The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Ducks sign Mike Santorelli

And the difference between us drafting Hodgson and drafting Erik Karlsson was zero wins. He was there to be drafted, but we chose a center instead of drafting what would end up being the best puck mover in the draft.

Drafting has to be done well no matter where you draft. It's easy to say "we could have drafted Doughty/Stamkos" but there are no guarantees these guys will always be available. Sometimes you get a Johnson or Gudbranson instead. That draft we could have drafted Karlsson and Stepan, but instead went with Hodgson snd Sauve. A draft like that could have changed our franchise and we didn't need to finish dead last to do it.

I like Karlsson, but ... meh... A few years ago people were crying about Myers. Neither are Doughty/Stamkos.

As for as landing a Johnson or a Gudbranson instead, I suppose that underlines the importance of building based on the quality of draft years as part of a long-term plan. But we might not have a plan at all, so...

Ducks look stack. All they need now is Vrbata at the deadline for 2016 1st + 3rd and a prospect.

With the way Vrbata disappeared in the playoffs last spring, I will volunteer to drive his sad sacked butt to the airport. I will be amazed if the Canucks can pull off a first and third draft pick for Vrbata.

He probably took a heavy discount to be with a top contender. I assume he could have gotten 2-3 times that fairly easily.

There is absolutely no way that someone was going to pay three times this contract for Mike Santorelli. The overvaluation of this guy puts the love for Lack and Kassian to shame.

I like Karlsson, but ... meh... A few years ago people were crying about Myers. Neither are Doughty/Stamkos.

As for as landing a Johnson or a Gudbranson instead, I suppose that underlines the importance of building based on the quality of draft years as part of a long-term plan. But we might not have a plan at all, so...

A two time Norris winner is just "meh"? I don't get that. He would be the best puck mover this team has ever seen.

Maybe he doesn't bring nearly as much as Doughty in an all around game, but anyone who says they wouldn't be happy to have him on their team is crazy.

I think everyone would be happy to have Karlsson or Myers over Hodgson right now. The point is these cornerstone players can be found without finishing dead last.

A two time Norris winner is just "meh"? I don't get that. He would be the best puck mover this team has ever seen.

Maybe he doesn't bring nearly as much as Doughty in an all around game, but anyone who says they wouldn't be happy to have him on their team is crazy.

I think everyone would be happy to have Karlsson or Myers over Hodgson right now. The point is these cornerstone players can be found without finishing dead last.

I see what you're saying, but winning the Norris and any other regular season award doesn't mean much to me. Sorry. Karlsson has his flaws. Sure he's a good player, but perhaps not good enough. I don't even like Doughty as a person, but I certainly would've finished with seven less regular season wins to get him.

Parity means that 'dead last' isn't even that bad. Ask Buffalo. They filled their arena all last season long.

He will be fouth line or 13th forward at minimum. Will fill in for injuries, help them with C depth, FO % and shootout wins while chipping in offensivley and being def reliable.

Yeah it's where I see him and Horcoff already, then Thompson comes back and yeah. Horcoff I can see as being on perhaps his last year or two so why not sign on as depth ? but Santorelli ? nah he can be used as a solid 3rd liner on many other teasm and ones with a chance to be in the Playoffs.

Poor Santo loved having him on the team would much rather him over Vey. I hope someone eventually gives him what he's worth. One of the only bright spots under Torts him and Stanton.

He is getting paid what he is worth...875K. What do you think a player who has only played one full season, 4 years ago, is worth? He is injury prone and at best a top 6 injury fill-in. The guy should be happy that any team wants his services.

Parity is one thing that enables us, and any team, to remain competitive, no matter what steps they take towards building a winner. Something to consider. The difference between Hodgson and Stamkos/Doughty for us, for instance, was seven meaningless wins.

I want this team to transform into a winner, not just transform into another team. Time will tell.

This team's future isn't soft, but it isn't strong either. It is mediocre. We could do better. The problem going forward as-is is that the fans know this. Meanwhile, there have been moves made to equate us to Calgary's painful pretend phase, as well as TO's, and they will both now peak as playoff pretenders.

The objective should be to win.

I hope we discontinue a pretend phase sooner rather than later, but success is hardly guaranteed regardless. It's going to take time and prudent planning. Right now the time is available but the planning has been a total mystery. Perhaps there is no plan. At least not one to win. Who knows. Time will tell.

I find the issue of putting players in too early to be a side effect of the main issue in that a lot of the prospects we have just aren't that great. If they're ready, they're ready. But that being said, our depth level this season is fairly weak. Thank God for parity. It's this parity that will allow this team to 'remain competitive' with the Sedins, however, we did finish poorly with them in the past.

You have a fair point about parity.

Your kidding yourself otherwise IMO. Calgary will be a force. Monahan is a 20 year old 210 lb centre who has already scored 30 goals in a season. Don't be surprised if he is a force for the next 12 years in this league. They have Brodie & Hamilton to anchor their blue line for years. Brodie is not IMO a future Norris winner or anything. Buy he appears a young Dan Hamhuis, with a bigger shot and a little slicker with the puck. That's still extremely good. Hamilton looks similar, but 6'5.'' Johnny Hockey... That is the making of an extremely serious core! Backlund is as good, or better than Sutter as a depth centre. And they are playing along still using "pretend" players such as Hudler, Jones, Russell & Wideman, now Frolik. Who are dangerous when deployed properly alongside a good core.

