The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Defense Looking Up

Me_

1st and two 2nd's for Shattenkirk? Am I doing this right, Don Sweeney?

Honestly our D-prospect pool is, for lack of better words, lacking. Sure, Hutton and Tryamkin do look promising but as of yet it's tough to say if they have blue-chip potential. Top-4 guys are solid and it'd do for now but most of the other "prospects" (even Brisebois, Subban) are more project guys and it'd take some major development for them to even get a sniff at an NHL role, let alone one in the top-4.

Quality >>>>>>>>>> quantity and I'd rather the team bottom out for a short time, then draft a blue-line stud (i.e. no more taking wingers with high picks) rather than piecing together veterans like we've been doing. It's a tough line to walk between staying competitive and building for the future and, short of selling vets to get needed assets or somehow trading for one from another cap-constrained team, it rarely gets done.

I totally agree that the D prospect pool is lacking but the forward prospects are looking pretty good and there's 15m+ of cap space next year from pending UFAs. Also, in the fast moving NHL, things change really quickly esp now that offer sheet threats/RFA trading is becoming a trend. Every team seems to have missing holes and/or the inability to keep their depth.

I definitely agree on quality vs. quantity. Reality is if the Dman drafted isn't top 5, he's most likely going to be average anyway. I doubt that the Canucks can tank enough to get a top 5 pick if they don't trade the Sedins. I think stockpiling up on centre, power forward and goalie prospects strengthens that area and gives surplus assets for a trade. A UFA signing would be nice but I'm counting that out since most teams will extend or trade to a team that will.

A Brent Seabrook free agent splash or a Dougie Hamilton-like trade would change things in a hurry.

I dont think a brent seabrook signing improves our team, he is on the downswing now.

A Dougie esque trade would be massive

I dont think a brent seabrook signing improves our team, he is on the downswing now.

A Dougie esque trade would be massive

The good thing about signing Seabrook would be getting him without trading giving up assets. But I agree, a Dougie Hamilton-esque trade would be massive and what I foresee. Unlike with forwards, one top D will totally make or break the D corps. A group with an elite #1, Edler and Tanev (assuming they don't get moved for the #1 Dman) would be great. Seems like solid #5 and 6 D are nice to haves but not necessary for cup winning. Drafted D can be used to fill those roles at low cap hits.

I'm good with Benning focusing on upgrading C, forwards, and goaltending first then making his move later for a stud Dman.

I find it curious that they were very anxious to get Sbisa locked up for more than a couple seasons citing the lack of quality D in our system and yet seem to have no urgency whatsoever to resign Hamhuis. Not even any preliminary talks apparently. If we lose Hamhuis for nothing( as I fully expect we will with JBs horrid asset management) , then we're royally screwed.

How about going to the circus a la Burke circa 1999 and try to get in the top 3 in 2016 by acquiring 2 more 1sts at the trade deadline in trading Vrbata and Hamhuis...

What's better?

Trading up to draft Chychrun or drafting three times in the 1st round?

Needless to say, this is purely a hypothetical situation you're suggesting but we would have to know the approximate whereabouts of the 3 1st round picks and the quality of players we would target. If we would get more top 4 potential Dmen, or top 6 players with no elite players then I'd say go for quality and go after Chychrun.

How's Ben Hutton?

Looking good but still likely a couple years from having any NHL impact and a bit of a '?' as to whether he'll be bottom pair, top4 or top2 capable.

I'd say at this point he reasonably projects to a good #3-5 guy. But who knows? Hopefully he can exceed that and be a solid #2 (or better! :shock::towel: ).

Defense looking up... except for the fact we could be losing our best defenseman in Dan Hamhuis.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Hamhuis and Edler have both played in the Olympics, although Edler is bigger, has a harder shot, he's younger, and he may be more inconsistent defensively. But a few years back he was rounding out into a great unique talent before he had a serious back injury and surgery, now he's healthy, had an outstanding bounce back season, and he was just as good shutting teams down down low around the net as Hamhuis last season. Plus he had more points than Hamhuis last season and he's always gotten more points. I'll give Hamhuis the edge on being more aggressive and at times dropping the gloves, and being quicker with his stride and tight turns/punch stops. Also Tanev is turning into a Hamhuis like defenseman, they're very similar and Tanev can take over for Hamhuis and be big for us now.

