The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No powerplay defenseman!

Diljot4

But Benning believes Sbisa and Corrado will be the guys along with Weber. Obviously Benning knows what he's doing. B)

Benning has never stated anything about Sbisa and Corrado being powerplay defenseman.

Weber had the same amount of PP goals as Edler so yeah Weber on the PP is a no brainer with our current roster.

But Benning believes Sbisa and Corrado will be the guys along with Weber. Obviously Benning knows what he's doing. B)

Weber is on a one year, just wait till next offseason, tons of stud D-men in the FA market. Lets hope Sbisa gets traded or released due to his poor play by then. Corrado is decent, at least he has speed and has some skill in terms of lateral skating ability, remember that goal against Tampa Bay? Helllz yea!

Should of taken a flyer on Del Zotto when we could have - cap happy - and then just used him on the PP with protected minutes. Saw this topic and said yep in my head. We do not have of top tier, or good, or even average power play defenseman at all, in fact have never, ever had a real good one (unless you say Jeff Brown as a rental player, of Jovocop - but I am talking elite - for whatever time period they were in). Edler is not the answer, and never has been - despite some promise to that fact several years ago. So yes we need a good power play defenseman.

Our defense is suspsect for sure - Benning's done a decent job in changing the culture of our forward group the last year, but our defense hasn't moved much.

Lol, Edler can definitely play the PP. He tied for 30th in power play points amongst defenseman despite missing 8 games.

But yeah, GMJB should definitely sign Ehrhoff on a 1 year/2.5M deal and move him for assets at the deadline after he's pumped up his value on a Sedin PP.

I'd prefer to see him signed for 2-3 years and not traded at the deadline, instead trade Vrbata and Hammer. Reason being, he's not going to be standing in the way of any up and coming young stars for at least a couple of years, and we need someone to fill that role right now.

It's too bad that Tanev doesn't have a good shot. He has the vision and the patience, but his shot is not good enough to be considered a threat. Hopefully he works on his shooting in the off-season. He would make a good option then.

I really liked the look of Weber on the power play last season. Defensively he needs some work obviously. Being a smaller man, you have to play sound positioning and with poise in your own end (see Tanev). If he can take a step forward responsibly, we should use him more often in that role. Our PP grew stagnant mid season as teams began to shut down the twins and Vrbata's system. When they put Weber out there, all of a sudden it made the defence have to widen their box which left more room in front of the net. Look for that to continue into the year. The Sedin's are at their best when they have a dman with that heavy shot that can get through from the point.

We have no defenseman that can play on the powerplay besides weber but in the playoffs weber totally disappeared. I don't think edler can play the powerplay anymore because he's turned into a shut down d-man. Our powerplay was so successful in the past because we had erhoff and salo blasting pucks but they could also find the pass through sticks. Who do we pick up to improve the powerplay?

I'll answer your question with another question: how much do you think a defenceman who could improve our powerplay costs?

And a follow up question if I may: How much cap space or assets to be used in trade do we have that could get us said defenceman?

Hahaha omg man, clearly my joke flew a good 3-4 meters over your head. Hey maybe next time.

I googled this NHL15. I thought it had to do with the league having 15 teams, which it never did. If your humor went meters over some heads, it went yards over mine.

Lol, Edler can definitely play the PP. He tied for 30th in power play points amongst defenseman despite missing 8 games.

But yeah, GMJB should definitely sign Ehrhoff on a 1 year/2.5M deal and move him for assets at the deadline after he's pumped up his value on a Sedin PP.

You mean the Ehrhoff who was great on the PP here in Vancouver before but a disaster in our end of the rink? Quit living in the past, that Ehrhoff is 4 years older now and just coming of a dismal season. It is no accident that he has not been signed by anyone yet. JB needs to find a younger PP dman somewhere or we have to adapt our PP to what we have and utilize our strengths.

Archived