Then throw in Bennett! And they also have a 2knd tier of good young players & prospects. Jooris. They signed stud college D man Kenny Morrison who looks like a bigger version of Danny DeKeyser. Your number one overall pick, Rasmus Anderson. Kylington. Colburne is 6'5'' or something and playing well. Granlund is capable.

Its worth noting they picked up all these core & promising players through their pretend phase. Without drafting number one or two. Or scoring big and get the golden piece back when they did offload Iginla. Tanking to get a Chychrun is overated.

Oh, back to Anaheim. They also went through, just, a single big down year. But had several years after their cup where they flapped around pretending like we have the last 3 years. They came out with Fowler, Lindholme, Theodore, etc. Fact is, both got an anchor when they did pick 5th overall. And have been getting solid value in later rounds.

I'm guessing the Ducks line-up will look something like this, after the Santorelli signing:

Maroon - Getzlaf - Perry

Hagelin - Kesler - Silfverberg

Cogliano - Rakell - Stewart

Sekac - Horcoff - Santorelli

I reckon we should forget 3rd or 4th line status. I suggest match all the two way guys up & all the offensive players. Bottom 2 lines IMO will probably be;

Sekac Horcoff Stewart

Cogliano Rakell Santorelli

And I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see a lot of that "4th line." Those guys are all hard on the puck and play a feisty, competitive game. Even where not physically imposing. That 3rd line is pure silky offense with some beef in Stewart who can also bury the puck.

You have a fair point about parity.

Your kidding yourself otherwise IMO. Calgary will be a force. Monahan is a 20 year old 210 lb centre who has already scored 30 goals in a season. Don't be surprised if he is a force for the next 12 years in this league. They have Brodie & Hamilton to anchor their blue line for years. Brodie is not IMO a future Norris winner or anything. Buy he appears a young Dan Hamhuis, with a bigger shot and a little slicker with the puck. That's still extremely good. Hamilton looks similar, but 6'5.'' Johnny Hockey... That is the making of an extremely serious core! Backlund is as good, or better than Sutter as a depth centre. And they are playing along still using "pretend" players such as Hudler, Jones, Russell & Wideman, now Frolik. Who are dangerous when deployed properly alongside a good core.

Then throw in Bennett! And they also have a 2knd tier of good young players & prospects. Jooris. They signed stud college D man Kenny Morrison who looks like a bigger version of Danny DeKeyser. Your number one overall pick, Rasmus Anderson. Kylington. Colburne is 6'5'' or something and playing well. Granlund is capable.

Its worth noting they picked up all these core & promising players through their pretend phase. Without drafting number one or two. Or scoring big and get the golden piece back when they did offload Iginla. Tanking to get a Chychrun is overated.

Oh, back to Anaheim. They also went through, just, a single big down year. But had several years after their cup where they flapped around pretending like we have the last 3 years. They came out with Fowler, Lindholme, Theodore, etc. Fact is, both got an anchor when they did pick 5th overall. And have been getting solid value in later rounds.

I reckon we should forget 3rd or 4th line status. I suggest match all the two way guys up & all the offensive players. Bottom 2 lines IMO will probably be;

Sekac Horcoff Stewart

Cogliano Rakell Santorelli

And I would not be the slightest bit surprised to see a lot of that "4th line." Those guys are all hard on the puck and play a feisty, competitive game. Even where not physically imposing. That 3rd line is pure silky offense with some beef in Stewart who can also bury the puck.

Calgary is fairly overrated currently and stand to lose multiple players to free agency later. This upcoming season might be it for them. Hudler, Fraudreau, Monahan, Colborne, Jooris, Grandlund, Giordano, Russell. All will get big raises. I'm not concerned about Calgary nor any other Canadian team. It's the American ones that we should be comparing ourselves with because they win all the cups these days.

However, we are falling behind Calgary for the time being. I'm not sure what great plan is in place to overtake them, but most here just assume all will be well. Perhaps by magic? I think we can do better.

I don't understand the concept of "hope the Ducks win the Cup because they have Bieksa".

The Ducks are the enemy. Bieksa and Kesler and that d-bag O'Brien are the enemy. Santo is now the enemy. Do you really think these guys care about the Canucks or the fans in Vancouver? You can bet these guys would love nothing more than to stick it to their former team, laughing as they celebrate wins and thank God they don't have to live through another rainy season in Vancouver, under the microscope with our media. How could any self-respecting Canucks fan cheer for Kesler, after how he hurt the team by leaving the way he did. He gave up on the Canucks, and stuck it to us on his way out. Do you really think Bieksa will share his Cup victory with Vancouver fans after the Ducks win it? Maybe to throw it in our faces.

Sorry, I hope the Ducks bite the big one this year. Doubtful, but that's what I hope. Go Canucks.

Archived