The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News Considers Markstrom And Demko 2 of the Best Goaltending Prospects In The World

SabreFan1

Trousers ? I thought I was old. You hit the nail on the head there but the thing that concerns me is that we are one injury away from "prospects" being our 1-2 in net (probably not Demko for #2 but another prospect all the same). Not very smart for a team that claims to want to compete for a playoff spot.

Seems that a lot of people around here would have been happy with that situation last season. :P

I think they would call up Backman -he's had NHL experience with Dallas and Edm. Could probably handle being backup for awhile.

Agreed with the calls for John Gibson.

Also think Kristers Gudlevskis should be on that list. Just last year stopped 55 of 57 Canadian Olympic team shots while playing behind a pretty weak Latvian defense, and he also quickly scaled the professional ranks as well. If not with Tampa I'm sure another team would take a flyer on him.

You didn't watch him in his playoff run?

His run or his actual Memorial Cup performance? getting there is one thing, $#itting the bed when you arrive is another.

I'll reserve further judgment after his first pro season in St. John's but for now, he has a lot still to prove.

Again, my opinion.

Should Markstrom be considered a prospect? He's already 25.

Not to mention that he's been playing pro hockey since 2010. Imo, the term 'prospect' should only be used for players with limited or no pro experience. Not exactly sure what to call him though since he's not a regular either yet?

If even one of Demko/Markstrom pans out to become a solid #1 ,we would be set for the next seven years or so....I agree with other posters here, that the omission of John Gibson on that top 5 list is glaring.

Does that omission mean the entire list should be tossed?

Not to mention that he's been playing pro hockey since 2010. Imo, the term 'prospect' should only be used for players with limited or no pro experience. Not exactly sure what to call him though since he's not a regular either yet?

Maybe he's still a prospect, because he is considered to have a lot more potential upside?

I like Demko and think was one of bennings only good moves or drafts. Marky i gave a hard time cause i loved Luu but is gonna be pretty good it looks like which makes every one ask what the heck was benning thinking singing bloody ryan siv miller. Like really plus a 3 year contract i cant understand. And not to bash poor old gillis cause is happend enough but we really could of got fucale or whatever his name is and we didnt. If he becomes the next Luu we will always say we could of had him but said no

Archived