The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The best trade Benning never made

Me_

Every day that passes by, the Canucks get closer to a target they have missed. That target is prototypical power forward hometown NHL player Milan Lucic, who on June 26, was traded to the Los Angeles Kings for Martin Jones, Colin Miller and L.A.'s 1st round selection in 2015.

Here were the Boston Bruins under new management and after not making the playoffs, in a firing sale of its deemed expendable assets, retooling for the... sake of it.

Could the Canucks have afforded a deal for Lucic? Absolutely.

Do the Canucks have a Martin Jones in their system? Yes they do. His name is Jakob Markstrom. Markstrom is a year younger and an inch taller than Jones and his experience behind the pipes as a pro both at the AHL and NHL level are more extensive. The deal breaker might be that Markstrom's numbers in the NHL aren't that shiny, while Jones has shut the door for 56 minutes in the playoffs and carries a 1.99 GAA and 16 wins in 34 regular season games played. Nothing an extra rookie or pick wouldn't compensate in a deal.

Do the Canucks have a 22 year old rookie defenseman like Collin Miller in their system? Yes they do. Frank Corrado; a 22 year old 6 foot, 190 lbs right shot defenseman. That's 17 pounds and 28 games more than Miller has to his name.

How about that 1st pick?

That's where it gets a bit tricky. Boston received the 13th overall from Los Angeles and used it to draft 6'2" 185lbs Jakub Zboril from the QMJHL. In 44 games played, Zboril has 13 goals and 33 points. Benning could have surrendered the 23rd overall and perhaps sent an extra piece in the form of another prospect or pick Boston's way in order to equate the deal.

The thing with the Canucks is, draft picks can't come fast and often enough. Jim Benning's passion is at the draft table and making sure the organization keeps a flow of incoming, talented rookies is imperative to this organization's imminent winning future. In other words, there was no chance in hell Benning was going to surrender a 1st round pick in a draft most pundits saw as the strongest since 2005 that featured the likes of Crosby, Ryan, Price, Kopitar and Marc Staal.

The trick with Benning is, his entire system is based on drafting well and keeping an eye on every asset's development. That's why watching the Comets as soon as he could, evaluating each of Corrado, Markstrom and whatever rookie might have been traded to Boston, perform miracles of hearts for the city of Utica.

Corrado will be looked upon to make the jump to the NHL this season as a bottom pairing defenseman while Markstrom was extensively studied by Benning during the AHL's Comets' run to the Finals. After having shown the heart that makes the greats of the game what they are, Markstrom was deemed a better fit for the organization long-term, than Lack who was traded promptly thereafter.

The 23rd overall that the Canucks didn't surrender turned out to be heartthrob blondie Brok Boeser who has done nothing but shine at the US National Evaluation Cap where he was fast promoted to the 1st line. As a ceiling goes, Boeser can get as high as elite scorer in the NHL.

Out of a deal that wasn't made, the Canucks kept an elite goalie prospect, albeit with a bit of baggage to clean up, a top 6 defenseman with a right hand shot, a potential elite scorer to replace the looming scoring production cliff the retirement of the Sedins will create once they call it a career, and whatever other pieces that might have been required to secure a deal for Lucic.

For Lucic, it's another chance at the Cup. The good news is, unlike Sutter signing with the Canucks relatively fast after being traded, Lucic hasn't re-signed with Los Angeles, leading to speculation that he might actually be available for Vancouver to sign next summer. With Hamhuis and Vrbata already known to be on their way out, there will definutely be money on the tabe to secure Lucic's services.

Lucic cannot have missed out on the cries from British-Columbia upon the news that he was available. Fans, media outlets and most likely his own family who reside in hockey-mad Vancouver must have reached out to him, but for at least this year, Lucic will have to play for another team he doesn't call home. He will however, have an opportunity to play for Vancouver if he desires so, begining July 1st, 2016.

I believe that, behind the big lug's brawns lies a warm, passionate heart. A man who wants to fit in on the team he watched while growing up.

Could the Canucks have matched L.A.'s offer? Absolutely.

Should the Canucks have matched L.A.'s offer?

The answer is obvious.

Great post.

I like reading posts that are "anti-benning", so to speak, that are thought out. It gives a good perspective to what could have been.

That said, I am more than happy to keep Boeser, Corrado, Brisebois and a 7th over Lucic. You really upsell them in your article which doesn't help.

