The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Transition

Me_

The Oilers are going to be winners before us. What does that make them? A psuedo-loser/psuedo-winner?

I'm not so sure about that. You could be right and it could happen, but people have predicted that the Oilers would make the playoffs for the past 3 years, and it didn't happen.

You could have made your needless post without quoting him.

Hopefully Vey makes a huge improvement from his rookie season. Sofar that trade is a glaring loss for Benning.

Any players taken in that second round have a better year than Vey did last year? Or better than Vey's AHL years? I fail to see it being a "glaring loss".

i think benning is going about it the right way, which is different than cdc's way....that's all this is...our opinions and benning's plan...

some people put too much importance on their opinions...some people seem to think, that if they bitch enough, benning will change his plan and follow every opinion on here...brrrr.

Many here would die if mum and dad weren't their GM.

Any players taken in that second round have a better year than Vey did last year? Or better than Vey's AHL years? I fail to see it being a "glaring loss".

When was the last time a 2nd round draftee made the NHL immediately out of the draft?

What are NHL CBA rules pertaining to NHL draftees being allowed to play in the AHL?

Google these 2 questions and you will have the answer to your questions?

I like the progress. Which it had started 2 years ago but life goes on. Benning is building up depth

and has created spaces for the top young talent to challenge for a roster spot. Depending how the rookies do and what value he can get for vets next March, the Canucks will get stronger.

Vancouver's connection to their AHL team is strong. Seasoning their prospects there is absolutely

critical. There are no guarantees that these prospects will maximize their development but depth and

time improves the odds. As vets are moved or their contracts expire Benning will have CAP space to

sign UFA's to compliment his young core players.

I don't care if Van makes playoffs next year. The critical concern is that the young players have good

seasons and that youth is rotated through the roster during the season. Sven B, Corrado, Kenans,

Markstrom + a possible surprise make the opening lineup. Virtanen gets a 9 game look. Biega, Shinkaruk,

Friesen, Guance, Grenier, and Pedan get some games.

I'll be honest.

When looking at Gillis' team in 2014 and comparing it to the line-up we have going into this season - I'd call it an improvement.

The only real area that we are "weaker" in would be defence, but we're really only one solid top 4 defenceman away from being better than Gillis team.

We are better in goaltending with Miller/Markstrom than Lack/Markstrom, and we our strength down the middle is much better than in previous years as well (and only getting stronger with the likes of Cassels and Gaunce coming up). Our first line is older, but producing better than they were at the end of the Gillis regime. Our second line and third lines are going to be difficult to call until we see Baer and Horvat bring their game to the table in the fall, but we COULD be better or worse in this area. We have a real 4th line which can be gritty and push people around while still having enough of a nose for the net to be a threat.

On top of this, our prospect cupboard is finally looking strong again where it was very bare and weak in the Gillis era.

How people can say that Benning is not doing a good job is beyond me - you people miss the bigger picture when you focus on the small details. Overall Benning has done a great job by fielding a roster than can compete for the playoffs while rebuilding our depth and prospects at the same time.

A couple of things about this years team to add to Fateless' coments above:

This team is mentally stronger (and harder to play against): out Kassian, Matthias, Lack, in Prust, Sutter, Markstrom

This team is faster: out Bonino, Bieksa, in Sutter, Bartkowski

A couple of things about this years team to add to Fateless' coments above:

This team is mentally stronger (and harder to play against): out Kassian, Matthias, Lack, in Prust, Sutter, Markstrom

This team is faster: out Bonino, Bieksa, in Sutter, Bartkowski

I agree with most of this except for markstrom.

There is no proof that markstrom is mentally stronger than a suicidal teddy bear. He has had a fantastic year in the ahl (like he jas in the past) but has only posted mediocre at best results in the nhl. His first game was terrible. So for me he's still a question mark until proven otherwise.

I'll be honest.

When looking at Gillis' team in 2014 and comparing it to the line-up we have going into this season - I'd call it an improvement.

The only real area that we are "weaker" in would be defence, but we're really only one solid top 4 defenceman away from being better than Gillis team.

