The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign Mike Santorelli

The Ducks have signed former Canucks forward Mike Santorelli to a one-year contract worth $875K:

The Ducks have signed center Mike Santorelli to a one-year contract. Per club policy, no financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

Santorelli, 29, has appeared in 336 NHL games, scoring 55-65=120 points with 70 penalty minutes (PIM). He played in 79 NHL games last year with Toronto and Nashville, scoring 12-21=33 points with 14 PIM. He was acquired by Nashville with Cody Franson from Toronto in exchange for Nashville’s first-round selection in the 2015 Draft, and forwards Brendan Leipsic and Olli Jokinen.

A native of Vancouver, B.C., Santorelli was drafted by Nashville in the sixth round (178th overall) of the 2004 NHL Draft. He has played with Nashville, Florida, Winnipeg, Vancouver and Toronto in his career, setting career-highs with 20-21=41 points in 82 games with the Panthers in 2010-11.

Santorelli played at Northern Michigan from 2004-07 before turning professional and joining the Milwaukee Admirals of the AHL. He played in the 2009 AHL All-Star Game and made his NHL debut with the Predators in the 2008-09 season, appearing in seven games.

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=777110

Ducks going all in for a cup! He will bring it when the time is right. I wouldn't judge his last stint in Nashville with much salt. He was traded from there originally probably weird for him going back and probably struggled to fit back in. A fresh start on a good team is just what he needs. Looks like I'll be cheering for the ducks this off season once we are knocked out.

Hopefully he finally lands this as a permanent home. Don't get me wrong, it must be amazing getting paid to play hockey but It must suck having to constantly be on the move, especially if he has a family.

The fact he keeps getting one-year deals is more a result of the salary cap than is indicative of his play or his agent's capabilities. The cap has the rich getting richer and the "journeymen" searching for their next "low-ball' one year deal. It's going to continue to get worse. Look at Pittsburg, they are so top-heavy there bottom 6 will have to play near league minimum.

I'm not upset that Benning didn't sign him, we are well stocked in 3rd liners as it is now, but I just love Santo's work ethic. He is a decent NHLer who deserves a roster spot somewhere. Good for him for ending up on a contender. At least he'll have some familiar faces around.

He was better on a bad team like Toronto than a great team like predators

Lots of players struggle whendealt on deadline day. He never got in a groove or adjusted well. Look at Vermette, took him a very long time to play well for the blackhawks.

Lots of examples of forwards *and dmen* production/play changing dramatically after a deadline deal.

Archived