Sbisa is going to make a lot more than the OP has stated (1.75 a year, lol I wish)! Try 3.2 / 3.6 / 4

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/VAN?year=2016

And his numbers for Tanev are off aswell he only makes 3.5 for the next 2 years than it jumps to 5 for 3 years

Thank you. Corrected. Was using NHLnumbers too but I looked at their salaries instead of their cap hits. Good catches guys. Thanks again.

Quality >>>>>>>>>> quantity and I'd rather the team bottom out for a short time, then draft a blue-line stud (i.e. no more taking wingers with high picks) rather than piecing together veterans like we've been doing.

Already happened in 13/14, The team is back to 100 points and improving while transitioning.

Listen to Linden's interview from yesterday -- taking a D at their pick was too early for those on the board. Reaching to fill a positional need isn't a wise way to draft. Boeser was the right pick.

When Benning trades Patrick McNally, the kind of puck mover with top four upside we need, who just had a great year and broke out, for a 7th round pick and says we felt we had guys ahead of him like Ben Hutton and Jordan Subban, I think he's confident in the defenseman pool. He also traded Clendening who has Ehrhoff-esque upside and is only 22, once again he says we felt we had depth there with a guy like Frank Corrado. Clendening came from a slick offensive Torey Krug like defenseman in Gustav Forsling. And how did we get Forsling? A 5th round pick! I trust Benning's ability to build a dominant defense core when he can draft like that and not have to run out and sacrifice picks and good pieces for a Chychrun, Day, or Krys. 5th round pick in 2014 (one year ago)--->Forsling--->Clendening--->throw in for Brandon Sutter!

That's fantastic, and we have Jordan Subban who is basically another forward out there and was 4th in OHL scoring by defenseman, and older brother P.K. "Norris winning" Subban said "Jordan's skill level is much better than mine". And how many other teams have TWO defenseman in their pool who are respectively 6'7 220, and 6,6 235. Then when Benning drafts Guillaume Brisebois in the 3rd round and says "If we had a 2nd round pick, Guillaume Brisebois is the guy we still would taken." I trust his belief that Brisebois will turn into a top four guy. Brisebois also said he models his game after Vlasic, Vlasic was taken in the same area in the draft and is now Olympic gold medal winning defenseman. We have to trust some of the pieces we have, their will be huge surprises beside the busts, yes we should acquire a defenseman with Elite number 1 potential, but it's not really that bad. Out of young defenseman in Tanev, Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Corrado, and prospects in Pedan, J. Subban, Hutton, Sautner, McEneny, M. Stewart, Cederholm, G. Brisebois, Blain, Williamson, Tryamkin, Neill, and Olson, how many are REALLY going to be busts or just bottom pairing blue liners. I see Subban, Brisebois, and Stewart as big suprises with good upside. The price for a Chychrun, Krys, or Day would not be worth it, your looking at a package like Tanev, Boeser, and a 1st to get even negotiating. Like what happened when Seth Jones and Ekblad were drafted, teams were calling Sakic, and Tallon about the 1st overall, no one got close to wanting to try to assemble the package being asked. Then when the Ekblad draft came, Toronto phoned Florida about the 1st because they obviously wanted Ekblad. Dale Tallon said "You're not going to like the players I'm going to have to pick off your roster." It was likely around one of van Riemsdyk, Bozak, or Lupul, then definitely a defenseman like Morgan Reilly, and a 1st. Looking at it now, you can see why, look how nicely Reilly is panning out, potential Keith Yandle numbers there, but then you look at not only Ekblad's points as an 18 year old, but his entire game. Instantly a top end minute munched Florida.

Already happened in 13/14, The team is back to 100 points and improving while transitioning.

Listen to Linden's interview from yesterday -- taking a D at their pick was too early for those on the board. Reaching to fill a positional need isn't a wise way to draft. Boeser was the right pick.

When quizzed why he took a forward at 23 rather than what they needed, a D, Benning said that at that point in the draft you take the BPA. I took this to mean that at 23, you have a 50% chance of drafting an NHL player so you'd better chose from the whole pool of players (BPA) rather than limit the field by drafting for position. Of course the worst case would be to draft in the 1st round and the poor guy never plays an NHL game (aka Patrick White).

So, if your pick is in the top 5 (90%+ success rate) or top 10 in a good year (80%) you can draft for position because there is a high probability that you"ll get a player.

I'm not certain on this, which is why I'm asking. Is my logic correct? Do you know?

Archived