the back end. Tanev lacks a shot but has good vision, same can be said of Hammer.

Splitting the Sedins might be our best option if we do utilize their obvious skill. Daniel and Sutter and Hank and Vrbata? How likely would it be to use two defencemen and one forward? Possibilities almost seem endless.

Wow, if a team gets penalized in OT starting next year, I'd say they're good as done. Three on two PP for two minutes could exhaust the defenders so badly, esp. if it's defending against guys who spread the ice (e.g. the Twins and Edler) and they need to guard against them even if they move the puck around so much.

Wow, if a team gets penalized in OT starting next year, I'd say they're good as done. Three on two PP for two minutes could exhaust the defenders so badly, esp. if it's defending against guys who spread the ice (e.g. the Twins and Edler) and they need to guard against them even if they move the puck around so much.

Does a penalty result in 3-on-2 rather than 4-on-3?

Honestly, 3 on 3 is going to be really exciting to watch, but, I think they are just tinkering with the game too much, If it were my call I would say play 5 minutes of 5 on 5 and if its a tie its a tie, no more 3 point games. Just play the game the way it was originally played.

However, like I said 3 on 3 will be exciting, and as most posters allude to, it will be an entirely different strategy then 4 on 4, teams will need their fastest guys out there as much as possible. I expect most overtimes will last under 1 and a half minutes, a lot of OT's will likely be won during a change on the fly, 3 on 3 is just too easy to capitalize on any mistakes. I mean I think 90% of the time I watch teams play at 3 on 3 someone scores within 30 seconds.

For the Canucks I'm not sure who I'd start with for forwards, I'd certainly use Edler as the primary D man, probably Baerstchi, he can skate fast and pass, and maybe put Vrbata out their as the finisher. The Sedins are great players, but their game revolves around being able to cycle and make seemingly difficult passes through a multitude of defenders, I'm not sure they are the top option to start a 3 on 3 PP.

Baerstci Vrbata

Edler

Followed by

Sedin Sedin

Tanev

If Horvats skating improves throughout the season certainly put him out their too, maybe in place of Vrbata to win the opening faceoff.

Does a penalty result in 3-on-2 rather than 4-on-3?

It's a 4 on 3 according to nhl.com

I think this is going to be exhausting for goalies. It's basically going to be line rushes on a full sheet of ice and goalies are going to get peppered. If both of them manage to get past the overtime, they get the privilege of going to a shootout. I really didn't mind the idea at first, but looking at it from a goalies perspective, it looks like a turkey shoot.

Yes, they will...out of breath and a -1 as the likes of Gaudreau, McDavid, Bennett, Hall, Monahan etc are celebrating the GWG in front of Miller.

You know they are our most conditioned players right?

Despite their age, they are much better at taking long shifts than most players. When they have the puck and can control the tempo, they rarely get gassed.

Archived