The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News Considers Markstrom And Demko 2 of the Best Goaltending Prospects In The World

SabreFan1

Who cares about where each goalie should be? The fact that we have TWO even in the conversation is great news!

We only need one to pan out as a legit starter and we'll be set.

I just hope that if we end up having a Price/Halak situation that we make the right choice. I still remember Habs fans actually wanting to trade Price and keep Halak as their starter. Man they're lucky their GM made the smart choice.

Trousers ? I thought I was old. You hit the nail on the head there but the thing that concerns me is that we are one injury away from "prospects" being our 1-2 in net (probably not Demko for #2 but another prospect all the same). Not very smart for a team that claims to want to compete for a playoff spot.

That's actually going to be the story of our season.

Should one or both of hank or Danny get injured from our forwards, Miller or Hammer in net and on D.

What do we have this season?

A lot of people refuse to think about that but they also refuse to remember how often our D gets injured

Should one or both of hank or Danny get injured from our forwards, Miller or Hammer in net and on D.

A lot of people refuse to think about that but they also refuse to remember how often our D gets injured

That's true for any team though. You lose 3 or 4 of your top players and you're probably going to struggle.

Can't worry about injuries, they're part of the season. Just gotta hope that our depth guys can step up when it happens. Hopefully means a few of our guys in Utica get good opportunities to show their stuff this season.

What ever happened to Jack Campbell?

Same thing that happened to Brian Finley, Maxime Ouellet, Ari Ahonen, Brent Krahn, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Adam Munro, Hannu Toivonen, Al Montoya, Riku Helenius, Leland Irving...

Goalies are hard to project. Which is why they rarely go in the 1st round anymore.

Nobody remembers the WJC versus Russia where Demko really struggled? And then they got Fucale at no 2 who was more a liability than a strength in the WJC. This just goes to show that goalies are a different beast, hard to tell who will turn out to be a star or not.

1 game out of what 40 plus he will play in that season not apart of some quick tourney

i guess nobody remembers him keeping the USA in the game against Canada nearly stealing it for them

people use the WJC and Subway Super Series as actually games to know who will make the NHL forget that is a very small fraction of games these kids play

Nobody remembers the WJC versus Russia where Demko really struggled? And then they got Fucale at no 2 who was more a liability than a strength in the WJC. This just goes to show that goalies are a different beast, hard to tell who will turn out to be a star or not.

Does anybody remember the one game where Schneider struggled against San Jose? Or the one game he got lit up in Manitoba?

Nope me neither.

Doesn't mean anything. I can name my top 5 defensemen and have Sbisa at no.1 if i wanted to.

Yea, but that would be a horrible list and completely unrealistic.

This is a list compiled by an unbiased source that has two of our goalies in the top 5.

Just be happy about it and move on. Why try and discredit it? At the very least it's nice that two of our prospects are being recognized.

This is a list compiled by an unbiased source that has two of our goalies in the top 5.

Just be happy about it and move on. Why try and discredit it? At the very least it's nice that two of our prospects are being recognized.

Because anything positive about our team some around here don't want to hear it.

Same thing that happened to Brian Finley, Maxime Ouellet, Ari Ahonen, Brent Krahn, Dan Blackburn, Jason Bacashihua, Adam Munro, Hannu Toivonen, Al Montoya, Riku Helenius, Leland Irving...

Goalies are hard to project. Which is why they rarely go in the 1st round anymore.

Hey in Dan Blackburns defence, he was actually doing pretty well until he butchered his shoulder. Was so bad he couldn't rotate his glove hand. Actually tried to come back and played in the ECHL with two blockers.

blackburnblockers.jpg

Fun fact of the day.

There are a couple of notable omissions on a top-5...

...But even considering that, that, most would say we have two goalies in the top-10. And that is still pretty friggin' awesome.

Markstrom on a prospect list at 25 is pretty ridiculous

Because players past the age of 25 have never come into the NHL and made an impact? Lets not forget Schneider was still considered a prospect at age 25.

He was arguably the best goalie not playing in the NHL last season. I think that at least deserves some mention in the conversation for top 5.

I can see that. I'm pretty sure most hockey fans realize our goalie scouting is top notch in this league. Our defence and 3rd and 4th line building have been the issues. Once our goalies get to Vancouver and stand on their head, it's the fair-weather fans who knock down our reputation. We had Luongo for crying out loud, it still wasn't good enough for some of the fan-critics. Even Cory Schneider had those fair weather fans on this board. IMHO, Markstrom and Demko could be exciting to watch. I just hope the fans are patient.

What we would have is Matthews!

This is what a rebuild is all about. If there is injury then the youth fill in. It helps them develop and lets management see what they have.

They are trying to make the playoffs and trying to rebuild so either way it can be spun as a win.

Archived