The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

25 years ago...

aeromotacanucks

Interesting, the whole time I was reading your story a guy with a Spanish accent was narrating in my head.

Quite a story

Haha, me too...and I laughed when I read this.

What a great post, Rodrigo. Because I've lived a very sheltered life here, without any travel or worldly experience, I soak up every word of stories like this to get a little glimpse. The pictures are stunning...what a beautiful place! Even with the turmoil that you know of it, the landscape and natural beauty is magnificent. My cousin married a woman from Brazil and I also get a view from that side as well. Some exposure to the culture and many pictures from their visits when she goes "home". (She is a feisty, strong woman).

Your mother's story is similar to mine, and I commend her for taking charge and providing a better life for you. It is tough being a woman in a man's world and trying to navigate through on your own. I know this, first hand...the stigma of being on your own with children is trying at times. People often look at us as failures vs successes.

Sad to hear of this location racism and one day I hope we live in a world where none of that ridiculous stuff matters...where we're simply accepted by one another and all that matters is that we're good people. That people don't judge us based on anything beyond how we treat them. And even then, that we look at why and have empathy for those who display anger or an inability to trust...that we know it's often rooted in pain and that there is good there behind that wall. That we try to break it down vs build it up further.

I truly enjoyed this....thank you. We all interact here on a regular basis and it's nice to get to know the people behind the user names.

Haha, me too...and I laughed when I read this.

What a great post, Rodrigo. Because I've lived a very sheltered life here, without any travel or worldly experience, I soak up every word of stories like this to get a little glimpse. The pictures are stunning...what a beautiful place! Even with the turmoil that you know of it, the landscape and natural beauty is magnificent. My cousin married a woman from Brazil and I also get a view from that side as well. Some exposure to the culture and many pictures from their visits when she goes "home". (She is a feisty, strong woman).

Your mother's story is similar to mine, and I commend her for taking charge and providing a better life for you. It is tough being a woman in a man's world and trying to navigate through on your own. I know this, first hand...the stigma of being on your own with children is trying at times. People often look at us as failures vs successes.

Sad to hear of this location racism and one day I hope we live in a world where none of that ridiculous stuff matters...where we're simply accepted by one another and all that matters is that we're good people. That people don't judge us based on anything beyond how we treat them. And even then, that we look at why and have empathy for those who display anger or an inability to trust...that we know it's often rooted in pain and that there is good there behind that wall. That we try to break it down vs build it up further.

I truly enjoyed this....thank you. We all interact here on a regular basis and it's nice to get to know the people behind the user names.

ok let´s go Deb :)

1st bold:

boy how many people in BC are married with Brazilians? maybe just to balance the thing I should marry a Canadian woman B)

from what city your cousin´s wife came from? (in Brazil)

2nd bold:

actually the real story is much darker and sad...

I made a very short version to share with the people...

my "dad" doesn´t deserve being called "dad". years passed and yet he didn´t learn how be resbonsible even with 60 years old. he´s still a damm stupid f#¨$%er who thinks that drink a lot and play soccer is more important than raise a family.

3rd bold:

actually this is cultural in some regions here and it´s caused during the colonisation period where the Portuguese Kingdom gave gigantic areas to a number of families. some of them reaching the size of of BC...

with the time each region developed it´s own culture like an independent country inside a larger one sharing a common language but with internal dialects. especially in the north (jungle) where the comunication with the rest of the country took a LONG time...

SO this is the result now. that´s why Brazilians don´t care very much about skin colour but you can see huge diferences between a person from Rio de Janeiro and a person from Manaus, for example...

that´s why move from a city to another city here can be intense...

and yet Air Canada didn´t allow me to bring coffee when I went to Canada saying that "the Canadian custom wouldn´t allow"

I wanted to bring to the people there a premium coffee where I payed US$10 (R$33) for a 5kg box but AC said I couldn´t bring there because the customs would confiscate. So I had to give the premium coffee to my brother-in-law...

Archived