Nonetheless a good read.

I'm just looking forward to 5 or 6 picks in the top 60 come next July.

Vrbata and Hamhuis are easily worth a first at the deadline, combined with a top 10 pick of our own

That is if Benning trades Vrbata and Hamhuis? If we are in a position to make the playoffs there is no way Benning trades them. In that case we would lose them in the offseason for nothing.

Great post.

I was surprised JB was so into him, but if we got him for something like lack, Clendening, shinkaruk, Jensen - I would have been real happy with it but not for markstrom, corrado and Boesser + another asset.

Additionally, something that does not get talked about is this- if LA isn't an elite team this year (losing Willisms, voyonov), does Lucic really want to come into Vancouver more often over the years as an opponent on a hated team ? It's not like he will visit here once every 1-2 yrs, he may end up playing a 1st round series against us...

Just a thought.

2016 offseason

OUT:

Vrabata (5)

Hamhuis (4.5)

Higgins (2.5)

Prust (2.5)

Burrows (4.5)

Webber (1.5)

21.5 mill 6 players

IN:

Seabrook (7 mill)

Lucic ( 6.75mill)

Backes (6.75 mill)

Leaves 1 mill to spread out over a 4th line player and the cap hit of a young forward (Kenins 750,00, virtanen 900,00)

Sedin Sedin Backes

Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Beartschi Horvat Hansen

Kenins cassels Dorsett

Vey

Seabrook Tanev

Edler Corrado

Sbisa Bartiwski

Not to mention we should be able to get picks and prospects out of moving Vrbata, burrows, hammer.

That forward group is killer, d corps needs a more experienced 2nd pairing RD but maybe Corrado fills that spot well by next year.

2016 offseason

OUT:

Vrabata (5)

Edler (5)

Higgins (2.5)

Prust (2.5)

Burrows (4.5)

Webber (1.5)

Re-sign:

Hamhuis (3.5)

22 mill 6 players

IN:

Seabrook (7 mill)

Lucic (6.5 mill)

Backes (6.5 mill)

Leaves 3 mill to spread out over a 4th line player and the cap hit of a young forward (Kenins 750,00, virtanen 900,00)

Sedin Sedin Backes

Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Beartschi Horvat Hansen

Kenins cassels Dorsett

Vey

Seabrook Tanev

Hamhuis Corrado

Sbisa Bartiwski

Not to mention we should be able to get picks and prospects out of moving Vrbata, burrows, Edler.

That forward group is killer, d corps needs a more experienced 2nd pairing RD but maybe Corrado fills that spot well by next year.

Hamhuis at 3.5???? Not a chance, he could easily fetch 5-6mill in free agency. I say if he stays hell sign around the same dollars. And why get rid of Prust when we just acquired him? That would just look bad on Bennings part, basically giving away Kassian and a 2nd for nothing.

I won't disagree how awesome your proposed lineup is, its just a little wishful. Not to mention Horvat, Corrado etc. will be asking for raises in the future. I feel like the Canucks are in for a longer term rebuild that works its way slowly, but it will surely work eventually. Patience!!

Hamhuis at 3.5???? Not a chance, he could easily fetch 5-6mill in free agency. I say if he stays hell sign around the same dollars. And why get rid of Prust when we just acquired him? That would just look bad on Bennings part, basically giving away Kassian and a 2nd for nothing.

I won't disagree how awesome your proposed lineup is, its just a little wishful. Not to mention Horvat, Corrado etc. will be asking for raises in the future. I feel like the Canucks are in for a longer term rebuild that works its way slowly, but it will surely work eventually. Patience!!

It wouldn't be getting rid of prust. Just not re-signing him. His contract expires.

Good post, I changed it to us keeping Edler.

I'm just looking forward to 5 or 6 picks in the top 60 come next July.

Vrbata and Hamhuis are easily worth a first at the deadline, combined with a top 10 pick of our own

Lol playoff teams don't sell guys like Hammer and vrby.

Canucks will be deep in playoff contention as we were this year.

Markstrom, Corrado, Boeser, Brisebois, and Olsen for Lucic? Hell no.

That's a big chunk of our future for guy who is likely past his prime and doesn't even put us in a position to be a contender.

Next summer if we can sign him for fee then maybe.

Archived