The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suspect in Houston killings handcuffed 8 victims, then shot them, authorities say

hsedin33

Absolutely Brutal, most of them young children. :sadno:

----

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/10/us/houston-killings/index.html

(CNN)A suspect in the killing of eight people in Texas broke into their house and handcuffed the victims in their bedrooms -- then shot them, authorities said.

David Conley was charged with capital murder after deputies discovered the bodies of two adults and six children in their Houston-area home early Sunday.

Conley, 48, forcibly entered the home because the owners had changed their locks, authorities said.

His motive appears to be related to the mother of the children, who had a past relationship with him, Harris County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Tim Cannon said.

One -- and possibly two -- of the children killed might have been the suspect's, authorities said.

"Once again, a senseless tragedy has struck our community," Cannon said. "Our hearts go out to the family and friends of those lost."

Call for a welfare check

Late Saturday night a relative called authorities and asked them to perform a welfare check on the residence.

When deputies arrived at the scene, they knocked on the door, but no one showed up, said Thomas Gilliland, a spokesman for the sheriff's office.

Deputies surrounding the house saw a child's body through the window and entered the house.

The suspect allegedly fired at them, forcing them to pull back and wait for hostage negotiators and a unit that specializes in high-risk situations.

Hours of standoff

After hours of negotiations, authorities said they coaxed the suspect into coming out and arrested him.

They found a gruesome scene in the three-bedroom house.

"Upon entering into the home ... to check for the welfare for any other people in the house, the bodies of eight victims were found inside the residence," Gilliland said.

The victims were spread out in all bedrooms, shot to death, some multiple times, authorities said.

The victims' ages ranged from 6 to 50 and included a woman, her husband and six children, according to Cannon.

They are Valerie Jackson, 40, and Dwayne Jackson, 50. The children are Nathaniel, 13; Honesty, 11; Dwayne, 10; Caleb, 9; Trinity, 7; and Jonah, 6.

The spokesman said authorities have been called to the house before, but the nature of those calls was not immediately available.

The suspect

Conley has been charged with three counts of capital murder. Authorities said in such cases, one capital murder count includes multiple deaths.

He is being held in the Harris County Jail without bail.

I won't even make the "if they'd been armed joke" because I think by now everyone sees that as the f***ing joke it really is

I literally cannot open the news in any medium without reading about how some American has shot multiple people and sometimes them self in an act of rage.

If you don't want to ban guns fine. Then ban the damned bullets.

I won't even make the "if they'd been armed joke" because I think by now everyone sees that as the f***ing joke it really is

I literally cannot open the news in any medium without reading about how some American has shot multiple people and sometimes them self in an act of rage.

Banning a readily available product only gives money and power to criminals. Look at alcohol prohibition, look at the war on drugs, what Murica needs is way beyond me, but banning just won't work.

Maybe Murica's just crazy.. Craycray, nutso, Looney toons crazy.

Edit- Maybe the US gov should conspire with airline companies to mix sedatives and mind control drugs with jet fuel, then spray it all across America by burning the jet fuel in AIRPLANES; subsequently making the American people more like Canadians... MINDBLOWN!!!!

He will plead not-guilty due to reason of insanity. The tax payers in Houston will then spend millions of dollars on legal fees to prosecute him through the cost of lawyers/prosecutors, research teams, witnesses, judges, jury's, police time spent on the case, etc. It will take 3 years before a verdict is reached. Then, he will sit on death row for a decade (or longer), costing the tax payers hundreds of thousands of dollars more in food, housing, guards, etc. And during this time he will launch appeal after appeal, clogging up the courts and costing even more money. Finally, he will be sentenced to death where he will be given some anesthetic type medications and he will go unconscious and then die a pain-free death.

That's justice, apparently, for a guy who handcuffed scared and screaming children and then shot them in front of each other.

Yeah and while they're at it they should ban Meth and Heroine too.....

