The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will better numbers this year for us?

Bo Bo 53

Who will have better numbers this year?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys theres been a lot of discussion about trading Lack but this thread is not about that is about which of are two remaining goalies will do better this year? Like save pctg. And also i guess goals against and shutouts and wins/losses?

I think will be Marky

The PITB guys (who were very bearish on Ryan Miller all through last season) put up a great piece detailing Miller's in-depth stats and arguing that they indicate an excellent goaltender who simply struggled with some technical changes he was trying to make on perimeter shots: http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2015/06/24/the-case-for-ryan-miller/

The TL;DR version is this: Ryan Miller was 8th in the league in SV% on high-danger shots (shots between the faceoff dots, below the hash marks). His high-danger SV% was in fact the second highest total of his career - second only to his Vezina-winning season.

What dragged his SV% down, then, were his medium- and low-danger SV% numbers. These were exceptionally bad - around 40th in the league among goaltenders who played enough minutes. For a veteran starter to struggle this mightily with easy saves is a total anomaly - one that I don't think will repeat this year.

The knock on Ryan Miller last year was that he seemed to make the toughest saves with ease, yet inexplicably let the easy shots elude him. The numbers bear this out. This can be explained by Miller making significant changes to his technique on these shots (incorporating the reverse-VH, for example) which is a process which takes time and repetition. As Miller was carrying the bulk of the starts, he had less time to work on technique with the goalie coach. But he has now had a full season and an offseason to work on them.

I'm going on the record here: I think Ryan Miller is going to have a great year in 15-16: 30+ wins, top-10 in GAA and SV% and 8+ shutouts.

I hope Markstrom lives up to the faith Jim Benning has in him, but for now, I think the net is in good hands with Ryan Miller.

^^^ Those were interesting stats bassboy4......I saw them a while ago. Interesting Lack did well on low and medium danger shots and so so on high danger shots.(as you would expect)

I think Miller's low save % was skewed a little last year because he had a few really bad games.

I went back and found Millers regular season game by game record on ESPN.

# Goals

Against # Games

0 7* * the game he was injured in was a shut out but Miller only played 20:58 so is not

1 7 scored as a shut out on Millers' stats

2 10

3 6

4 6

5 8

6 1

^^^ Those were interesting stats bassboy4......I saw them a while ago. Interesting Lack did well on low and medium danger shots and so so on high danger shots.(as you would expect)

I think Miller's low save % was skewed a little last year because he had a few really bad games.

I went back and found Millers regular season game by game record on ESPN.

# Goals

Against # Games

0 7* * the game he was injured in was a shut out but Miller only played 20:58 so is not

1 7 scored as a shut out on Millers' stats

2 10

3 6

4 6

5 8

6 1

Miller let in 4+ goals in 15 of his 45 starts? Just going on my recollection, I would have said that that number would be more in the 11 games or 25% of his starts (as opposed to 33.3% of his starts). That actually shocks me that the frequency of "bad" games, even though it's only 4 more games than what I thought they would be are as high as they were.

IMO, for the Canucks to have a legit shot at making the playoffs this coming season, Miller is going to have to start 60 games, and have no more than 12 starts where he lets in 4 goals and/or more...10 starts max at 3 goals against and 38 starts at 2 or less goals. Unless we get this kind of production out of Miller, it's going to be early tee times.

I can see Markstrom giving the Canucks 22 starts...GAA of say 2.75 or 60 goals against...and a .500 W-L-OTL/SOL record.

If we get this kind of tending, the Canucks should have a 98 point season which should give them a shot at making the playoffs.

Archived