The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Addesa and the State of Racism in the NHL

Toews

Like Benning said....this man made a mistake 30 yrs ago... get over it.

He is hired to scout......period!!

At least from the article it says there is no record of him ever apologizing or owning up to the "mistake".

OneCanuck-

Pretty shameful reporting on a few counts:

1. You failed to mention that the leading explanation of the "racial comments" by Adessa was that he was paraphrasing what the 3 players involved were saying on the bench that day - they were calling him a racist? For not playing them maybe - this is one of the controversial parts of the story - what was actually said and who said it and in what context-You didn't explain this

2. Because the article you poached from (nice cut and past journalism) has a quote that is grammatically incorrect, it is actually incredibly difficult to understand what the racial slurr even was and how Townsend described it. This leaves the reader confused as to what you are even writing about. Are you just writing about a guy you heard was racist or are you writing about a controversial incident over a very particular comment - one is slander the other is an important news story; you wrote the former

3. Finally- in all of your research you failed to discuss the fact that Adessa has coached black players since with no issues that have been brought to the publics attention.

So what you did was paint a bias picture of a guy you don't know, a characature really and ignored the fundamentals of journalism- facts!

1) A locker room full of people heard his comments and leaked it and there is an account from a player that Addesa uttered a racial slur.

2) Not too sure what you are referring to, perhaps its what an earlier poster said about CDC's filter.

3) I don't understand, the article says he hasn't coached since and has instead worked as a scout for multiple years. Perhaps you can clarify.

And just as importantly, why was this never a national news story when he was employed by the Wings for 15 years ?

Is it a national story? I thought this was just a random blogger.

25yr old dirt is about as irrelevant as it gets. What a strrrrrrrrreeeeeeetch for 'news' here I gotta say.

So how long does it take before racial slurs become irrelevant?

I think this should be locked

Why?

This, and no one was lambasting the Red Wings for having him as a scout for 15 years, so why should it be anything we care about here if he's not doing racist things anymore? Maybe he is racist, but if he is he's keeping it to himself.

Pretty much, even if he wasn't in Detroit scouting, you'd think someone would have caught wind of this and been outraged if he really was an issue.

Kind of a terrible article, by the way.

I came across it today, and obviously a Canucks fan wrote the article so their is some concern on their part over the hiring of an employee with a controversial background. Its a shame that Detroit fans/media chose to ignore this. The problem with ignoring this problem is it may snowball into something worse. Just look at the NBA and the Sterling situation. Of course Sterling had a history of this sort of ignorance but it just illustrates the point that ignoring something like this is not the solution.

So Detroit media and fans chose to ignore this or probably didn't do their due diligence in looking into the employees the team hired. Why should Canucks fans/media do the same?

Craig MacTavish killed some girl while driving drunk.

But this...oh, this is much worse. This is almost as bad as that guy who kicked his dog in the elevator. Neither should ever work again, no matter how good they are at their gobs. Where's my pitchfork?!?

Not too sure what relevance MacT has in this thread. He isn't a Canucks employee but feel free to make a thread about him if you wish to do so.

At least from the article it says there is no record of him ever apologizing or owning up to the "mistake".

1) A locker room full of people heard his comments and leaked it and there is an account from a player that Addesa uttered a racial slur.

2) Not too sure what you are referring to, perhaps its what an earlier poster said about CDC's filter.

3) I don't understand, the article says he hasn't coached since and has instead worked as a scout for multiple years. Perhaps you can clarify.

Why?

I came across it today, and obviously a Canucks fan wrote the article so their is some concern on their part over the hiring of an employee with a controversial background. Its a shame that Detroit fans/media chose to ignore this. The problem with ignoring this problem is it may snowball into something worse. Just look at the NBA and the Sterling situation. Of course Sterling had a history of this sort of ignorance but it just illustrates the point that ignoring something like this is not the solution.

So Detroit media and fans chose to ignore this or probably didn't do their due diligence in looking into the employees the team hired. Why should Canucks fans/media do the same?

Not too sure what relevance MacT has in this thread. He isn't a Canucks employee but feel free to make a thread about him if you wish to do so.

mactavish WAS a canucks employee a few short years ago. did you make a thread about it then?

anyway, an out of context racist comment made before most people here were born that this guy has atoned for is moot.

if it's a hangup for you, you have the problem, not mike adessa.

Why?

No, the only "shame" is on the "fans" that actually think this is worth attention.

25 years ago, a guy said something he shouldn't have, and paid for it with his job. Life goes on.