Banning a readily available product only gives money and power to criminals. Look at alcohol prohibition, look at the war on drugs, what Murica needs is way beyond me, but banning just won't work.

I have no major issue with guns personally but imo the problem with them in America as an American is they are to easy to get. Supply an demand still works on the black market and guns are so flooded on the market I can illegally buy one for under $100. In other words just about anyone can commit murder with a firearm an chuck it and have no legal trace back for as little as an average persons days work. It's a pretty cheap price to take a life. Where as with stricter laws the circulation is smaller and the price of guns on the black market rises significantly higher.

Plus keep in mind even legally someone like me could purchase automatic assault rifles where I live.

With that said I don't think this story has any relevance. This guy was clearly insane and I don't think the family having guns would have saved them. But as a whole I think gun violence would go down everyone couldn't get one for pocket change.

I have no major issue with guns personally but imo the problem with them in America as an American is they are to easy to get. Supply an demand still works on the black market and guns are so flooded on the market I can illegally buy one for under $100. In other words just about anyone can commit murder with a firearm an chuck it and have no legal trace back for as little as an average persons days work. It's a pretty cheap price to take a life. Where as with stricter laws the circulation is smaller and the price of guns on the black market rises significantly higher.

Plus keep in mind even legally someone like me could purchase automatic assault rifles where I live.

With that said I don't think this story has any relevance. This guy was clearly insane and I don't think the family having guns would have saved them. But as a whole I think gun violence would go down everyone couldn't get one for pocket change.

I have no major issue with grammar, personally, but IMO it's much easier to "get" what someone's saying when its rules are understood.

Edit- Maybe the US gov should conspire with airline companies to mix sedatives and mind control drugs with jet fuel, then spray it all across America by burning the jet fuel in AIRPLANES; subsequently making the American people more like Canadians... MINDBLOWN!!!!

Then you have to seriously reconsider that MANY people don't deserve to have weapons. Maybe not an outright ban on guns, but SERIOUS legislation on restrictions on obtaining firearms.

Of course, this will help the gun industry - and there will always be argument that bad guys will always have access to guns if they need it - but the current system as it is is simply broken.

Then you have to seriously reconsider that MANY people don't deserve to have weapons. Maybe not an outright ban on guns, but SERIOUS legislation on restrictions on obtaining firearms.

Of course, this will help the gun industry - and there will always be argument that bad guys will always have access to guns if they need it - but the current system as it is is simply broken.

I'm all for gun control Daz. My point was that banning g&a in the States won't do any good at all, they're way too deep to be pulled out, they need to be drugged, or put into a massive group therapy session. Banning only empowers criminal elements, especially when what's supposed to be banned is everywhere and not shelf dated.

They've got huge respect problems down there, and IMHO, that's what it all stems from. How is it that we can get all sorts of firearms here in Canada, yet gun violence is pretty much limited to scumbag on scumbag shootings?

Edit- and to your point: There aren't very MANY people whom I think "deserve" guns. Maybe, our proud men and women serving the country abroad and those that actaully hunt for food. List over

I'm all for gun control Daz. My point was that banning g&a in the States won't do any good at all, they're way too deep to be pulled out, they need to be drugged, or put into a massive group therapy session. Banning only empowers criminal elements, especially when what's supposed to be banned is everywhere and not shelf dated.

They've got huge respect problems down there, and IMHO, that's what it all stems from. How is it that we can get all sorts of firearms here in Canada, yet gun violence is pretty much limited to scumbag on scumbag shootings?

Edit- and to your point: There aren't very MANY people whom I think "deserve" guns. Maybe, our proud men and women serving the country abroad and those that actaully hunt for food. List over

While I absolutely agree with you, my post was more concerning the ongoing and endless cycle that perpetuates gun violence

As was pointed out the ease in which guns/ammo are purchased or obtained. there is really little in the way of checks balances let alone a viable plan to slow down.

