The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Deadwood, "the best drama HBO has ever made," finally getting its revival(?)

GLASSJAW

I haven't watched a single episode of Deadwood, but it's on my list, right beside Soprano's which never received a fair shake. I couldn't even get past the 1st episode without being bored. Deadwood always seemed so bleakly coloured, too much grey to subject myself to. Perhaps I've had that completely wrong this whole time.

I powered through 2 seasons of The Wire. It was entertaining at times, but I mostly got sick of hearing McNutty say Barksdale 23 times a show. If I watch a cop drama it has to be action drama like The Shield, which isn't perfect either but at least had a bit more spice to go alongside the predictable everybody screw everybody over.

I know this is a Deadwood thread, and disclaimer: I'm not much of a fan of the superhero genre, but Jessica Jones has been interesting as a psychological thriller. On the last episode, maybe Deadwood should be next. 

2 hours ago, Green Building said:

I haven't watched a single episode of Deadwood, but it's on my list, right beside Soprano's which never received a fair shake. I couldn't even get past the 1st episode without being bored. Deadwood always seemed so bleakly coloured, too much grey to subject myself to. Perhaps I've had that completely wrong this whole time.

I powered through 2 seasons of The Wire. It was entertaining at times, but I mostly got sick of hearing McNutty say Barksdale 23 times a show. If I watch a cop drama it has to be action drama like The Shield, which isn't perfect either but at least had a bit more spice to go alongside the predictable everybody screw everybody over.

I know this is a Deadwood thread, and disclaimer: I'm not much of a fan of the superhero genre, but Jessica Jones has been interesting as a psychological thriller. On the last episode, maybe Deadwood should be next. 

The bleak and the gray create the atmosphere of Deadwood.  It's not a western without a dark dusty saloon.

The reason the Wire is so good is because it wasn't about action.  I loved the show because of the way it made me care about the characters and their struggles.  Imperfect people trying to survive in an imperfect situation.  Do yourself a favour and watch the rest of the series.

As for Jessica Jones, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  

If you're in to psychological thrillers then check out Hannibal.  Well cast, good dialogue, and beautifully grotesque imagery.

12 hours ago, Canuckas said:

The bleak and the gray create the atmosphere of Deadwood.  It's not a western without a dark dusty saloon.

The reason the Wire is so good is because it wasn't about action.  I loved the show because of the way it made me care about the characters and their struggles.  Imperfect people trying to survive in an imperfect situation.  Do yourself a favour and watch the rest of the series.

As for Jessica Jones, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  

If you're in to psychological thrillers then check out Hannibal.  Well cast, good dialogue, and beautifully grotesque imagery.

Starting Deadwood this weekend. As for The Wire, I'd say 2 seasons is more than a fair chance and plenty to know it isn't my cup of tea. It's not that I couldn't follow the story as it wove about, I just wasn't entertained enough from 1 episode to the next and I felt like I was just killing time rather than being entertained when I prefer to feel both. 

Hannibal is a great suggestion; that and season 2 of Fargo are in the near future.

Happy about this but you lost me at "Best drama HBO has ever made". The Wire just may be the greatest television series in the history of the medium, although my vote would go to Breaking Bad. The Wire just isn't audience-friendly enough for your average television viewer.

"Best show ever" really isn't something you can quantify. It comes down to personal preference.

I loved Deadwood and am definitely looking forward to this, but I also love GoT, Boardwalk Empire, True Detective, The Newsroom, Treme, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers I like a lot of the Showtime stuff like Dexter, Shameless, Penny Dreadful, House of Lies as well a couple of the Cinemax titles, like Banshee and Strike Back.....Rescue Me on FX is another favorite that I would love to see return.

(I haven't seen The Wire. Someday, I will binge watch)

I love them all and there really isn't much point in trying to rank them.

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

"Best show ever" really isn't something you can quantify. It comes down to personal preference.

are you referring to the thread title? don't be so boring, RUPERT. of course it's just personal preference, and of course you can't quantify it. but you can talk about it(!), which is why I put it in quotations and then linked to the article where the person said it. 

personally, I think it's a toss up between Deadwood and Sopranos. I don't think anything even comes close, really

11 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

are you referring to the thread title? don't be so boring, RUPERT. of course it's just personal preference, and of course you can't quantify it. but you can talk about it(!), which is why I put it in quotations and then linked to the article where the person said it. 

personally, I think it's a toss up between Deadwood and Sopranos. I don't think anything even comes close, really

No. I was referring to a previous post where one poster advocated Deadwood as the "best ever" and another disagreed, saying it was the Wire.

• 1 year later...

Damn. Horrible news, RIP Powers Booth.

I know you were looking forward to it GJ but I just couldn't get behind the revival. I can't remember any instance where such an endeavour panned out. I am glad that I get to remember Boothe through his character as is, perfect in his own way.

Deadwood was very well done. Great cast and characters.  Ranks up there with Sopranos and Breaking Bad.  Watching Boardwalk Empire for the first time pretty good so far.  Carnivale was quirky but fun.  Wonder in the Deadwood revival if Chinatown has expanded exponentially filled with fully purchased condo towers sparsely occupied driving prices up so high many of the town folk are forced to move to nearby Lead.  Gold rushes don't last forever but they ain't making any more land so real estate is the new gold rush.

8 hours ago, Kryten said:

Damn. Horrible news, RIP Powers Booth.

I know you were looking forward to it GJ but I just couldn't get behind the revival. I can't remember any instance where such an endeavour panned out. I am glad that I get to remember Boothe through his character as is, perfect in his own way.

Normally I would share your skepticism, but I just have too much faith in Milch. although I am more concerned now than ever before, due to the aged cast (how are they going to work that in?) and the fact that two of my favourite characters are either dead or in jail (Merrick, Tolliver)

but still, Twin Peaks revival starts tomorrow -- and I have nothing but 100% faith in it being good.

Archived