The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our future with Cole Cassels

Van bc

I read a lot of hype about Cole Cassels and how he's going to be our future. Is anyone concerned about his size? He is 6.0 and 175 lbs at 20years of age. Most guys that make a splash are 200 lbs at 18years old. I also read that he shut down Connor McDavid in the OHL final but it shows McDavid averaging 2.6 points per game in that series. We need to Draft big centers to succeed in the west

Cassels has great hockey sense and plays bigger than his size. We are trending guys like him right now, character depth guys that get the job done for you in other ways. I dont think Mc Davids average numbers really tell the story, its was pretty much unanimous across forums and different media sources, that the TEAM shut Mc David down. Cole was just paired against him alot so it should be noted.

Cassels isn't "the future" all on his own. We've got Horvat, Brisebois, Subban, Boeser, and Virtanen to go with him. He shut out McDavid - the superstar only got a few points against him, the rest were when Cassels wasn't on the ice - and he led his team to the Memorial Cup. No doubt he'll be good, but don't load him up with expectations he can't fulfill.

Just a couple points:

1.) McDavid scored only 7 points in 5 games during the Oshawa-Erie series. That's 1.4 points/game. And when Oshawa played at home (and could hard match Cassels against McDavid), McDavid only scored 1 point in 3 games: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/roster/gameByGame/id/9904

2.) Cassels is listed at 6'0' and 180 lbs (on both the OHL website and Oshawa's official page) and at 6'1" and 183 lbs on Elite Prospects: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=118659

Assuming Cassels is ready, I'd rather see him do 4C duties instead of someone like Vey. Like already pointed out in this thread, he plays bigger than his size, and is definitely bigger than 175 lbs.

With his tenacity, a 4th line with Dorsett, Cassels, and Prust would be a very effective energy line imo.

incorrect facts. He is listed on almost every site as 6'-6'1 and 180lbs. I've seen reports that list him anywhere from 185lbs-200lbs.

He will most likely be around the same size as Burrows. He really is a Burrows in almost every way except he passes more than he shoots. Elite prospects lists him as 6'1" 183lbs.

I read a lot of hype about Cole Cassels and how he's going to be our future. Is anyone concerned about his size? He is 6.0 and 175 lbs at 20years of age. Most guys that make a splash are 200 lbs at 18years old. I also read that he shut down Connor McDavid in the OHL final but it shows McDavid averaging 2.6 points per game in that series. We need to Draft big centers to succeed in the west

Who'd you rather have in your system? A 20 yo clocking in at 6'0 180 lbs. that plays the game bigger than he is or a 27 yo clocking in at 6'4" 220 lbs. who plays smaller than he is? I think the Canucks management have spoken.

And Cole Cassels isn't the team's future. He's a prospect with a legit shot at being the no. 3/4 centerman, but if you think he's going to be a franchise player, then you have more problems than just short division.

I think he'll be trade bait, which is sad because I want to keep him but probably true because we have a ton depth down the middle.

Henrik

Bo

Sutter

Vey

Fourth line plug

McCann

Gaunce

Cassels

Gaunce vs Cassels basically and Cassels holds the higher trade value in a position of strength for us. So we shouldn't be afraid to deal him for a prospect of similar value on defence or wing.

I think he'll be trade bait, which is sad because I want to keep him but probably true because we have a ton depth down the middle.

Henrik

Bo

Sutter

Vey

Fourth line plug

McCann

Gaunce

Cassels

Gaunce vs Cassels basically and Cassels holds the higher trade value in a position of strength for us. So we shouldn't be afraid to deal him for a prospect of similar value on defence or wing.

Gaunce has been turned into a winger, so that resolves him. Vey is a stop gap player. He will be traded for whatever, when Cassals is ready. Plus, many centres can, and do, play wing too.

Sort of on this topic,

Who else is pumped for preseason this year?

We get to see our prospects with the big club!

Me too

I heard the McCann, Demko, Cassels and Dorsett were all at the whitecaps game yesterday, not really a big deal but that probably means Cassels has spent the whole summer in Vancouver trainning with the Canucks staff so he should be in good shape come trainning camp.

Henrik

Bo

Sutter

Vey

Fourth line plug

McCann

Gaunce

Cassels

I think that Vey will eventually be moved to wing. He could be a very effective top 6 winger and I think that being a top 6 center isn't in the cards for him.

Cole Cassels needs to play for us this season or next. I can see the guy paired alongside Brandon Sutter and maybe Brandon Prust. Together, they will make a devestating shutdown line that - if only paired with a top-tier defense pair and a top goalie - will silence even the strongest opponents. They won't score a lot of points though.

lol cuz putting on weight is impossible. Give your head a shake.

Archived