The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The best trade Benning never made

Me_

2 scenarios you just mentioned.

If Lucic performs (ie. 60 points) LA will do Chicago style trades to get the cap to re-sign him.

If Lucic doesn't perform, we shouldn't be signing him any way.

I may be biased on the above, but time will tell.

"Chicago style" trades?

There aren't many players making big bucks on L.A. that are not either 1) essential to their success, or 2) completely immoveable (i.e.: Dustin Brown, Mike Richards...if his termination is overturned). Maybe Gaborik?

It's not like they have 2nd liners with big contracts that are still valued by other teams, like Campbell and Sharp. Maybe Martinez...but really, they need to add to their D, not subtract from it.

I'm just looking forward to 5 or 6 picks in the top 60 come next July.

Vrbata and Hamhuis are easily worth a first at the deadline, combined with a top 10 pick of our own

Unless the market next trade deadline radically changes, I doubt we'll get a first for Vrbata. Vrbata's playoff numbers from last year don't exactly scream clutch. A player at age 34 making $5 million. Only a bubble team, that's desperate for some offence, and has a ton of depth and capspace would throw out a 1st. More likely it would be a second.

As for Hamhuis, I can see a team like Tampa throwing a first round pick for him. Hamhuis in international and playoff history is a rock solid d-man, that pots in the odd goal. But that would be a late round 1st.

So the "hopeful" have resorted to praising benning for imaginary scenarios? I see.

Let me get this straight.... Benning's best move so far is not making a trade? I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't think a trade for Lucic was even possible, but it was 100% a bad idea to begin with. The only perk would have been the laughs generated. I think a UFA signing could still accomplish that, but does it happen? He's one of the most overpaid players in the NHL, end we'll have a lot of cap space ready to burn. Could be a fit. That's if he does ever want to play here though. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure it was Shink and our two firsts that Benning was willing to do, but Florida wanted Edler instead of Shink, which broke the deal.

ya that was right. I knew it was one of our 2013 1st rounders. Still

shink/edler, virtanen, and macann/boeser(idk if it said the 2nd 1st was in 2014 or 2015) for reinhart would be a terrible trade.

Again Benning opens his mouth about his players status going forward, other GM's will be preparing low ball offers for when the time comes. The best trade Benning shoud never do is keep his big fat yap shut.

I don't agree with that. Advertizing that a couple of players are available could garner some serious interest at the deadline.

The trade deadline is one date. But trades are worked out for quite a period of time before that date. By stating that they are available, teams will be able to "consider" such assets for their team going forward.

Comparatively, it seems that Gillis woud just come out with an anouncement and a set price; take it or leave it. It seems that most teams, having not had any time to work on a trade, would go on working on the trades that they had been working on up until the trade deadline.

if Hamhuis and Vrbata make it to the deadline and are in line for a trade, watch their value go right up, most likely into a 1st and a prospect.

Vancouver would then have 3 1sts and two more viable prospects that could make others expendable as well, including Burrows and Higgins.

2 scenarios you just mentioned.

If Lucic performs (ie. 60 points) LA will do Chicago style trades to get the cap to re-sign him.

If Lucic doesn't perform, we shouldn't be signing him any way.

I may be biased on the above, but time will tell.

Cool! You just found a lose/lose argument for the Canucks.

You must be a "riot" at parties...

Massage fans like me? the only thing he is massaging is his ego. Maybe keep some things close to your vest once in awhile. He said he had no quality offer for Kassian and still went ahead and royally screwed that up. What is he going to do if he can't get the proper deal for Hamhuis? sit and let him walk? more like package Hamhuis with a 2nd for a late round 1st.

Kassian screwed it up for Kassian.

2016 offseason

OUT:

Vrabata (5)

Hamhuis (4.5)

Higgins (2.5)

Prust (2.5)

Burrows (4.5)

Webber (1.5)

21.5 mill 6 players

IN:

Seabrook (7 mill)

Lucic ( 6.75mill)

Backes (6.75 mill)

Leaves 1 mill to spread out over a 4th line player and the cap hit of a young forward (Kenins 750,00, virtanen 900,00)

Sedin Sedin Backes

Lucic Sutter Virtanen

Beartschi Horvat Hansen

Kenins cassels Dorsett

Vey

Seabrook Tanev

Edler Corrado

Sbisa Bartiwski

Not to mention we should be able to get picks and prospects out of moving Vrbata, burrows, hammer.

That forward group is killer, d corps needs a more experienced 2nd pairing RD but maybe Corrado fills that spot well by next year.

Weber ain't moving, we need a D that can shoot the puck from the point. That and he's only 26. I think he'll be resigned with us. We're sorrily missing Salo in that department and Weber fits the bill. He's not that much of a cap hit either. Also Miller will be traded too freeing up an extra 6m.

Hamhuis at 3.5???? Not a chance, he could easily fetch 5-6mill in free agency. I say if he stays hell sign around the same dollars. And why get rid of Prust when we just acquired him? That would just look bad on Bennings part, basically giving away Kassian and a 2nd for nothing.

I won't disagree how awesome your proposed lineup is, its just a little wishful. Not to mention Horvat, Corrado etc. will be asking for raises in the future. I feel like the Canucks are in for a longer term rebuild that works its way slowly, but it will surely work eventually. Patience!!

Prust is a 32 year old rental to fill a spot for a year, that's it.

The eastern team play a more pond hockey style whereas the western teams play a more physical style. Lucic could be waiting to see how he likes playing with Los Angeles under Sutter before he signs. Los Angeles could also be in a bit of cap trouble depending what happens with the Mike Richards grievance. They may not be able to afford Lucic without moving assets. Benning was smart not to give up assets when he and Trevor can have a discussion about coming home, playing, and mentoring young players.

Great post Me_.

Benning was smart in waiting. It seems pretty clear that Lucic is on his radar and will more likely than not be coming to Vancouver.

I'm just not sure how I feel about this. From an emotional standpoint, I hate everything about this guy because he was on the team that beat us in Game 7.

Logically, he's a good fit for Bennings vision, but at what cost? The one thing that worries me so far during Bennings tenure is his contract negotiations. While I don't think he's chosing the wrong players necessarily, I will admit he seems not to have the upper hand during negotiations. But then, I'm not in the room and can't say how much of a pushover he is if that is indeed the case. I would hate to pay huge money long term for Lucic. I'd overpay for short term, but long term NTC (which is likely what Lucic would be after), the monetary terms would have to be very reasonable for me to consider it.

Lucic cannot have missed out on the cries from British-Columbia upon the news that he was available. Fans, media outlets and most likely his own family who reside in hockey-mad Vancouver must have reached out to him, but for at least this year, Lucic will have to play for another team he doesn't call home. He will however, have an opportunity to play for Vancouver if he desires so, begining July 1st, 2016.

I believe that, behind the big lug's brawns lies a warm, passionate heart. A man who wants to fit in on the team he watched while growing up.

Sounds like you're describing bigfoot Harry from Harry And The Hendersons.

Lucic is a classless, dirty player on the downside of his career. He would be a horrible influence on the young players on the Canucks roster and will eat a big chunk of cap space in the process. Signing him would be an awful decision and will be detrimental to this team now and in the future.

Archived