Every day I turn on the news and a mass shooting has happened in the US. By at least stemming or acting to end the ease of gun/ammo sales it curtails those with little knowledge of or access outside of stores and trade shows leaving as you put it the criminal element.

It has to start somewhere man; because the cycle will eventually take them. And as their neighbor. I'm good. I don't want any of that party when it happens

When does the argument end though?

If a drunk driver hits someone should we ban vehicles?

When does the argument end though?

If a drunk driver hits someone should we ban vehicles?

From Wikipedia:

In countries such as the United Kingdom and Australia drunk driving and deaths caused by drunk driving are considerably lower than in the USA. Drunk driving deaths in the UK (population 61 million, 31 million cars) were 380 in 2010 (12% of all fatal accidents).[48][49] In California (population 36 million, 32 million cars) there were 1,489 deaths from traffic accidents related to "alcohol or other drugs" in 2007 (22% of all fatal accidents).[50][51] Alcohol consumption per capita in the UK and Australia is higher than in the USA and the legal age for drinking lower.[52]

Maybe it's about being smarter. In Canada, we have to keep firearms trigger locked, and unloaded. And legal firearms owners have to have a licence. Seems to have a massive difference between the US and Canada in terms of firearms deaths.

From Wikipedia:

In countries such as the United Kingdom and Australia drunk driving and deaths caused by drunk driving are considerably lower than in the USA. Drunk driving deaths in the UK (population 61 million, 31 million cars) were 380 in 2010 (12% of all fatal accidents).[48][49] In California (population 36 million, 32 million cars) there were 1,489 deaths from traffic accidents related to "alcohol or other drugs" in 2007 (22% of all fatal accidents).[50][51] Alcohol consumption per capita in the UK and Australia is higher than in the USA and the legal age for drinking lower.[52]

Maybe it's about being smarter. In Canada, we have to keep firearms trigger locked, and unloaded. And legal firearms owners have to have a licence. Seems to have a massive difference between the US and Canada in terms of firearms deaths.

You are absolutely correct.

I have no major issue with grammar, personally, but IMO it's much easier to "get" what someone's saying when its rules are understood.

Dude, really... I think it's kind of funny how you went to your original post and edited it at the same time you made this comment in all likelihood to fix whatever grammatical errors you may have made.

But anyway..

I like your post. I think increasing the cost and having stricter gun laws would make a difference. In your opinion, do you think there is a perception issue with firearms in the US? For instance, like where guns are cheap, easy to get, and not regulated, people may interpret that as them not being a big deal or not really worthy of certain respect. It seems like the culture of guns perpetuates quite an aggressive sense of entitlement at times.

Ban Guns:

1 in 5000 people (criminals) who have illegal guns, can kill MANY innocent people who do not - due to ban.

Teach and Distribute Guns:

5000 in 5000 people own guns, 1 criminal starts shooting, 4999 people available to shoot back.

Ban Guns:

1 in 5000 people (criminals) who have illegal guns, can kill MANY innocent people who do not - due to ban.

Teach and Distribute Guns:

5000 in 5000 people own guns, 1 criminal starts shooting, 4999 people available to shoot back.

The bad guy isn't surrounded by 5000 good guys. Its most often one mentally unstable individual who surprises a bunch of people who have no chance to fight back, then usually kills himself in a fit of psychosis or surrenders himself when he has calmed down/accomplished his task. The entire reason for having better restrictions is to make sure mentally unstable people who might use a gun on innocent people don't have easy access to a gun, that's all. I don't see what is so hard for people to understand about this. Usually the 'criminals' are just people who are messed up in the head, had a bad upbringing, have been brought up in a bad circumstance, or made a poor decision in a moment of rage. Does anyone seriously want these people to have guns readily at their disposal? There aren't many repeat serial 'mass shooters', it's usually someone who has one big 'go' and then is put down one way or another when the authorities arrive.

Archived