The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sami Salo retiring

thejazz97

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/sami-salo-officially-announces-his-retirement-needs-another-wrist-surgery/

In early July, rumors surfaced that Sami Salo had played his final game in the NHL. Now, the 40-year-old defenseman has confirmed those rumors, adding that his nagging wrist injury is what has cost him a final season.

Salo last played in the 2013-14 season with Tampa Bay, but missed the final two games of the regular season with an upper-body injury. He again missed time during the Lightning’s four-game defeat at the hands of the Canadiens that season, missing the final two games of Montreal’s series sweep.

Salo confirmed to Ilta-Sanomat, a Finnish newspaper, that he could no longer play in the NHL. “Hand is what it is,” Salo said. “(I am) no longer able to play. Not hockey, not tennis. At least not as a professional.”

The veteran defenseman had wrist surgery previously, but the hope was it was healed enough to not require further surgery. Salo told Ilta-Sanomat that’s not the case, however, and that he will have to go under the knife once again.

Throughout his career, Salo was often injured, never once playing a full season. Even in the lockout shortened campaign — a 48-game season in 2012-13 — Salo missed two games. Over his 15-year career, Salo played 878 games and scored 339 points. It’s a shame he won’t be back for at least one more season, however, as he’s sitting on the cusp of 100 career goals — he will retire with 99.

Salo was one of the best late-round picks of the 1996 draft, and waited until the ninth round, 239th overall pick to hear his name called by the Ottawa Senators. The third-last pick in the draft, Salo has played more games than all but 13 players drafted in 1996 and retires as the 12th highest scoring player taken in the draft. He’s even ahead of 1996 first-overall selection Chris Phillips, who was also selected by the Senators.

With a booming shot from the point, Salo was an incredible weapon on the power play, having four seasons in which he scored more than six goals with the extra man. His best year came when he blasted home nine power play goals in 2005-06 with the Vancouver Canucks. Salo’s years with the Canucks were some of the best of his career. While in Vancouver, Salo posted career highs of 14 goals and 37 points, all the while being a 20-plus minute defenseman on a nightly basis.

That's too bad he never won a Cup... here's to a great recovery and a happy retirement, Sami. Gonna miss seeing that slapshot.

I'm usually not a fan of patronage signings for sentimental value, but I'm all for the Canucks signing Sami Salo for one day so that he can retire as a Canuck.

My lasting memories of Sami are his booming shot...his fearlessness...his ability to seal off players with his size...and his maturity/leadership.

He will always be respected for the way he called out the punks on team at the time (Kesler and Burrows and O'Brien) without naming names for their 'childish' (his words) antics on the ice after the Canucks got bounced out by the 'hawks in 2010 (and good on Kesler and Burrows for respecting Salo enough to man up after those comments).

IMO, Sami was a huge part of the leadership group during the Gillis era.

A fully-healthy Sami Salo, in his prime, would be a $6.5m player in today's NHL. He'd be a 50pt + producer, puck mover, PP quarterback. Such a shame injuries curtailed a fine career. We were lucky to have him.

Good run for the Finnish Mcinnis.

He could have been even more special than he was if it hadn't been for the injuries.

Great player, obviously very passionate to come back from injury so many times.

I hope he finally has time to heal up.

A fully-healthy Sami Salo, in his prime, would be a $6.5m player in today's NHL. He'd be a 50pt + producer, puck mover, PP quarterback. Such a shame injuries curtailed a fine career. We were lucky to have him.

Ummnnnn...in his "prime" his best season was 37 points.....

Salo is top 3 of my favourite Canuck defencemen.

Balls of steel.

Yup mine too...

I've got ohlund juice salo

I still remember my first canucks game I went to... Was shortly after the trade and he was on the cover of the program. What a warrior.

Was it his point shot that got disallowed on the PP because tuzzi was infront of kipper and then next faceoff, they ran the exact same play and boom instant hockey God's justice? Or was it someone else? I just remember tuzzi and kipper part of it

Archived