We are better in goaltending with Miller/Markstrom than Lack/Markstrom, and we our strength down the middle is much better than in previous years as well (and only getting stronger with the likes of Cassels and Gaunce coming up). Our first line is older, but producing better than they were at the end of the Gillis regime. Our second line and third lines are going to be difficult to call until we see Baer and Horvat bring their game to the table in the fall, but we COULD be better or worse in this area. We have a real 4th line which can be gritty and push people around while still having enough of a nose for the net to be a threat.

On top of this, our prospect cupboard is finally looking strong again where it was very bare and weak in the Gillis era.

How people can say that Benning is not doing a good job is beyond me - you people miss the bigger picture when you focus on the small details. Overall Benning has done a great job by fielding a roster than can compete for the playoffs while rebuilding our depth and prospects at the same time.

The 2014 team was pretty much the same group (minus Ehrhoff and some bottom six players) that dominated the Western Conference,so I would have a hard time saying JB's group is better at this time.....Injuries and a maniac behind the bench made for a spectacular plummet to 24th overall.

The 2014 team had a weak 4th line if I recall Zac Dalpe,Tom Sestito,Dale Weise,Schroeder...I much prefer JB's method of having 4 lines that can really compete..

Yes, there's been a high volume of trades. Canadian teams in flux tend to do that. It makes seasons more exciting?

However, nobody seems to be able to come to a concensus on whether this series trades was good or bad. My feeling is that it doesn't really matter. We're not winning with this current group and all these trades and signings done so far have been made to ensure our mediocrity for the time being, so have we done enough to avoid all the great players of the 2016 draft? If so, then mission accomplished.

Nobody's denying that change is coming. It's the team motto. But if the changes made and to come doesn't lead to us winning a cup, then who cares?

Signed, Passionate Fan.

Yes, there's been a high volume of trades. Canadian teams in flux tend to do that. It makes seasons more exciting?

However, nobody seems to be able to come to a concensus on whether this series trades was good or bad. My feeling is that it doesn't really matter. We're not winning with this current group and all these trades and signings done so far have been made to ensure our mediocrity for the time being, so have we done enough to avoid all the great players of the 2016 draft? If so, then mission accomplished.

Nobody's denying that change is coming. It's the team motto. But if the changes made and to come doesn't lead to us winning a cup, then who cares?

Signed, Passionate Fan.

I guess we on this board care; we are (here) discussing the team and the changes made.

I agree with most of this except for markstrom.

There is no proof that markstrom is mentally stronger than a suicidal teddy bear. He has had a fantastic year in the ahl (like he jas in the past) but has only posted mediocre at best results in the nhl. His first game was terrible. So for me he's still a question mark until proven otherwise.

Care to make a wager on this? Anyone who watched him in Utica and has any eye for development will say that he's greatly improved both his technique and his mental toughness. It's obvious in his bounceback games, it's obvious in how he owns hi crease. Markstrom is already the toughest goalie we've had in years.

Care to make a wager on this? Anyone who watched him in Utica and has any eye for development will say that he's greatly improved both his technique and his mental toughness. It's obvious in his bounceback games, it's obvious in how he owns hi crease. Markstrom is already the toughest goalie we've had in years.

LOL at this guy^^^ calling Markstrom "the toughest goalie we've had in years" based on what he's done in the AHL. Like Willie D. has inferred on many occasions, a guy hasn't done squat until he's done it in the NHL.

Top 5 goaltender prospects in the world in fact. Nice to have Demko at #4 too :)

Signed, Passionate Fan.

Dear Passionate Fan,

It is impossible to determine if a trade is good or bad until the players being traded get to play on the ice with their new team and show what they can do. Some teams acquire studs and they don't have chemistry with the other players and fall off past production levels. Others get a player no one thought much of until they started lighting up the scoreboard thanks to a change in scenery. Hindsight is what allows us to see if a potential trade is good or bad. We need at least 1 season to determine those effects.

Sincerely,

The Patient Fan.

Archived