In fact, I bet most African Americans who read this story will see the price he paid, and feel vindicated that justice was done ages ago. I bet the teens he said the slur to feel the same. And quite often, someone who has made a terrible mistake that went public, and then worked to overcome it, has developed more character and sensitivity than the people who haven't (yet) had to deal with such. They have learned their lesson, and can be a more powerful force for good than someone without the experience.

But instead, we have "keyboard warriors" dredging up the reports as if they happened last week, and thinking this is some terrible crime that should hang over this man's head for another 25 years. That's just ridiculous, and a clear indication that you are someone with no life experience, who doesn't know jack about squat.

No, the only "shame" is on the "fans" that actually think this is worth attention.

25 years ago, a guy said something he shouldn't have, and paid for it with his job. Life goes on.

In fact, I bet most African Americans who read this story will see the price he paid, and feel vindicated that justice was done ages ago. I bet the teens he said the slur to feel the same. And quite often, someone who has made a terrible mistake that went public, and then worked to overcome it, has developed more character and sensitivity than the people who haven't (yet) had to deal with such. They have learned their lesson, and can be a more powerful force for good than someone without the experience.

But instead, we have "keyboard warriors" dredging up the reports as if they happened last week, and thinking this is some terrible crime that should hang over this man's head for another 25 years. That's just ridiculous, and a clear indication that you are someone with no life experience, who doesn't know jack about squat.

:lol:

It would seem that the person who wrote this article has never said or done anything they wish they could take back. People also seem to forget that 25 years ago things were a lot different. There wasn't as much acceptance and equality in the world. That being said, there is no excuse for what he did. It was a mistake but people deserve forgiveness.

Why?

Toews- what's wrong with u man? Read in depth on the guy for 5-10 min

The comments were leaked yes, Adessa was paraphrasing what the players were saying and yes he did use inappropriate terms but what was actually meant is controversial

He has been coaching the Boston bulldogs on and off for like 10 yrs

Or, OR, Detroit and their fans checked on the facts and chose to employ him for 15 years when they found it to be a non-issue. But now some random Canucks blogger picks it up and decides it's the worst thing since unsliced bread and it should be an issue?

You sound like the kind of person who wouldn't hire someone who's been to jail for a minor charge but has completely reformed (or, you know, it was only a minor charge) and which happened decades ago.

"But, that joint I got caught with in college isn't representative of who I am now!"

"Take your resume and get out."

But let me state it a second time for you: if he's no longer racist, why does what happened 25 years ago matter?

owned9ep.jpg

25 years ago, the Rodney King incident hadn't even happened yet. Bit of a different world we had back then. I agree with the bolded remark, too.

Very different times. I would suggest for some people to go and read the history book about what was going on in those days. It was a stupid mistake and people have moved on, except for a blogger and a few keyboard warriors

Yeah, that one surprised me, even given the low standard of reporting one generally expects from a blog post.

I'd have to say that the following is the most shocking quote from the entire blog:

To the best of our knowledge. There is no available record of Addesa’s apology and press conference.

http://onecanuck.com/2015/08/07/mike-addesa-state-racism-nhl/

Really? There's no available record? Hmm...

Maybe I'll try googling "Adessa apology" and see what comes up:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19890310&id=nM9KAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mOkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4943,2293703&hl=en

And here's a "snip" taken from the above link (which is to an online copy of The Schenectady Gazette - Mar 10, 1989):

addesa%20apology_zps4m8mmumy.jpg

So that wasn't too hard to find. First page result from a simple Google search.

But the blogger decides that there's "no available record" of an apology from Addesa.

And then uses this assumption to justify comments like this:

really only one conclusion to be drawn: Addesa is either unbelievably racist, incredibly ignorant, or both.

:sadno:

Yeah, that one surprised me, even given the low standard of reporting one generally expects from a blog post.

I'd have to say that the following is the most shocking quote from the entire blog:

Really? There's no available record? Hmm...

Maybe I'll try googling "Adessa apology" and see what comes up:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1917&dat=19890310&id=nM9KAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mOkMAAAAIBAJ&pg=4943,2293703&hl=en

And here's a "snip" taken from the above link (which is to an online copy of The Schenectady Gazette - Mar 10, 1989):

addesa%20apology_zps4m8mmumy.jpg

So that wasn't too hard to find. First page result from a simple Google search.

But the blogger decides that there's "no available record" of an apology from Addesa.

And then uses this assumption to justify comments like this:

:sadno:

With that, I'm shutting this down.

Archived