The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Gonchar trying out for pens

NucksCelts

This sounds like it could be a cinderella story, older D man joins the team he had the most success with in the past. Hope he makes it and puts up 30 plus points. Pens do need a reliable offensive D man since Letang always finds a way to miss large portions of each season it seems.

He would be a fantastic mentor for all those puck movers in Pittsburgh, Pouliot in particular. He will need a mentor and guide, and I don't think an injured Letang for half the season will cut it.

i'm so sick of hearing about mentorship in the nhl around here.

the vast majority of young players don't need or want to have their hands held, and the vast majority of veterans have no interest in doing so.

mentorship happens in much subtler ways than people around here think, and it makes no difference whether that person is the same position and style of player or an assistant equipment manager. the player isn't being mentored, the person is.

the vast majority of young players don't need or want to have their hands held, and the vast majority of veterans have no interest in doing so.

mentorship happens in much subtler ways than people around here think, and it makes no difference whether that person is the same position and style of player or an assistant equipment manager. the player isn't being mentored, the person is.

I agree so much with this.

The other one that gets me is when people talk about players playing on the same line so they can mentor each other. Guys don't give advice on the ice they call plays. Its the guys on the bench who watch whats going on and see the big picture that often give the best advice.

Well said.

I'll always cheer on old guys like Gonchar. You have to give him credit for believing he still has another season of quality hockey in him.

• 1 month later...

Penguins release defenseman Gonchar from tryout

Saturday, 10.03.2015 / 3:28 PM
By NHL.com Staff - / 2015-16 Preseason Blog

The Pittsburgh Penguins released defenseman Sergei Gonchar from his professional tryout contract Saturday.

Gonchar 41, signed with the Penguins on Aug. 13. He played five seasons with the Penguins from 2005-10 and won the Stanley Cup in 2009. Gonchar has played for the Washington Capitals, Boston Bruins, Ottawa Senators, Dallas Stars and Montreal Canadiens during his 20-year NHL career.

Gonchar, who was selected by the Capitals in the first round (No. 14) in the 1992 NHL Draft, had one goal and 14 points in 48 games with the Stars and Canadiens last season. He has 220 goals and 811 points in 1,301 NHL games.

Archived