The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Interesting insight into how Brandon Prust sees his role.

alfstonker

Except Dorsett played way over his career average last season, as Prust likely will this season as well.

Not sure what your talking about but in the past 5 years this would be his second lowest ATOI. His ATOI is between 11- 15 mins the last five years and prusts is 12-14 mins.

Officiating in the NHL is crap and inconsistent. Its a totally different system for the regular season vs. playoffs. Actually its even different between teams, individual games, and referees. If refereeing was consistent, then there's not need for enforcers to "police" the game. Just call a penality if there is an illegal hit, and make these plays reviewable, so that coaches can challenge if in doubt. If players fight, then automatic 1 game ban. I dont' think enforcers really "like" to fight, but they are forced to because the refs can't get the job done. Its unfairs for players who are put in a position where they are forced to fight because of "the code". Players are human too, and fighting puts them at an unnecessary risk for injury both physically and mentally.

Be clear, fighting isn't down because players don't want to fight anymore, it's down because American TV executives are running the NHL as much as the owners are practically.

Are you implying that it's not right that hockey is managed like entertainment? Is hockey more than entertainment?

Honestly, the trade with Kassian still stings, and if Kassian becomes the powerforward next year and nabs 35 point than no matter what Prust does it will never come close to Kassian because the fans will be watching Kassian's production closely. We know what Prust is going to give us, a couple of heroic blocks, some hits, some penalties, some penalty kills, some goals, but if Kassian turns into the power-forward oh boy oh boy,then Prust will have a tough time in Vancity.

In short, if Kassain stumbles next year than Prust can be the hero otherwise tough luck and good-luck filling those shoes. Personally, I don't see Kassian stumbling next year, I see him nabbing 30+ points for Montreal.

Your usually in lala land, but your pretty dead on with this.

Honestly, the trade with Kassian still stings, and if Kassian becomes the powerforward next year and nabs 35 point than no matter what Prust does it will never come close to Kassian because the fans will be watching Kassian's production closely. We know what Prust is going to give us, a couple of heroic blocks, some hits, some penalties, some penalty kills, some goals, but if Kassian turns into the power-forward oh boy oh boy,then Prust will have a tough time in Vancity.

In short, if Kassain stumbles next year than Prust can be the hero otherwise tough luck and good-luck filling those shoes. Personally, I don't see Kassian stumbling next year, I see him nabbing 30+ points for Montreal.

The bottom line is, they tried to trade Kassian and couldn't get anything for him. Whatever was going on with him behind closed doors was obviously something management wasn't willing to deal with anymore. They were willing to dump him for nothing rather than keep him around, that tells you all you need to know.

As for Kassian breaking out in Montreal and putting up 35 points, that's great for him if he does. That means nothing for the Canucks though, because they did everything they could to try and get that out of him and failed. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. If they kept him here there's no guarantee they wouldn't have seen more of the same from him. Sometimes it takes a change of scenery to spark a player.

I'm not too worried that we let that elusive powerforward get away either. With guys like Virtanen, Grenier, and Gaunce coming up through the system, any one of them could bring as much as Kassian, which wasn't much in his time in Vancouver. These guys play the way the Canucks wanted Kassian to play. I'll take any one of them over a guy that admittedly said he "could have brought more here".

As for people comparing Prust to Kassian, you're wasting your time doing that. Management didn't bring Prust in to be the top 6 powerforward that they were hoping Kassian could be here. They brought him in to fill the role that they asked Kassian to fill at a bare minimum. He couldn't even be a consistent 4th line energy guy though. When it comes down to it, it shouldn't be a Kassian vs Prust comparison, it's about getting a player that we needed, and dumping one that really didn't find a consistent role in our lineup.

The bottom line is, they tried to trade Kassian and couldn't get anything for him. Whatever was going on with him behind closed doors was obviously something management wasn't willing to deal with anymore. They were willing to dump him for nothing rather than keep him around, that tells you all you need to know.

As for Kassian breaking out in Montreal and putting up 35 points, that's great for him if he does. That means nothing for the Canucks though, because they did everything they could to try and get that out of him and failed. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. If they kept him here there's no guarantee they wouldn't have seen more of the same from him. Sometimes it takes a change of scenery to spark a player.

I'm not too worried that we let that elusive powerforward get away either. With guys like Virtanen, Grenier, and Gaunce coming up through the system, any one of them could bring as much as Kassian, which wasn't much in his time in Vancouver. These guys play the way the Canucks wanted Kassian to play. I'll take any one of them over a guy that admittedly said he "could have brought more here".

As for people comparing Prust to Kassian, you're wasting your time doing that. Management didn't bring Prust in to be the top 6 powerforward that they were hoping Kassian could be here. They brought him in to fill the role that they asked Kassian to fill at a bare minimum. He couldn't even be a consistent 4th line energy guy though. When it comes down to it, it shouldn't be a Kassian vs Prust comparison, it's about getting a player that we needed, and dumping one that really didn't find a consistent role in our lineup.

That elusive power forward will sign here next July and show the youngins how it's really done.

Still want someone that can be in the top 6 or top 4 that is a true heavyweight.

I like how Lucic fights, he doesn't "ask" players to fight, he just grabs them and starts pounding (something we've really lacked the last few years)

This gave me black and white Vietnam flashbacks of Bieksa going after Ferkland.

Something tells me Lucic on this team would not go as well as people are expecting.

The league will try and tame him like they've tamed every one of our guys that try to play with an edge over the years.

I'll be fine with a year of Lucic, but 6 years at 7 mil? Why go old and slow? i really hope Vrtanen makes it a moot point by the end of the year, wishful as it may be.

Rypien used to just rag doll him and I remember ryp always complaining on how he just wanted to hang on and not throw any punches.

Prust got in a lot of punches from what I see. Not too many could stand up to Ryp's mad dog punching style like that.

Prust isn't going to see much comparible to ol' Rick in the current NHL.

Then what the hell are the refs getting paid for?

Couldn't tell ya...

I'm not quick to throw Kassian under the bus just because management decided to deal him. I'll bet you anything if he was still in Canuck colors your tone would be a lot different. I'm not happy that management gave up on him especially at the time that they did. He had some issues off the ice, clearly, but so does almost every young player around his age. Just thank your lucky stars he was no Ryan O'reilly. The upside he has was good enough for me to wait for him another year or 2 if he needs. Powerforwards take a time to develop but if you're patient and they end up reaching their potential then look out.

That said, I am happy Prust is playing on the team. I love what he brings to the table and the fact that he can help Dorsett when he needs it.

10-12 mins. No. More like 5-9 minutes realistically

Your Kassian avatar explains the bad math.

But just in case, you DO know that Torts was fired, right?

And that he was replaced by this guy named Willie Desjardins? A guy who actually USES his '4th'line?

Something tells me Lucic on this team would not go as well as people are expecting.

The league will try and tame him like they've tamed every one of our guys that try to play with an edge over the years.

Agreed. In fact I doubt if Linden would want to go down the Lucic road. The guy has no class and therefor by definition does not fit the model Linden is using to rebuild the Canucks. Take away Lucic's fighting and you are left with a pretty average type of player.

Archived