The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No powerplay defenseman!

Diljot4

We have no defenseman that can play on the powerplay besides weber but in the playoffs weber totally disappeared. I don't think edler can play the powerplay anymore because he's turned into a shut down d-man. Our powerplay was so successful in the past because we had erhoff and salo blasting pucks but they could also find the pass through sticks. Who do we pick up to improve the powerplay?

We have no defenseman that can play on the powerplay besides weber but in the playoffs weber totally disappeared. I don't think edler can play the powerplay anymore because he's turned into a shut down d-man. Our powerplay was so successful in the past because we had erhoff and salo blasting pucks but they could also find the pass through sticks. Who do we pick up to improve the powerplay?

Maybe, we need to change the scheme of the power Play? Let's focus on the guys we have. Shutter is a shooter; he could play the off wing on the PP, like what Kesler did. Having that shot from the side boards again would free up Weber at the point.

Lol, Edler can definitely play the PP. He tied for 30th in power play points amongst defenseman despite missing 8 games.

But yeah, GMJB should definitely sign Ehrhoff on a 1 year/2.5M deal and move him for assets at the deadline after he's pumped up his value on a Sedin PP.

Lol, Edler can definitely play the PP. He tied for 30th in power play points amongst defenseman despite missing 8 games.

But yeah, GMJB should definitely sign Ehrhoff on a 1 year/2.5M deal and move him for assets at the deadline after he's pumped up his value on a Sedin PP.

That's not a lot of games missed. Did the other 29 d-men play all 82 games?

We're still in a building mode and I think it's not that important that the roll of pp point man is filled this year, we will make the best of what we have and add that element within the next few years.

Your right it's needed but we've got a few years to find a good fit.

We're still in a building mode and I think it's not that important that the roll of pp point man is filled this year, we will make the best of what we have and add that element within the next few years.

Your right it's needed but we've got a few years to find a good fit.

You point is well made, and valid.

Do you think we need a #1 elite d-man? We have never really had one, and it seems almost impossible to win a Cup without one.

You point is well made, and valid.

Do you think we need a #1 elite d-man? We have never really had one, and it seems almost impossible to win a Cup without one.

I think we need one stronger then what we currently have but elite is top 5 in the league (to me) and I'm not sure we need that, although it would be nice.

I think it's important to have a great shutdown, D a great point shot d, and a great playmaking d... Doesn't have to be the same player but all the roles need to be filled.

Edler's fine (excellent actually) as the secondary shooter but he never was and likely never will be a deft PP quarterback D-man able to consistently drive/create offense, play pass with the forwards etc.

Weber for PP1?

Edler for PP2?

Seems good to me. Weber and Edler combined for 10 PPGs.

I'm not saying Weber is terrific but if he can play like he did last year, he will be a good bridge until our young guys can step up.

IMO this team has lacked a serious PP QB since Erhoff's departure. I'd love to see him come back but we don't have the dollars, and it looks like the team wants to give Corrado a decent shot.

Bartkowski had virtually no PP time in Boston so perhaps he can help out. But isn't Sbisa supposed to be the scorer on that line? lol, we will see

I wonder if Suban can become that guy for us?

He tops out at 2/3 of an "elite" if he ever gets that far, don't think he would ever be that shut down guy. If he's a great offensive D and we and run the lines to get the matchups it would be great.

I think having the "elite" D makes coaching in regards to line matching a lot less difficult but getting the right D in the right situations becomes more important when you don't.

He tops out at 2/3 of an "elite" if he ever gets that far, don't think he would ever be that shut down guy. If he's a great offensive D and we and run the lines to get the matchups it would be great.

I think having the "elite" D makes coaching in regards to line matching a lot less difficult but getting the right D in the right situations becomes more important when you don't.

Ya my nhl15 said that as well. Must be true.

Verby on the point worked well. The scheme also needs to change, it was quite predictable last year and teams knew what was coming. Verby should have been used more on one timers, him and edler can rip the puck. Hopefully Sutter and Horvat are on the 2nd unit, you cant get much worse than what the 2nd unit did last year.

Archived