The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Retirement] Danny Briere hangs em up at age 37

Given the contracts each received it was the correct decision.

I dunno about that. As mentioned Briere was one of the best playoff performers in the league. He netted 72 points in 68 playoff games with the Flyers and absolutely earned his contract based on his playoff dominance. I don't think anyone can say he was a bad signing.

As for Buffalo they went from tied as the #1 team in hockey with 113 points with the #1 offense in the NHL scoring 308 goals to a team that missed the playoffs entire and scored 255 goals. I believe they only made the playoffs twice since Briere and Drury left and got bounced in the 1st round both times.

Buffalo never returned to the level they were after losing them where as Philadelphia went from the last place team to a team that came close to winning a cup and had a few impressive playoff runs in the Briere era.

Well your grudge should be with the management at the time, Darcy Regier. He decided that neither Drury or Briere was worth going after.

Trust me, I did and still do. I was at more than one game where everybody chanted "Fire Darcy". What happened actually was, he refused to talk about a new contract with either of them during the season, so Drury just left. Briere had his feelings hurt and went to Philadelphia shortly thereafter. That's why Vanek got a 7.1 million dollar contract back then. The Sabres couldn't lose all 3.

Archived